Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Download Allowance

Options
  • 17-01-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,

For the past 6 months i've been downloading about 20-25 gigs a month on BT with a 10 GB allowance.. They've never said a word about it.. But I somewhere on here that they have recently changed their tune and are beginning to charge for overuse..is this true? Has any body experienced this charge?

Maybe only charging for excessive use.. im on a 1mb connection and only ever go to about 20gigs..is this even considered a lot because I know some people on here usually d/l that in a day.

Would anybody here advise against going over 25GB up to say 30-35 per month?Would this be okay?

Thanks for any advice..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There are loads of threads on this already, look around this forum a bit more. They don't charge, they restrict your speeds to around 100kbps, sometimes for weeks.

If you're using 30GB+ a month, then you should be paying for the 3Mbps package, or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I know that I just find it hard to search this forum..got it finally with "usage"

I've found http://broadband.iol.ie/usage/ which will let you check you usage. Im going to try and hit around 30 this month to see what happens..

I'd love to upgrade my connection but its not really my call..Its my parents house and their connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭FredH3as

Come back to us when you'r old enough to own your own bb connection and feel the pain of actually having to pay for something you use (or abuse!) :rolleyes:

FredH3as wrote: »
    Come back to us when you'r old enough to own your own bb connection and feel the pain of actually having to pay for something you use (or abuse!) :rolleyes:

Trolling are we? Anything to offer? There's a place for people like you!

I am old enough to own my own connection, and I do(mobile broadband, o2) and also old enough to rent my own apt and put myself through college, and I am!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

FredH3as wrote: »

Less of the trolling please. If you've nothing to contribute, then leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

To be fair, the OP is openly admitting that he is exceeding the allowance on a BB connection that he is not paying for himself! What is the point of the post! Is he asking other boardsters to condone his actions?

Someone need a wakeup call.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

the OP wants to know what usage is ok (I assume he won't be charged for) nobody here can tell him that as its upto BT

degsie wrote: »
    To be fair, the OP is openly admitting that he is exceeding the allowance on a BB connection that he is not paying for himself! What is the point of the post! Is he asking other boardsters to condone his actions?

Fair enough I download a bit of stuff myself but the bulk of it is for my family at home that use the files at home..I'm hardly ever home so I don't download that much. You may have assumed that I'm downloading all the data for myself because of the way I spoke..I'm just the person who deals with all this because i'm the only computer literate person in the household!

The point of the post is to try and get an idea of how much I can get away with downloading..If they get throttled then i'll just leave them MY mobile broadband connection for the month...
    Someone need a wakeup call.....

Well I don't anyway..
    jor el wrote:
    Less of the trolling please. If you've nothing to contribute, then leave it at that.

What have you to offer Degsie...?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

techguy wrote: »
    What have you to offer Degsie...?!

Advise, respect other proples stuff!

Advise, respect other proples stuff!

I have respect for other poeople stuff actually..are you insinuating I dont?? Where do you get that idea from?? If you haven't realised yet the data usage is not to my benefit but the BB connection owners!!

In any, in my original post I was only looking for advice on the limits of the download allowance!!

Can we leave it at that now because this petty Sh** on boards really pi**es me off!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

degsie, techguy stay on topic and stop the muppetry!
    :)

Cabaal,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Anyone know anything about Carlow town being upgraded to 7.6mb

Its taking fooking ages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I have heard too that BT will throttle the connection for repeat offenders. I was on the 20 gig pm for nearly 3 years and often went way over without my connection being effected. They bumped that up to 3mb and 30 gig a couple of months ago and I have gone over that a few times too without consequence.

BT are sound.

Advertisement