Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snakebite........:(

Options
  • 17-01-2009 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Got my first tattoo today and after reading alot of posts and talking to people decided snakebite was the right place to go, picking a saturday was prob not the best time to go but couldnt get in any other time and i was really disappointed in the attitude of the tattoo artist.

I hope it was just cause he was having a bad day, but i found that he had no time for me and just wanted to get it done and seemed really annoyed if i asked for anything to be changed. it just seemed that he was completely bored and didnt enjoy his job at all.

I was really looking forward to my first tattoo but was disheartened at the complete lack of interest from my artist, i dont think he would have said anything to me if i hadnt asked him a question.

but on the plus side the girl downstairs is lovely :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I was in there today with my lil sister getting her lip pierced.

Lena is the girl at the desk and she is lovely, as are all the staff I've talked to there, ring them up and explain the situation. They're reasonable enough, it's a shame the artist treated you the way he did but if you want changes you will have to voice them to relevant people :) Just don't go screaming down the phone at them or anything ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I had the very same experience yesterday in another Dublin tattoo studio. I had gone in during the week to get a consultation because I want a cover up and the appointment was made for yesterday.
    Tattoo artist seemed completely disinterested, was putting me under time pressure (despite the fact he called me in 15/20 mins after the appointment should have started) and was quite dismissive of anything I suggested and his attitude seemed to be I had to go with this initial drawing or nothing despite the fact I wasn't totally happy with it.
    I have paid a deposit to get it done there but I'm now going to try and get it back because I am so disappointed by my experience.

I went to another studio afterwards and the contrast was amazing, the new guy I spoke to was coming up with some really great suggestions for my design and seemed generally interested in coming up with something I liked.

I was completely put off by the first guys attitude - based on kazza's comments, I'm now wondering if this is commonplace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

its is comonplace, unfortunately.

there a lot of tattoo artists who don't want to face the fact that they aren't pirates or rock stars, and that tattooing is a service industry.

a nice bout of burger flipping would sort that right out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

As i said to a lad one time, You aint paying for their friendship,
    You paying for a service, but at the same time you shud be completely happy
    with what you get from them.
    As long as the service is top notch, I cudnt give a **** if they say hello as long as they listen to me. Thats why I stayed with JMDs in waterford. Calm, cool, they listen and they're confident as fooook.
    Some people like the guy I was talkn to thought he was goin to best friends
    with the guy after he ink'd him, hahahaahaha... I laughed. I work in a business where people come to you for a conversation and friendship,
    and trust me its very very hard on your off day's... stupid musicians, haha, kiddn

Just shop around, ask people, talk to them.
    Look for a stern, confident person and INK IT UP.

All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I had the same experience in Tatoo Zoo in Cork with the red-haired artist - dunno his name.

Went in to ask about getting something done that was similar to something I already had and he basically said just go back to the guy who did the other one, who happens to be in the US.

Anyway, he told me he couldn't do what I was looking for, gave me no suggestions as to what would be a decent alternative or compromise and just basically was unfriendly, condescending and irritable.

I won't be getting any work done there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

people are people and can be caught in a bad mood all the time, but i have made some great friends in the tattoo industry

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

people are people and can be caught in a bad mood all the time, but i have made some great friends in the tattoo industry

Sure you can only judge people based on how they've behaved towards you in fairness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

but there not there to be your best friend , they're there to provide a service...

OP where you happy with the tattoo in the end? cause surely if you are thats all that matters, would rather have an awesome tat with no chit chat, than a crap tattoo and a new best friend for however long it took to get the tattoo

i understand about some places begining ignornant , hell i said it myself :P, but once your coming out with a class A work in the end of the day what does it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭djrlittleton

hammer, nail, head you said it there in one, i could walk into a studio and if the vibe isnt right for me thats that, where as another person will love it,
    the rock star syndrome as some people call it is part and parcel of it i think, but i kinda laugh about it,

i dont care if its bernie luther(really nice guy by the way) or paul booth or one of our own here in ireland. they are doing a job and how many of everyday smile at work, i treat all the artists the same wether they are in 2000 magazines or just starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

That sounds pretty much the exact same as my first tattooing, also in snakebite. It was probably the same person too, TBH. I'd heard bad things about him from others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Well Im glad to see im not the only one, i wasnt looking for a best friend but a hello is nice!!!! at least next time ill know to ask to meet the artist before we get started.

By the way I am happy with the tattoo but only cause I was fussy and asked him to change line work i was unhappy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Good topic I was in a similar situation (I have many tats It wasn’t my first tat experience, thankfully)

<snip></snip>

Dude, keep your comments to yourself, that was not constructive in any way shape or form. That was you having a go at someone and being a keyboard warrior.

As stated above, this is not a b¡tch fest. if you've a legit complaint bring it to the attention of the right people. Nevaeh-2die-4 would appreciate if you kept comments like that to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Will wrote: »
    As stated above, this is not a b¡tch fest. if you've a legit complaint bring it to the attention of the right people. Nevaeh-2die-4 would appreciate if you kept comments like that to yourself.

OK COOL.

can i start a thread to let people know where not go if you want a good tattoo Experience, with the 15+ tattoos i have i have come accross some people to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Would be preferrable to focus on the positive, as I'm sure that for every bad experience with any given artist, there are positive experiences too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

OK COOL.

can i start a thread to let people know where not go if you want a good tattoo Experience, with the 15+ tattoos i have i have come accross some people to avoid

A thread like that could get boards.ie into some serious sh!t.

My opinion and Id say the other mods opinions would be that it would be better if you didnt start a thread like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hellrazer wrote: »
    A thread like that could get boards.ie into some serious sh!t.

My opinion and Id say the other mods opinions would be that it would be better if you didnt start a thread like that.

^^
    what he said....

LoLth wrote: »
    ^^
    what he said....

:eek: :eek:

*hides*

The art's Cmod!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Jimmy Trigger

LoLth wrote: »
    ^^