Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much should i sell her for?

Options
  • 17-01-2009 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

i have a 15hh mare, due to lack of time im selling her, a woman i know is interestd and asked me to give her a price, i really dont know how much i should be looking for.
    shes a 13 yr old heavy grey cob, extremly quiet, ive let my 4 yr old cousin on her. shes hunted for a number of sessions, very honest horse,ive bread 2 foals from her, i dont like saying that any horse is bomb proof but ive had many horses over the years and you could literally do summersaults around her and she wouldnt flinch, shes also excellent on road, box and shoe.
    ive giving her on loan to this women a few times so she knows what shes getting.
    i paid 1,500 punts for her, i dont want to to sell her too cheaply but i dont want asking too much either.
    has anyone any idea how much i should ask? need to get back to this woman a.s.a.p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Horse prices are very poor at the moment...so...pick a price, on the lower side and you should get her sold. other than that, without seeing her or knowing her, can't say you'll get an accurate price on here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is she sound? Does she have a book? Is a good home important to you?

Take a look at donedeal.ie and you'll get an idea of what people are asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

horses like her used to be worth their weight in gold. i know horse prices are back but the woman seems interested so i would say you could ask 5,000-6000 eur for her. it also depends on this ladies financial situation. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'd say €3,000 - €4,000. Things slow enough at the moment. Age not on her side either.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I paid €4,000 for a bomproof 8 yr old 16.hh gelding,who can jump 1m ,has done everything ,has a book and that was last yr. I'd say €3,000 is the most you could expect for the mare, unless she has more to her cv than you've said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Are you not aware of the REAL price of what horses are making at the moment. As someone said earlier check out done deal.
    6-5k is mad money to ask, i imagine you'd be lucky to get 2.5k for a riding cob, and thats a good price.
    Its unfortunate, but there is nobody out there to buy, so if you miss this you would have sell cheap cheap. Not a good time to be selling

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

marizpan wrote: »
    Are you not aware of the REAL price of what horses are making at the moment. As someone said earlier check out done deal.
    6-5k is mad money to ask, i imagine you'd be lucky to get 2.5k for a riding cob, and thats a good price.
    Its unfortunate, but there is nobody out there to buy, so if you miss this you would have sell cheap cheap. Not a good time to be selling

Unfortunately it isn't the best time to be selling, but you'd be surprised at the price that people will still pay for the 'right' horse... They are, afterall, gold dust!

Mod hat on: just be careful when using caps lock as it can appear that you're shouting and can also make the tone of your post a little sharp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fidler23

i'd advise between 2500 and 3000 is about what shes worth at the moment obviously its hard to tell without seeing her, shes a little bit on the small side . the way horse prices are going at the moment if shes not reg you may not get a lot morethan what ive said for her but if you have someone interested and you actually need to sell i'd ask for closer to 3500 in the hope for getting 3000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Hey, any update on the horse, did u manage to sell it? Happy with the price, if u did???..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭kick-on

togster wrote: »
    horses like her used to be worth their weight in gold. i know horse prices are back but the woman seems interested so i would say you could ask 5,000-6000 eur for her. it also depends on this ladies financial situation. ;)

Are you mad!!!!
    i sold a real flashy black cob there earlier in the year whod jumped five bar gates for fun for 3 grand, the moneys not in them anymore, that cob is worth around two id say!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ell

Agreed. The bottom has fallen out of the market, I've heard stories of very good horses sold for chips (TB bought for 10k, sold for 1k), well schooled young horses jumping well nice allrounders solid competition potential sold for 2k. Also TBs bought for money who's owners are behind on training fees are going on a one way trip - not just a few either.

If you want this horse sold, take what you want get. 2k as well I'd say. If you're not keen to sell, hang on, but could be a good few (5+) years before the economy drags itself up once again. If the lady in question is nice, sell for 2k, you've got more than you paid and horse gone to nice home.

Or just pop into cavan and goresbridge and see how many horses on the catalogue actually sell. I was at goresbridge last autumn, hardly anything was changing hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Hobbidance

I agree with the 2-3k mark. If the woman is interested then that's 75% of the battle won. Seeing as she's also had it on loan then she's probably already very attached. If you know she's going to a nice home and if there's no trouble with the vetting then I'd ask 3k and settle for no less than 2k. The lest you could get some of your money back on the mare but you're not going to get much profit at all as everyone will be grabbing at the credit crunch saying it's too much for a horse. If you really dont have time for the mare then you might as well sell her she's at a prime age now and in 5+ years then she's really going to go down in price. If she's jumped and has points, a good passport and if her previous off spring have done well then you could use that to get closer to the 3k mark. If tack and rugs are included then thats easily 500 euros worth if not more.

Think about it all and you should be able to come up with a fair price that doesn't leave you too far out of pocket but don't push the bar too high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

This is a tricky topic, i've been on donedeal a few times and the price of horses really has dropped terribly.

Its sad to say but i'd say you'd be lucky to get what you paid for her back. but hopefully you'll get a good price and she'll get a good home.

i'd be interested to see how you got on, and if you were happy.

Advertisement