Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tokina 11-16 f2.8

• 17-01-2009 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I was in a shop today and they told me this lens won't work with a FF camera !!

My friend has this lens with his old SLR .. ,, Film SLR are FF so why won't it work with the 5D /IDs ??

I think he's wrong...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

He is right.

Seriously as far as I know this is only for a cropped frame Cam, I got to use this at a fest last summer from a German guy...he loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yeah you'd be hard put to find an 11->16 rectilinear for a full frame body. It might have worked at the 16mm end of the scale but it definately would vignette badly at the 11mm end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Strange .. so how can you get that super wide with a FF ?

cos the 11 works great with the film ... that's what confuses me ..
    film is FF ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

11 on a crop frame is not really 11 though it's 17.6, so in fact you've a wider option when you use the 17-40L on a FF.

jackdaw wrote: »
    Strange .. so how can you get that super wide with a FF ?

cos the 11 works great with the film ... that's what confuses me ..
    film is FF ...

Thats kinda bizarre, maybe it has loads of extra coverage or something. You'd expect it to have massive falloff toward the edges of the frame.

• Advertisement

11 on a crop frame is not really 11 though it's 17.6, so in fact you've a wider option when you use the 17-40L on a FF.

Thats true in crop terms. If the 11->16 actually works on FF with no fall off though (which I doubt, I think there's been crossed wires somewhere) then you'd have an 11mm lens. 11mm is 11mm, regardless of crop factor. I see what you're saying above though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

actually, the tokina 11-16mm will work in a Nikon D700 in FF without vignette after 14.5mm, not sure about canon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Canon as far as i know you just can after 16mm, this is usually the widest you can get in a 35mm...

Duchovny wrote: »
    Canon as far as i know you just can after 16mm, this is usually the widest you can get in a 35mm...

So what about the Canon L lens 14mm super wide ?

surely that works nice on FF ... its L , i would expect it to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It does indeed.

• Advertisement

So what about the Canon L lens 14mm super wide ?

surely that works nice on FF ... its L , i would expect it to ?

And not to forget the nikon 14-24 f/2.8 ... widest FF rectilinear zoom in the world I think when it was first released.

OK so would i be better off getting a fisheye for super wide effect ??

the 15mm fisheye ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Sigma make an affordable ultra-wide full frame lens (12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG) that might suit your needs. I looked at this for my Nikon D700 but ended up going for the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 AF-S instead, over twice the price but it is an amazing lens :pac::pac::pac:

Arciphel wrote: »
    Sigma make an affordable ultra-wide full frame lens (12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG) that might suit your needs. I looked at this for my Nikon D700 but ended up going for the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 AF-S instead, over twice the price but it is an amazing lens :pac::pac::pac:

You were probably far better off. I was just comparing the two using that handy pixel peeper thing that dragan sent around the other day. I think the corners of the nikon lens at f/2.8 are better than the center of the sigma at f/16 :-)

Thats the one arciphel was talking about above. I think you gotta ask youself, do you -really- want an ultrawide ? they're not cheap, and 12 or 14mm is just insanely wideangle. I'm pretty happy with my 20mm, there are very few situations where I'd actually envision going wider. Maybe thats just a lack of imagination on my part though :-)

If you want to experiment I'd pick up one of those cheap russian fisheyes in the appropriate mount. If you find yoursefl using it a lot then splash out the cash for a rectilinear

Just after i had a look through an SLR film camera with the 11-16 at 11mm ...
    it looked cool ... my feet looked miles away !!

maybe i'll try the 16-35 ... i wonder where i could have a go of one ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Crispin

Sigma 12-24 is made for full frame cameras. has like a 122 degree field of view (crazy wide). front element is huge so you can't really use filters!

Crispin wrote: »
    Sigma 12-24 is made for full frame cameras. has like a 122 degree field of view (crazy wide). front element is huge so you can't really use filters!

I need to see some sample shots ...

maybe ill check flickr later...- no access here ...
    maybe someone can post some up here... preferably taken on a FF cam...

I need to see some sample shots ...

maybe ill check flickr later...- no access here ...
    maybe someone can post some up here... preferably taken on a FF cam...

here's a couple with the D700 and D3. Can't remember what the full frame canons are, but you can select them with the drop down ...

http://www.pixel-peeper.com/adv/?lens=10146&camera=767&perpage=12&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&iso_min=none&iso_max=none&exp_min=none&exp_max=none&res=1
    http://www.pixel-peeper.com/adv/?lens=10146&camera=972&perpage=12&focal_min=none&focal_max=none&aperture_min=none&aperture_max=none&iso_min=none&iso_max=none&exp_min=none&exp_max=none&res=1

• Advertisement
Advertisement