Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this pm posting rule

Options
  • 17-01-2009 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

I don't have any pm that I feel the need to post, this is just something that I have wondered for a bit.

Why are people not allowed to publish a pm? Surely it is like saying that someone can not publish a letter/email that has been sent to them. Surely it is "theirs" once it arrives in their inbox?

It just feels to me that people can hide behind the fact that they can say something and not have it move into the public realm.
    It feels like, if it is not something that is suitable to the general boards then you should think twice about sending it
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its a Private Message - the key being in the word private. Any communication over PM is expected to remain private and is not for the public unless both partys agree to the publication. Its how the system is supposed to work on every web forum on the internet. :)

Any issues within PMs should be reported by clicking the new "Report" feature on the message. An Smod will then deal with the report as appropriate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Personally, I think that any PM's relating to modding (ban messages, warnings, etc) should be permitted. I suspect the majority of users prefer to leave them totally private so that needs to be respected though.

Thanks to the latest VB version and CuLT, you can now report PM's which you feel are abusive so it's not a closed loop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'm curious about this.

Where do the reported PM's go?
    Are they visible to all mods in the reported posts forum along with the content? Or do they go somewhere that only smods/admins have access to?

I'm not sure I'm happy about the former if it's true.

I've nothing to hide or report by the way, I just think making a pm visible like this is nearly as bad as posting the contents in a public thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Sully wrote: »
    Its a Private Message - the key being in the word private. Any communication over PM is expected to remain private and is not for the public unless both partys agree to the publication. Its how the system is supposed to work on every web forum on the internet. :)

Any issues within PMs should be reported by clicking the new "Report" feature on the message. An Smod will then deal with the report as appropriate.
    You see this is where we would differ
    Just because person A sends a message does not mean that person B (receiver) has agreed to anything being private.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Afaik, if I send you a letter, I retain the copyright on that letter.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

guys as i said, just wondering.
    It is just something that I was thinking of and wanted the opinions of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Just because person A sends a message does not mean that person B (receiver) has agreed to anything being private.

My reading of this is that if they send a message via private message - the message is only meant for you and the sender.

If they wish the public to see it, I would presume they would use the visitor message

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

SteveC wrote: »
    I'm curious about this.

Where do the reported PM's go?
    Are they visible to all mods in the reported posts forum along with the content? Or do they go somewhere that only smods/admins have access to?

I'm not sure I'm happy about the former if it's true.

I've nothing to hide or report by the way, I just think making a pm visible like this is nearly as bad as posting the contents in a public thread.

Its visible to mods/smods/admins at the moment. Whether it will stay that way or not, I have no idea.

Doesn't matter. Its still a private message. You don't have to open the PM if you want to therefore avoiding the privacy bit. However if anyone sends you a non rule breaking PM, then its private unless the other party agrees to it being released or an admin/smod requires it.

If it was a public private message you have the visitor message section.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Its visible to mods/smods/admins at the moment. Whether it will stay that way or not, I have no idea.
    Every mod? :s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hmmm, I can see this feature being open to abuse.
    For example, hypothetically, if I had a private conversation with you that, say, led to us divulging something personal like a phone number or address - all legitimate messages and within the rules. We subsequently have an argument that gets messy and, for the lulz, one of us reports a pm with personal information in it - not a good situation.

At present, the only ones that deal with pm problems are smods + admins and I feel that they are the only ones who should see the reported messages.

It's a bit like general users being able to see the reported posts forum - no need, it's none of our business.
    Doesn't matter. Its still a private message. You don't have to open the PM if you want to therefore avoiding the privacy bit. However if anyone sends you a non rule breaking PM, then its private unless the other party agrees to it being released or an admin/smod requires it.
    +1 and I think this backs up what I am trying to say.

I would imagine if you had a problem with a pm which you received, you still have the option of forwarding it onto to a Mod/SMod/Admin instead of selecting the report button.

That way it is not available for all Mods/SMods/Admin to see it.

Saibh wrote: »
    I would imagine if you had a problem with a pm which you received, you still have the option of forwarding it onto to a Mod/SMod/Admin instead of selecting the report button.

That's true but the onus on the receiver whether or not to report what you sent them privately. Most aren't going to know or care what happens when they click the report button.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Every mod? :s

Yup.. Not sure if that was intended or not as these things take time to get sorted.
    Hmmm, I can see this feature being open to abuse.
    For example, hypothetically, if I had a private conversation with you that, say, led to us divulging something personal like a phone number or address - all legitimate messages and within the rules. We subsequently have an argument that gets messy and, for the lulz, one of us reports a pm with personal information in it - not a good situation.

At present, the only ones that deal with pm problems are smods + admins and I feel that they are the only ones who should see the reported messages.

I would imagine personal information would be removed..

Yup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

esel wrote: »
    Afaik, if I send you a letter, I retain the copyright on that letter.

but if you send a PM, boards.ie retains the copyright on that PM. just like they do any other post on the forum.

I personally don't see why PMs relating to forum moderation should be prevented from being disclosed on the forums, but ultimately it's an admin call, and we can only accept what they decide.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I would imagine if you had a problem with a pm which you received, you still have the option of forwarding it onto to a Mod/SMod/Admin.

Indeed that option is still there.

Good to see what people think
    Personally I wouldn't send something to someone if it were not suitable for broader view but that's just me

Personally I wouldn't send something to someone if it were not suitable for broader view but that's just me
    I disagree, I've pm'd my mobile number on occasion, I wouldn't consider that against any rules or offensive in any way but I still wouldn't consider it something that is 'suitable for broader view' as you put it.

And I apologise if I diverted the topic slightly with what I posted earlier, I do think it's relevant to the privacy issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My reading of this is that if they send a message via private message - the message is only meant for you and the sender.

If they wish the public to see it, I would presume they would use the visitor message
    That to me is the most obious and logical way to look at it .Would be no use in having the PM box otherwise .

But who can be 100% sure who gets to see what PM's on any message boards / forums ? .

latchyco wrote: »
    That to me is the most obious and logical way to look at it .Would be no use in having the PM box otherwise .

But who can be 100% sure who gets to see what PM's on any message boards / forums ? .

I do type sense an odd time:o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Assume everything is visible. It is the net, after all!

Not your ornery onager

I do type sense an odd time:o
    I'll take your word for it so . :o

In VBB only admins (with both site admin and vb admin access) can do it, it's a pain in the ass process to do though. Not worth the effort unless there is something serious to investigate.

Indeed , my JFK conspiricy posts are in that table someplace to . :)

In VBB only admins (with both site admin and vb admin access) can do it, it's a pain in the ass process to do though. Not worth the effort unless there is something serious to investigate.
    Understandable in times of serious security investigations .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

but if you send a PM, boards.ie retains the copyright on that PM. just like they do any other post on the forum.
    Boards doesn't have the copyright on your public messages, let alone private ones. When you post, you're giving the webboard the right to store and display your postings but the copyright is still yours.

sceptre wrote: »
    Boards doesn't have the copyright on your public messages, let alone private ones. When you post, you're giving the webboard the right to store and display your postings but the copyright is still yours.

We could make a mint if we sold the copyright of our posts to Boards :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

:eek:

:)

Advertisement