Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Querying a laser card payment

Options
  • 18-01-2009 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

Where should I go to query a laser card payment? The bank or the retailer? I've a debit listed on my account that I don't recognise. I regularly go to this particular shop but there is an amount for a couple of hundred euro when the most I'd ever spend there is maybe €20. I've been suspicous of this shop on a previous occasion regarding the amount debited but now I'm pretty sure somthing is up.

This'll teach me to keep receipts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

bet bet is your bank mate and the sooner
    the better i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Thanks. If there's something going on will the bank investigate? Previous transactions, amounts etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

shayser wrote: »
    Thanks. If there's something going on will the bank investigate? Previous transactions, amounts etc?
    yes they will have all details and transactions and deductions etc!!!
    see what they say first, if theres something sinister going on
    let the gardai know, if you have any other reciepts from
    any last purchases keep them also....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Show_me_Safety

your bank will begin the fraud investigation if needs be!

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If the shop have PIN verification of the transaction, there may not be a lot the bank can/will do. But you're best off letting them know anyway. Might also be good to contact the manager of the shop, some of his staff may be getting up to things they shouldn't be doing.

Keeping the receipts wouldn't help either, as I doubt you have a receipt for a transaction you didn't part take in. All you can do is say you didn't authorise it, and let the bank take over.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

The only thing is if it is Chip&Pin, you might find you have very little comeback, as the onus is on the customer to check the amount on the screen before entering their Pin. If this is the case, there may not be anything that the bank can do for you. If it wasn't Pin authorised, then they should be able to do a chargeback for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Are you sure you didn't have a transaction with cash back, that's the most common reason for people to query laser transactions?

Advertisement