Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

this pm posting rule

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Should remain private within reason, anything a mod sends about modding decisions shouold be postable. I have seen people given out to for not asking the mod in the past which I think is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Within reason", that's the problem. One user's 'reason' could be another user's 'madness'. To me, private means just that - private, not for public consumption (publication). That's not to say that anyone has carte blanche to libel, harass or abuse another user via PM. Obviously, PMs of such nature should be made available to the relevant authorities so that appropriate action can be taken.

The question is: who are the relevant authorities? Here, in the first instance, the relevant authorities on Boards are SMods and/or Admins. I can understand the concerns that have been expressed about the content of Reported PMs being visible to all Mods on boards.

Having said all that, this thread is what made me aware of this feature. As yet, I have not seen or read any such 'Reported PM' threads.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Reported PMs should not be accessible to regular Mods imo. Here is a good reason. (Mod forum thread)

Sorry, I realise that this thread isn't actually about reported PMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I don't see them as private ( due to the content can be looked at by my ISP and the admins of this site ) I do see them as personal. Like an actual letter that I have written to
    some one and it is for the most rude and ill mannered to pass on personal correspondance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I don't see them as private ( due to the content can be looked at by my ISP and the admins of this site ) I do see them as personal. Like an actual letter that I have written to
    some one and it is for the most rude and ill mannered to pass on personal correspondance.

I like this reasoning, i must say.
    I guess that i was thinking more of official moderation pm when i thought of this issue. Also I was not aware of the "report" function, which covers most other issues.
    As for phone numbers, there are already rules in some fora, that prevents the publication of personally identifying information in an
    Email that is posted

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

SteveC wrote: »
    At present, the only ones that deal with pm problems are smods + admins and I feel that they are the only ones who should see the reported messages.

I would agree with you here, I'm not sure if it's possible to restrict them in that way though. I genuinely don't see any benefit in all mods being able to see reported posts never mind reported PMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Sully wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. Its still a private message. You don't have to open the PM if you want to therefore avoiding the privacy bit. However if anyone sends you a non rule breaking PM, then its private unless the other party agrees to it being released or an admin/smod requires it.

If it was a public private message you have the visitor message section.

I can read the contents of every PM sent to me in the email which tells me that I have received a PM. The sender of the email is a bot with no legal rights and since the sender of the PM is not the sender of the email I am not bound by any "secrecy" clause between me and the PM sender. If I don't open the PM but just make public the contents of the email I haven't technically breached any confidentiallity clause as I never saw the PM.

Now there's a can of worms for someone cleverer than I to sort out. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hagar wrote: »
    I can read the contents of every PM sent to me in the email which tells me that I have received a PM. The sender of the email is a bot with no legal rights and since the sender of the PM is not the sender of the email I am not bound by any "secrecy" clause between me and the PM sender. If I don't open the PM but just make public the contents of the email I haven't technically breached any confidentiallity clause as I never saw the PM.

Now there's a can of worms for someone cleverer than I to sort out. :D

Turn of PM notification. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Makes it easier ,quicker and less time consuming to delete the email if you have already read it by pm on the forum :) .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

nesf wrote: »
    I would agree with you here, I'm not sure if it's possible to restrict them in that way though. I genuinely don't see any benefit in all mods being able to see reported posts never mind reported PMs.
    I've done some digging and even set up a VB3.8 to experiment on, it seems there is no way as yet to segregate them (in the default install at least). Maybe a plugin/hack could solve it.

Interesting to note that it was specifically requested in the VB development forums for the reported PM content to be published when reported.

@ Hagar, I think Thaed hit the nail on the head with her private vs personal comment. It's a question of ethics over semantics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

SteveC wrote: »
    @ Hagar, I think Thaed hit the nail on the head with her private vs personal comment. It's a question of ethics over semantics.
    I agree. I'm just pointing out a loophole that some less ethical posters could exploit. Perhap the text of the PM should not be quoted in the PM notification email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Can users just repeat the contents of a PM in public? If I got a PM from Dev saying how he thinks Cult is a *instert unpleasant comment* would I be able to put up a post saying

"lol, Dev just send me a PM describing Cult as a *instert unpleasant comment*?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can users just repeat the contents of a PM in public? If I got a PM from Dev saying how he thinks Cult is a *instert unpleasant comment* would I be able to put up a post saying

"lol, Dev just send me a PM describing Cult as a *instert unpleasant comment*?
    No, you can't.

You could however press the report button and that would have the same effect, albeit only the 6 million mods here would see it.

Advertisement