Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was the plane crash landing in New York an Act of God?

• 17-01-2009 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

This is really only a question for Christians (as atheists do not beleive).

We already seen how a bunch of birds brought down a plane in Rome last year without any injuries.

Now, in one of the most sinful cities in the world, something that appears to be very close to a miracle has occured.

As the war in the Holy Land goes on and with an unpredictable President about to be unveiled in the USA is this a sign/warning from God of more to come, especially for that city?

One must wonder at the meaning of such an incident as it appears to be the first time a jet landed in water with everyone surviving.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I think it was the sign of a very good pilot. Nothing else, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 no.1

Yes the pilot had good conTROLL of the plane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Christ almighty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Hope he's the captain of the next plane I fly on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

Pamela111 wrote: »
    This is really only a question for Christians (as atheists do not beleive).

We already seen how a bunch of birds brought down a plane in Rome last year without any injuries.

Now, in one of the most sinful cities in the world, something that appears to be very close to a miracle has occured.

As the war in the Holy Land goes on and with an unpredictable President about to be unveiled in the USA is this a sign/warning from God of more to come, especially for that city?

One must wonder at the meaning of such an incident as it appears to be the first time a jet landed in water with everyone surviving.

Which part?
    The plane crashing? - or - Everyone surviving?

What about all other plane crashes? Are these acts of God? Why do some have fatalities and some not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

PDN wrote: »

Dude had a pretty impressive air force record aswell apparently. Good piloting nothing else in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Pilot did an amazing job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

+1

Oh no wait I'm an atheist... That clouds my judgement of course :rolleyes:

Some people are deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Was the plane crash landing in New York an Act of God?
    probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

An act of god would have been if it happened with no pilot on board.

This was an act of pilot, much like sentencing Christ to crucifiction.

Pamela111 wrote: »
    Why does God have to come into everything ?
    Isint there a first time for everything ,like men landing on the moon ,a black president .............male pregnancy ?

latchyco wrote: »
    male pregnancy

Pseudo-male pregnancy.

Pseudo-male pregnancy.
    Aye ,that's what i said to , only women give birth to children .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

One of the most sinful cities in the world ? Is there a ranking, a top thirty of sinful cities ?

A miracle is a visible interruption of the laws of nature. I would consider this a miracle if it had dived nosefirst into the river at 400mph, disintegrated and everybody survived. But this is nowhere approaching that, a skillful pilot and the engineers of a superbly designed plane saved these people.

Neither is it unprecedented...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_124_ditching_in_Neva_River

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, I'd like to think that at least some of the passengers, crew and their families thanked the engineers, designers, testers and fabricators who built a plane strong enough to survive the impact.

Which reminds me of this family -- I sincerely hope somebody thanked the company that made that car seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭321654

One of the most sinful cities in the world ? Is there a ranking, a top thirty of sinful cities ?

A miracle is a visible interruption of the laws of nature. I would consider this a miracle if it had dived nosefirst into the river at 400mph, disintegrated and everybody survived. But this is nowhere approaching that, a skillful pilot and the engineers of a superbly designed plane saved these people.

Neither is it unprecedented...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_124_ditching_in_Neva_River

No doubt thats a miracle too.

So on the one hand where noone is killed its a miracle.

But on the other hand, if all are killed but 1, its a miracle too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Probably only an act of God to the insurance companies. Its an act of man's bad planning as they built a bird sanctuary next to Laguardia Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

This could have been an interesting thread.

Unfortunately a host of atheist posters have ignored the OP's specific request for Christian answers only, so I'm locking the thread.

Must be National Troll Day or something.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement