Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cordless phone won't ring

Options
  • 17-01-2009 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

I have siemens 5010 [eircom] cordless phone and also a wired phone same line. when the 5010 is off the cradle you cannot ring in to my number. Is this correct?

Should i be able to have the cordless beside me away from cradle and it ring when i get a call?The wired phone won't ring either so it gives engaged tone. I have no manual and do not know if there is some setting that allows this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Yes you should be able to take the cordless off the hook and have it beside you. Your dect may be faulty if it is giving an off hook tone when you take it away from the cradle. Is it new or old, roughly when was the last time you changed the batteries? Is it an Irish spec or a UK spec with the IRL/UK adaptor on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

Thanks for the reply
    FusionNet wrote: »
    Yes you should be able to take the cordless off the hook and have it beside you.
    OK
    Your dect may be faulty if it is giving an off hook tone when you take it away from the cradle.
    What is dect? EDIT: You mean http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECT. ? If so can it be fixed?
    Also it is OK to ring out on when say, i take it upstairs, but when i leave it there with power in battery people cannot ring me
    Is it new or old, roughly when was the last time you changed the batteries?
    My father had it unused for a few years, it came with his eircom package. I don't know about when the batteries were changed because the reading is that the battery is Ok and it is charging when on the cradle. i will try new ones though
    Is it an Irish spec or a UK spec with the IRL/UK adaptor on it?
    Irish spec I think no adapter anyway

EDIT: I seem to have fixed it. Not sure how? I managed to borrow a copy of the manual. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If the phone is off-hook you will be able to hear a dial tone / other tones from its speaker (generated by the phone line).

Taking the cordless phone off the cradle shouldn't take it off-hook. Just press the hang-up button (usually red button / hung up phone symbol) to make sure it's 'on-hook'. The only automatic setting these phones generally have is one where it will answer automatically when picked up, but only if the phone is ringing.

Also, most of those Siemens phones can tell when the phone's been left off the hook i.e. the telephone exchange cuts power to the line (after about 2 mins or so). The Siemens base station notices this and hangs up.

However, if you've DSL on the line, eircom seem to continiously power it. So, if you leave the phone off-hook it just plays a busy tone until you hang up again. This seems to be done to prevent a phone being left off the hook interferring with the DSL signals when the exchange cuts power.

Check all your connections are secure. It sounds like the DECT phone is faulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

It seems to work most times now. When it doesn't I think its because i do not always press the hang up button to return it to standby although it should return automatically and did now. I borrowed a manual and manage dto do something but not sure what. Will wait and see how it turns out

Thanks for all replies.

Advertisement