Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Dublin-Rosslare Bus Timetable

• 17-01-2009 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1232108507-2.pdf

New Timetable comes into operation 18/01/2009 and, for the most part, is much improved but peak time services from Gorey appear to have been cut. I contacted Bus Eireann in both Busaras and Waterford but spoke to the usual cretin type. Does anyone know if there are plans to have services originating in Gorey? Being one of the main centres of population on the route it doesn't make sense to curtail services, particularly at morning rush hour i.e. 7-8.30am.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I`m open to correction but the presence of a "Private Operator" running along the Gorey-Dublin Airport may have prompted the Dept of Transport into imposing some restrictions upon the Bus Eireann schedule.

(Note: The Dept of Transport considers it`s main function to be ensuring the orderly conduct of the Public Transport market in the context of whatever EU legal challenge may at any one time be extant. It`s function is not now and has never been in any way connected with ensuring the provision of Public Transport services which may actually be effectively utilized by the general public.)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I`m open to correction but the presence of a "Private Operator" running along the Gorey-Dublin Airport may have prompted the Dept of Transport into imposing some restrictions upon the Bus Eireann schedule.

(Note: The Dept of Transport considers it`s main function to be ensuring the orderly conduct of the Public Transport market in the context of whatever EU legal challenge may at any one time be extant. It`s function is not now and has never been in any way connected with ensuring the provision of Public Transport services which may actually be effectively utilized by the general public.)

I'm not sure I understand the point you are making. The private operator to whom I presume you refer, does not serve any intermediate points .

Again I`m simply conjecturing,but I believe that there is some mention on Bus Eireann`s new blurb about the 002 Airport-Roslare service of departures NOT picking up passengers at the Airport for intermediate points,including Gorey.

This appears to indicate a Licence restriction imposed by the Dept Of Transport in order to maintain the level playing field desired by the EU (We`re told).

I`m sure somebody will be along in a minute with the Chapter and Verse :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Again I`m simply conjecturing,but I believe that there is some mention on Bus Eireann`s new blurb about the 002 Airport-Roslare service of departures NOT picking up passengers at the Airport for intermediate points,including Gorey.

This appears to indicate a Licence restriction imposed by the Dept Of Transport in order to maintain the level playing field desired by the EU (We`re told).

I`m sure somebody will be along in a minute with the Chapter and Verse :)

I think, in those circumstances it is because the airport link is not a scheduled Bus Eireann service, rather a route 747 connecting with Busaras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

The 384 service that starts/finishes in Gorey is still there.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202998677-384.pdf

There are now three buses on route 002 at 0650 that will get you to Dublin for 0900 instead of two. The next service is route 006 at 0820 from Waterford - the 0810 service ex-Gorey (0700 ex-Rosslare) is no more.

Basically there are three routes serving Gorey and there are three timetables - routes 002, 005 and 384.

The route 006 timetable below has buses leaving Gorey at 0820, 1215, and 1440. Buses on this route operate from Busarus at 1130, 1600, and 1800.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202289438-5.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

bmaxi wrote: »
    I think, in those circumstances it is because the airport link is not a scheduled Bus Eireann service, rather a route 747 connecting with Busaras.

The 002 service is now operating directly to the Airport - you no longer have to change to/from the 747.

The point Alek is making is not really to do with linking Gorey and Dublin. It is that because Wexford Bus operates to/from the Airport, Bus Éireann are restricted by the Department of Transport on certain services in this new timetable in where they can pick up people that are going to the Airport and likewise are restricted on certain departures from the Airport in picking up people that are going to between Gorey and Wexford.

Travelling on these buses between Dublin (Busarus) and Gorey on these services is not affected by the above. However, one restriction that I do note is that the 0630 service ex-Rosslare Harbour now stops in Gorey at 0740 to drop off only, which I can only imagine is a condition imposed by the Department for some reason.

KC61 wrote: »
    The 002 service is now operating directly to the Airport - you no longer have to change to/from the 747.

The point Alek is making is not really to do with linking Gorey and Dublin. It is that because Wexford Bus operates to/from the Airport, Bus Éireann are restricted by the Department of Transport on certain services in this new timetable in where they can pick up people that are going to the Airport and likewise are restricted on certain departures from the Airport in picking up people that are going to between Gorey and Wexford.

Travelling on these buses between Dublin (Busarus) and Gorey on these services is not affected by the above. However, one restriction that I do note is that the 0630 service ex-Rosslare Harbour now stops in Gorey at 0740 to drop off only, which I can only imagine is a condition imposed by the Department for some reason.

I can see the reason and I really got sidetracked by the whole airport thing, this would not be a big issue for us as in my experience Wexford Bus is well capable of coping with volumes to the airport. As I said in my earlier post, Wexford Bus does not serve intermediate points and at that time of morning many commuters, schoolchildren etc would be travelling to Arklow, Loughlinstown, St. Vincents etc. Effectively there is no service leaving Gorey between 06.50 and 08.20, this latter having come from Waterford. The no. 384 is a once a day service. I would imagine that most customers on the route would have been content with an improved service to Busaras rather than the complications thrown up by extending it to the airport.

I would imagine that most customers on the route would have been content with an improved service to Busaras rather than the complications thrown up by extending it to the airport.

I think bmaxi makes a valid point here.

I shudder to think of just what type of arcane entrail reading system the Dept of Transport expects Bus Èireann to impliment in order to differentiate between passengers who actually DESIRE to make one of the "Access Limited" journeys on BE`s new service.

It is the sort of administrative nonsense which could ONLY be devised by a human being who has spent many years locked within the silent,airless,pitch black broomcupboard which is the Dept of Transport.

One can be confident that Bus Èireann have had to jump through several Departmental hoops to secure this new licence and that jumping has most likely taken a lengthy period to allow the Department to cogitate on the vast public order implications of having Coaches serve a "Major International Airport"

There is little point in a Minister for Transport castigating Bus Eireann or CIE management and staff for failing to provide services which are adaptable whilst the same Minister imposes draconian and most assuredly non commuter friendly conditions upon the New Service.

In addition bmaxi touches on another very valid point in referring to Bus Èireann`s new found target fixation with Dublin Airport as a destination for many of it`s services.

There is now a very real possibility of Dublin Airport contracting,or at least not expanding to anywhere near the extent which it`s Politico/Economic administrators were predicting.

Most realistic observers would see Bus Èireann`s arrival into Collinstown as being 3 years too late.
    It`s now going to have to attempt to develop market share in a freefalling market with overall passenger numbers dropping back to scary levels.

As bmaxi sez,this now raises the spectre of this belated Airportization of the 002 and other routes actually becoming a DISincentive in marketing terms for those passengers who do NOT require the Airport "thing".

In the meantime,a totally alternative method of operation has been utilized by the Dublin Based Patton Flyer operating between Dalkey and Dublin Airport.

In this well documented case the company principal simply decided upfront to ignore the Department of Transport`s Route Licencing stipulations and commenced operations without the necessary scrip.

What happend next is the true stuff of high comedy as the Department are belatedly "made aware" of the illegality of the operation,prompting the Department to write to the operator advising them of their illegality before,again belatedly handing the matter over to An Garda Siochana.

The Gardaì,never one`s to get too far involved where they`re not wanted,promptly returned the complaint to the Dept for clarification of certain issues and in the meantime the illegal operator continues to live long and prosper.

The moral of the story appears to be .....just do it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

I know i'm dragging up an old thread but was just wondering if anyone could let me know the pickup points from Dublin for the Rosslare bus. I always get off at Clare St. coming up and get Dublin bus out to UCD to meet it going down.

Does it stop somewhere around Clare St. for pickups as well as drop offs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

they used to pick up on Merrion Square, outside the american college- haven't seen that happen for a long while now. check the timetable, it should have the pick up points listed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

they used to pick up on Merrion Square, outside the american college- haven't seen that happen for a long while now. check the timetable, it should have the pick up points listed.

Thanks for the reply. Only has UCD and Vincents listed though for pickup

Advertisement