Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armagh Shopping

Options
  • 18-01-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Is there a shopping centre(s) in Armagh town? I'm visiting Armagh for the first time next week and would also like to know if there is a good selection of "high street" stores in the town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Extremely quiet forum so I wouldnt expect replies. You would be better posting in the Shopping in Northern Ireland thread in Bargain Alerts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Yeah, this is such a quiet forum don't expect many replies! I visit Armagh every week and can tell you there is a Sainsbury's, Peacocks, Topshop, New Look, Dorothy Perkins, Bon Marché and some other little boutiques. Suppose it depends what you're after but these are the shops I know of!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

There's no big shopping centre as such, not like Newry. There's more the usual food shops and a few clothes shops but the clothes places aren't massive. I don't shop for clothes much, so best take Fifo's comments below. There is a good Sainsburys on the Mall and M&S have a food shop in a small retail park on the edge of town, Dungannon direction.

I'm from there and I'd love to see the place get a slice of the cross-border business, but there's not the concentration of decent shops like in Newry. The thing is though, you'll have a much less stressful experience in the likes of Sainsburys in Armagh than you will in Newry, so if that's all you're going for that's where I'd recommend.

If you wanted a better shopping centre not too far away, there's the Rushmere Centre in Craigavon. Sainsburys there too, with a few of the more recognisable British high street names. It's only 25 mins away out the Portadown road.

Hope that's of some help.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'd advise either Craigavon or Newry, if you want to avoid Newry Craigavon is definitely worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bunk Moreland

Newry is one of the best shopping towns in the country. If you arnt down that far then Portadown isnt too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I had been thinking of trying out Armagh as an alternative to Newry, because the traffic into Newry at the weekends is something else.
    I'd have thought Armagh had a good cross-border trade with people coming up from the neighbouring border counties.
    Out of interest, is there much of a price difference between Newry and Armagh/Craigavon?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

Unfortunately the council and traders in Armagh seemed to miss the boat when in came to the boom in cross border trade....to get to Armagh from Dublin generally means coming through the traffic at Newry anyway so it's pointless. Traffic from Monaghan / Cavan direction tends to go to Enniskillen because of the Asda etc.

In fairness those "in the know" and not afraid of a few R-roads and B-roads made their way avoiding Newry altogether to Armagh and were able to shop away with no crowds etc - theres a decent Sainsburies, M&S food, couple of decent high street brands in the town.

Pricewise I don't think retailers in Newry would get away with putting prices higher at the border than elsewhere so likely not much difference, certainly not in the UK/multinationals anyway.

Advertisement