Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers makes it onto the website of the BNP

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm personally quite sick of certain foreigners coming here and behaving the way they do. Nothing wrong with pointing out such things.

Are you talking about Myers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

murphaph wrote: »
    I'm personally quite sick of certain foreigners coming here and behaving the way they do.

Emm Kevin Myers' Dad was Irish. I don't agree with him but he has a right to exprss his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭SirHenryGrattan

Emm Kevin Myers' Dad was Irish. I don't agree with him but he has a right to exprss his opinion.

Kevin Meyers was born in Leicester to Irish Parents. He attended Ratcliffe College public school, did badly in his A levels but managed to get a place at UCD on the "foreign students program" where he distinguished himself with a first in History.

Kevin seems to have imbibed all the stereotypical English public school boy traits; snobbery, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, mild misogyny, mild racism and a strong distaste for anyone or anything that questions the Anglophile view of the world. He has a very rose tinted view of Britain, it's history and the history of the British Empire. Yet he is a very forceful and elequent essayist who is not afraid to express strongly held convictions in the knowledge that he will be pilloried for voicing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Kevin Meyers was born in Leicester to Irish Parents. He attended Ratcliffe College public school, did badly in his A levels but managed to get a place at UCD on the "foreign students program" where he distinguished himself with a first in History.

Kevin seems to have imbibed all the stereotypical English public school boy traits; snobbery, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, mild misogyny, mild racism and a strong distaste for anyone or anything that questions the Anglophile view of the world. He has a very rose tinted view of Britain, it's history and the history of the British Empire. Yet he is a very forceful and elequent essayist who is not afraid to express strongly held convictions in the knowledge that he will be pilloried for voicing them.

You were doing so well up until this point. I think he is the Dunphy of the broadsheet world. He needs to be controversial because he isn't exactly cutting edge or in any loop. If the crowd said white, he would argue black. I don't think they are as much strongly held convictions as opposed to calculated hand grenades.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Mena wrote: »
    If the demand is there the service will adapt, I don't see a problem with that.

As to laws, anyone thinking the laws need to be modified on their behalf in a different country is a prat any way.

I don't see how this is a problem at all, but that's me.

You'll also find that most africans will remain seated when being introduced to someone (a sign of respect) and offer a rather limp handshake (another sign of respect).

I don't see how any of these are issues at all.

You've still not answered the question though. What are these cultural differences that they need to adapt to? Not demanding their language be taught in schools and being polite in public hardly come under the topic of cultural differences in my opinion.

Ok, fair enough about the languages and the service adapting. I'm glad you agree about the laws.

I do think the public interaction part is a big problem and I do think its a cultural difference that needs to be adapted to. It makes people feel uneasy/uncomfortable and is something that can understandably make the average native racist. I don't think remaining seated and offering a limp handshake is a problem as that wouldn't make someone feel uneasy. However if I were in a country where it was the norm I would do it if I were there out of respect for the natives.
    nodin wrote:
    emmmmm...and where has this been going on, might I ask.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6980966.stm

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=409

I don't think the motives are sinister in the above cases but I don't think the general public should be funding it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6980966.stm

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=40&threadid=409

I don't think the motives are sinister in the above cases but I don't think the general public should be funding it.

We are neither a state of the USA, nor any longer a province of the UK, unless you're posting from NI. They aren't really relevant to this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Nodin wrote: »
    We are neither a state of the USA, nor any longer a province of the UK, unless you're posting from NI. They aren't really relevant to this country.

The Myers article's about what's happened in the UK, and what could happen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Love the argument going through this thread, "Some foreigners are rude, therefore I have an anti-immigration stance. " Also, that other gem- "They're not adapting to our customs". What customs would these be? Irish dancing at the crossroads? Playing the bódhrán? Getting locked at the weekend?

Let's cut the cráp here- if any group of people is losing a sense of 'Irishness'', it's the Irish themselves. Shopping in English shops, watching American tv, ...living here is like living in some American suburb now, so I'm at a loss as to how exactly 'The Foreigners' don't 'adapt' to our way of life.

As far as I'm concerned, I love seeing different nationalities around and different languages.

Frankly, I don't care much for Myers and his opinions. And why any Irish person would care what a party like the BNP has to say...well, it baffles me, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

here here, but in fairness a few posters have said they do welcome immigrants just not at the level of the previous 4 years. But that immigration was largely from Poland and the other new eu nations, and they have for the most part no reason to stay here unless of course some of them fell in love with the emerald isle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Acacia wrote: »
    Love the argument going through this thread, "Some foreigners are rude, therefore I have an anti-immigration stance. " Also, that other gem- "They're not adapting to our customs". What customs would these be? Irish dancing at the crossroads? Playing the bódhrán? Getting locked at the weekend?

A few customs would be:

Bitching about people using the Irish Language, Bitching about the National Anthem being in Irish, Bitching about any Irish language related items, and generally bitching and requesting a return to the days of the Tally stick and the like.

Remarkable, but true.

• Advertisement

Britain Is Being Colonised, Warns Leading Anglo-Irish Journalist

Just loving the irony of that title right there....:rolleyes:

Also, the fact that they urge people to vote for 'British lions'...lions of course being native to Africa...which Britain colonised...

Blackjack wrote: »
    A few customs would be:

Bitching about people using the Irish Language, Bitching about the National Anthem being in Irish, Bitching about any Irish language related items, and generally bitching and requesting a return to the days of the Tally stick and the like.

Remarkable, but true.

All showing that is in fact the Irish who can't be bothered holding on to their own culture...

I love the Irish language though. I think more should be done to revive.

here here, but in fairness a few posters have said they do welcome immigrants just not at the level of the previous 4 years. But that immigration was largely from Poland and the other new eu nations, and they have for the most part no reason to stay here unless of course some of them fell in love with the emerald isle :)

Ah yeah, I understand that. Just ridiculous arguments like the ones I mentioned previously annoy me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Just read the article and i can see why Myers is the new pin up boy for the BNP. They even make a point of referencing him as anglo-Irish as if they are desperately trying to claim him as one of their own. It wouldn't do for the BNP to have an Irishman as their hero i suppose. :p
    I'm still undecided if he is an actual racist or just an attention seeker, probably a combination of both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm still undecided if he is an actual racist or just an attention seeker, probably a combination of both.

Just an egotist. He thinks it, therefore it must be so. His whinging over not being on RTE enough during the WWI programming was rather amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Bah. This thread is the perfect example of why we need to take all the warning labels off products for the sake of the gene pool.

Myers makes a good living because people talk about him. It doesn't matter if you love or hate him, as long as you discuss him. It's called being an agent provocateur.

So if you really don't like him, ignore him. Otherwise you're effectively promoting him.

As for ending up on those sites, I was once praised on Stormfront.org for something I posted here - so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Advertisement