Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Making a portfolio

• 17-01-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Hello all,
    First of all this is kind of specific as it's for D.I.T
    Filling out the CAO at the moment and photography is one of my options,and i'd just like to know first of all whats the best way to go about making a portfolio?
    Links to sites if possible please :)
    And also is there anyone here doing the D.I.T course?And could you give me info on where/how you done your portfolio

Whether or not i go for the course,i think it will be handy to have one

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

hummm. I'll try dig out mine I had for DIT, didnt choose there in the end but I did recall the portfolio being rather stupid, artsy and what not, its quite specific what they wants, so i was told, not a matter of your best shots, they like a range of styles and techniques

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

You should be able to get a guideline of what they accept off the college, which I'd advise doing :)

Best way of making a portfolio... well, get yourself a decent portfolio first of all - One that'll last - They're always handy to have. Make sure it's clean, there's nothing falling about inside, and all the sheets look well.

It's all about presentation.

Now, they won't be looking for the best technical skills, that can all be shown, try show photos that you've thought about. Showing you can think about what you're photographing will be a lot more appealing than getting a perfect exposure.

I'd also recommend keeping a notebook of your research, photographers you like, and so on, so they can see your interests with photography. Mele might call it "rather stupid, artsy and what not" but tbh, if you can show your interests along with how you think about photography, you'll have a far better chance of getting in.

Jaysis... It only feels like yesterday when we were heading off with our portfolio's to all the colleges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

as with all Portfolio's you need a variation on styles and subjects.....I'm sure they would be impressed if you could include famous people/published images as well as vibrant colours - abstract imagery.

Displaying knowledge of lighting techniques, use of contrast, lead in lines, composure - rule of thirds....bending and breaking the rules.

I'm sure you'll find many people here to help - with advice and inspiration.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Mele might call it "rather stupid, artsy and what not" but tbh, if you can show your interests along with how you think about photography, you'll have a far better chance of getting in.

!

ah ya know whay i mean :P, a neccessary evil in my mind, some love that side some not so... but thats the advantage of these courses, you can really go your own way in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Fine Art media ftw, btw :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement