Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buying a uk import, here in ireland, issues...

Options
  • 17-01-2009 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

goin to see car 2morrow.

seller bought in uk last year but drove around for a few months without payin the vrt, and is now selling on again.

what documentation should he have if i now buy it off him.

i think its the full v5 document but not sure.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

Do yourself a favour

Check out the RAC site and run the plate through it.

Will need full V5, with the 2 tear off bits,

Assume that it will not have his name on it, otherwise he wouldn't have V5.

Sounds like he bought it in UK and didn't re-reg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

is the response from that rac check instant?
    so u mean the 2 tear off bitsshould still be there, ie still attached.
    i presume filled out by the previous seller in the uk, who would be the last seller.

is it possible that when brought to ireland it could have been sold a no. of times....ie how am i to know its not stolen...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

is the response from that rac check instant?
    so u mean the 2 tear off bitsshould still be there, ie still attached.
    i presume filled out by the previous seller in the uk, who would be the last seller.

is it possible that when brought to ireland it could have been sold a no. of times....ie how am i to know its not stolen...?

I would'nt do this because of the following; -
    1. He's basically a trader in stealth - you're going to line his pockets.
    2. You'll get the car cheaper in the uk yourself.
    3. You'll have more choice in the UK.
    4. You'll have more indemnity in the uk buy buying off a large bonafide sales house if its stolen/Wrapped etc.
    5. A uk car will have been on better roads 100% of its life, and not on our crap roads for the last year or so.

I could go on and on..........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

My dad was buying a car a couple of years ago off some Irish guy on UK plates .
    A quick phone call to the RAC revelled that the car had outstanding finance on it ( a type of internal finance) . Was giving a main dealers number by the RAC which I phoned. The dealer when out on to the lot and saw the car with his own eyes which meant the car in Ireland was a clone.
    It took us a few minutes to get our heads around this but not your man who hop into the car a headed for the border.
    Moral of the story ..always check the car out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I would'nt do this because of the following; -
    1. He's basically a trader in stealth - you're going to line his pockets.
    2. You'll get the car cheaper in the uk yourself.
    3. You'll have more choice in the UK.
    4. You'll have more indemnity in the uk buy buying off a large bonafide sales house if its stolen/Wrapped etc.
    5. A uk car will have been on better roads 100% of its life, and not on our crap roads for the last year or so.

I could go on and on..........:rolleyes:

Number 1 seems pure conjecture!?
    The pricing you dont know, so how can you say its cheaper there.

Number 5, could be spun around with the whole salted UK winter roads thing which its avoided since importation. Either way, not much of a difference for such a sort period of time.

I dont get it, why such a strong attempt to paint such a negative image, largely baseless speculation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I dont get it, why such a strong attempt to paint such a negative image, largely baseless speculation?

The seller has been driving around for months without paying the VRT. That's dodgy at best. Personally if I was buying a car, I would have my doubts about the seller too, and I'd walk. Plenty of nice cars in the UK, and we've all the information we need at our disposal on this very site, and in this very forum.

Number 1 seems pure conjecture!?
    The pricing you dont know, so how can you say its cheaper there.

Number 5, could be spun around with the whole salted UK winter roads thing which its avoided since importation. Either way, not much of a difference for such a sort period of time.

sure, conjecture........yeah, like he's selling the car for charity? I think not. Its business - lets not be fooled here.
    I've been in the motor trade, wheeling and dealing for over a decade and everything I said i stand by and many many right minded motor savvy boardsies here will concur with me. More choice,variety,pricing,ability to prove the providence of a car is to had by going over to the uk.
    As for my point no 5 you rasie, well if the car is 2 years old and its spent 1 year here, that 50% of its life on our crap roads - get it now?:D

anyways - thread carefully OP and ponder the post above too about the cloned car.

sure, conjecture........yeah, like he's selling the car for charity? I think not. Its business - lets not be fooled here.
    I've been in the motor trade, wheeling and dealing for over a decade and everything I said i stand by and many many right minded motor savvy boardsies here will concur with me. More choice,variety,pricing,ability to prove the providence of a car is to had by going over to the uk.
    As for my point no 5 you rasie, well if the car is 2 years old and its spent 1 year here, that 50% of its life on our crap roads - get it now?:D

anyways - thread carefully OP and ponder the post above too about the cloned car.

Yes, conjecture.

Yes, most likely the car was used in a ram raid on a UK bank, there was one car suspected as exported to Ireland last year.
    See, I can make wild accusations too. Im doing it on a forum with lots of "motor savvy" users, does that make it correct? I have a decade of experience too. Does that add to my validity? I think logic and facts speak truer than chest beating.

You dont know its "business", could just be some guy selling a car, baseless accustations on your behalf.
    You dont know its 2yrs old and driven here for year, thats speculation.
    You dont know its more expensive than a current UK car, you just stated an opinion as fact.

Your scaremongering misinformation may be more dangerous than no information. Do you "get" that concept?

Yes, conjecture.

Yes, most likely the car was used in a ram raid on a UK bank, there was one car suspected as exported to Ireland last year.
    See, I can make wild accusations too. Im doing it on a forum with lots of "motor savvy" users, does that make it correct? I have a decade of experience too. Does that add to my validity? I think logic and facts speak truer than chest beating.

You dont know its "business", could just be some guy selling a car, baseless accustations on your behalf.
    You dont know its 2yrs old and driven here for year, thats speculation.
    You dont know its more expensive than a current UK car, you just stated an opinion as fact.

Your scaremongering misinformation may be more dangerous than no information. Do you "get" that concept?

Yes, Matt, you know your completely right:D:D, even when you're wrong.
    OP, go ahead and buy the car....and whilst you're at it, put a set of blinkers on when you go to view it.:rolleyes:

Yes, Matt, you know your completely right:D:D, even when you're wrong.
    OP, go ahead and buy the car....and whilst you're at it, put a set of blinkers on when you go to view it.:rolleyes:

How can stating that we dont have any of the relevant info (which is a fact) be "wrong". Someone asking for genuine advice and you fill their heads with.. what exactly? Your decades of knee jerk reactions and sensationalism?
    Im just trying to understand your mentality here... Honestly, what are you on about? :confused:

• Advertisement

How can stating that we dont have any of the relevant info (which is a fact) be "wrong". Someone asking for genuine advice and you fill their heads with.. what exactly? Your decades of knee jerk reactions and sensationalism?
    Im just trying to understand your mentality here... Honestly, what are you on about? :confused:

Matt, calm down and don't get so emotive. Chill and relax. The OP will make up their own mind - they've got your opinion and my opinion along with others now.
    Thats what open discussion forums are all about.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I think Matts point is you appear to be just making up a pile of unlikley stuff and trying to let on it's fact.

Most likely situation OP is that the guy imported it, can't afford to pay the VRT and needs to get rid. Check it out properly, compare prices with autotrader etc and you will be fine.

copacetic wrote: »
    Most likely situation OP is that the guy imported it, can't afford to pay the VRT and needs to get rid

That in its self is worrying. Importing and not VRT'ing the car is tax evasion.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

That in its self is worrying. Importing and not VRT'ing the car is tax evasion.

thats his problem, not the OPs. Plenty of people import cars and get a shock when they go to vrt them and can't afford it. They sell them on.

If it was a 'business' as you say, it'd be pretty stupid business to try and sell a car on UK plates when it would be 10 times easier to sell if the vrt was paid on it. There are long queues of people from well known garages doing so in the vrt office everyday.

copacetic wrote: »
    thats his problem, not the OPs. Plenty of people import cars and get a shock when they go to vrt them and can't afford it. They sell them on.

If it was a 'business' as you say, it'd be pretty stupid business to try and sell a car on UK plates when it would be 10 times easier to sell if the vrt was paid on it. There are long queues of people from well known garages doing so in the vrt office everyday.

must be a lot of stupid people out there then, there's hundreds or cars on carzone on uk plates for sale. If these people are not dealers albeit in a small way(in the business of turning a few bob on a sale), I don't know what they are then?
    Please don't try and tell me what we already know ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Are you legally allowed to sell a UK car here?

Under Irish law the car has to be registered/VRT paid within 48hrs. I wonder why customs are not looking at the UK motors for sale on carzone etc?

Are you legally allowed to sell a UK car here?

Under Irish law the car has to be registered/VRT paid within 48hrs. I wonder why customs are not looking at the UK motors for sale on carzone etc?

Good point rabbit. Its illegal to be in possession of one as its tax evasion,so if you're selling one it means you're in possession of it (as the vendor) which is illegal.

Advertisement