Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclock to beat the bottleneck

Options
  • 17-01-2009 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

righto, I just put in an order of an eVGA GTX260 and 4 more gigs of PC8500 ram to give my PC a bit of an update :D

so im taking out my old 320mb 8800gts and putting the GTX260 on my 680i mobo (from evga also)

now, I have a feeling my e6600 at 2.4ghz is a bottleneck.luckily I have had it OCd at 3,4ghz very comfortably forever and its fine. is 3,4 still gonna present a bottle neck? should I push it a bit harder???

also, at 3,4ghz, is there any point in OCing my GTX260? or will it just do more harm than good?

thanks for the advice in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

1680x1050 by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

How is yoru cooling? What case and cpu hsf. If it can handle it i'd personally push it as far as you can. I currently have my 2160 at 3.4ghz and this is the bottleneck in my pc. I did have a quad sitting about somewhere but i think the missus binned it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

my cooling is pretty good, it's air cooling but its a big sythe ninja and a completely clean airflow going through it. keeps it very cool.

I can push it to 3,8 I reckon keeping it at around 65-70c orthos stressed.

Im just wondering will there be a point pushing it that far. I think ill put it to 3.6 and it will sit comfortably. im guessing theres no point in clocking the card then?

Advertisement