Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eye test, specsavers cruises street.

Options
  • 17-01-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

anyone know how much they charge for a standard eye test?
    tis got to be the one on cruises street 2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

anyone know how much they charge for a standard eye test?
    tis got to be the one on cruises street 2.

Around 15 yo-yo's, but don't quote me on that.

Going in the get some jam jars eh? Laser eye for me this summer. Can't bleeding wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 neonheartbeat

yeah man i was advised to get a test.

i heard tests were 50 quid.
    are they deffo not 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

yeah man i was advised to get a test.

i heard tests were 50 quid.
    are they deffo not 50?

Well it was 15 when I got it done and that was about a year ago so I doubt it's 50. I would be shocked if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

My GF had her eye test done in Cruises Street Specsavers around 3 weeks ago and It cost her around €30. If you wish to can claim this money back through your PRSI contributions. They will have a form in the store.

If you have a medical card its free but if you dont its free as well but you have to go to the trouble of claiming it back.

Your PRSI will contribute €49 towards your glasses also.

From experience Specsavers are expensive but I ditched my glasses in 2006 for Laser surgery. I have never looked back(excuse pun) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Laser surgery worth it Berty? Im thinking about getting it in a few years time, im sick of wearing glasses or contacts.

Only thing im worried is that i will spend so much money on the surgery and then a couple of years down the line my eye sight will begin to deteriorate again, can that happen ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The only way it can wear of is the natural process of growing old as your organs begin to detoriorate.

I spent months researching this because nobody I knew or my family knew every had it done because it was soo expensive in 2006. Now, I know loads of people who had it done, some on the back of speaking to me. My fathers work colleagues even called me to discuss it along with relations and neighbours of relations.

I empthatise with you because it can be a difficult decision to get it done. You are playing with one of the most important organs in your body. You might take solace in knowing that the people who perform the operation are highly qualified people(depending on where you go).

I used Optilase in Ely place in Dublin. You get a free examination but as you are from Limerick you will need to either get somebody to drive you or accompany you or stay in a hotel because you will not be able to see very well afterwards. They put a dye in your eye so they can examine you and it takes hours to wear off. I was on my own and found walking from Ely to O'Connell St hotel was a nightmare. :D Everything was orange. I really feel for colour blind people.

You then go back up for a second examination with the consultant/surgeon who goes through which procedure he believes is best for you. He suggested non invasive surgery for me because he felt that my cornea was very thin. I went against his suggestion and opted for invasive surgery because the recovery period was overnight as opposed to 7 days.

3 months later I was in the surgery with 2 other people. We all wore our booties, hats and took our valiums. I went in, the prep lasted 5 minutes, the laser lasted around 15 seconds per eye and the post op exam was around 5 minutes long. Then I went back to the hotel. I was only in the surgery for around 1 hour. Crazy.

It costs me €2990 and at the time Cork was €5600. Vivas refunded me €1000 towards the surgery(cancelled policy once cheque cashed :D) and I was still able to claim back the 21% tax rate using a P50 at the end of the year so in total my surgery only cost me €1560.

I had mine done when I was 25 and I really feel it was the best use of that money I ever spent. One month later I went to Florida for holidays and my eyes were well enough to go swimming with. It was amazing, I was underwater with goggles and snorkel on and could see!!

Two weeks later I was still pushing my non existent glasses back up my nose. It was always a surprise that I was not wearing glasses.

If you ever need any more information or have another question you can always PM Me.

http://www.optilase.com/

BTW I was in specsavers with the GF and the woman asked would I like an eye test to see if I need glasses also. I said "no I had laser surgery" and thought with the look on her face that she was going to throw me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Quiet a good insight(excuse the pun) there Berty, i am also a spectacle wearer! People say i look better with the glasses, maybe as I have been wearing them since such a young age?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I had one on the Specsavers in the crescent recently and was 30 euros.

Queued for ages though :(

Advertisement