Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice for a car buying novice.

Options
  • 18-01-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

I am looking into buying a car and have looked at various makes and models. I was considering either a 4x4 or a standard saloon type car. every time I have any leaning towards any particular vehicle and mention it to afriend or someone who apparantly knows the motor industry better than yours truly (I know very little) I am met with various faults or problems with certain car types or models. For example I considered a '04 N.I reg Land rover freelander but was told by someone that they are highly unreliable and give numerous problems. An internet check of various motor forums seemed to confirm this. I then considered a '04 mondeo but was told that ford cars are not the best and dont "hold their value " very well. Is this true?? I have literally spent days on end trawling through websites such as carzone, loadzacars etc and my noodle is well and truly fried at this point. what would you guys with a higher motoring knowledge recommend to a novice such as myself to purchase. I am willing to spend up to 8k at a push and would prefer a garage sale where i would have a warranty in case of any problem with my purchase. Any help would be great. Thanks. Other vehicles considered were An avenis, Mitsubishi l200 crewcab( I have a baby daughter hence commercial vehichle is out of the question) 2004 vectra diesel etc. I would be paying and have no trade in vehichle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    For example I considered a '04 N.I reg Land rover freelander but was told by someone that they are highly unreliable and give numerous problems.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!

They have known issues with rear diff mounting problems, I did work on one recently and the rear diff had to be replaced, costing 970 Euro from a dealer which had to come in from the UK. Three new mountings costed over 300 Euro, and this guy got off lightly at 1,600 Euro. Even the partsman in Land Rover was telling me that they are bucket's of scrap!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Thanks for the advice. What about Ford mondeos as in a 2004 reg. Are fords reliable. I have no real experience of them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

rpmcmurphy wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. What about Ford mondeos as in a 2004 reg. Are fords reliable. I have no real experience of them to be honest.
    I'd recommend a facelift '05 Focus saloon. Theyre a bit nippier than a Mondeo of same engine and is a bit more desireable than a Mondeo (Holds its value better) You'll get a 1.6TDCI one for about 8k VRT'd (UK). This car will have done most of it's depreciating.

Ford's here and in the UK are the typical company car. Look for one that has been well mantained. I know ex-LeasePlan cars are always serviced by the book etc.

Good Luck. I'll dig up a few possibile cars later on. Have a look at Car Giant

Whats the big deal with the diesel Focus's?

Most of the ones in the UK that you can get for a bargain, have 60k + on them and I have heard stories of the turbo's going in them after 180k.

Like take this one for example which is the best deal on car giant for a focus, it has 114k up on it and it will cost you 8000.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Ford/Focus/details-406331-Ford-Focus.asp

One's with low enough milage will cost you near 10000.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/Ford/Focus/details-410799-Ford-Focus.asp

Call me crazy but I think a basically new 08 Lancer with 1.5k, is a much better deal and probably the more reliable car to boot.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=MITSUBISHI&min_pr=75&source=0&model=LANCER&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=6&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=63&ukcarsearch_full.y=4&start=1&distance=134&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200903326844260

Can I get peoples thoughts on this?

• Advertisement

On the Lancer, I have only driven an '08 1.5 Mivec demo (The latest version, not the ones you linked). There is a new model now (Completely remodelled) so obviously the old model '08's are going cheap (a bit less desirable). The Ford focus is a better handling car, (than new lancer, doubt the old ones better) the 1.6TDCI engine is a cracker and IMO looks a bit better.

The Lancer you linked to is the 1.6 petrol. It's underpowered and not particularly good on fuel. Also a Focus is Tax Band A (14%VRT) with the Lancer Tax Band B (24%VRT). Annual road tax will also be less for the Focus.

With regard to the mileage issue. A turbo going at 180k isn't much sooner than its reasonable expected lifespan.

I'm in the market for something similar OP and I priced a few cars including an '06 (55 plate) Focus (33k miles) about 2hrs ago in an Excel worksheet. You can land a Focus 1.6TDCI for €8085 incl Ferry, Flights, NCT, new plates, VRT etc etc.

Irish people are too obsessed with mileage. Modern cars are built two last much longer than those of say 20yrs ago. Recklessness/lack of servicing will break a modern car much sooner than mileage on average.

On the Lancer, I have only driven an '08 1.5 Mivec demo (The latest version, not the ones you linked). There is a new model now (Completely remodelled) so obviously the old model '08's are going cheap (a bit less desirable). The Ford focus is a better handling car, (than new lancer, doubt the old ones better) the 1.6TDCI engine is a cracker and IMO looks a bit better.

I haven't been in the new lancer either I have drove both the Focus and a 06 Lancer, your not going to win any races in either so its much the same imo.

The Lancer you linked to is the 1.6 petrol. It's underpowered and not particularly good on fuel. Also a Focus is Tax Band A (14%VRT) with the Lancer Tax Band B (24%VRT). Annual road tax will also be less for the Focus.

The Lancer will get you around 40mpg, the Focus maybe 50mpg, vrt doesnt matter as a Lancer is cheaper to buy.They have 163g of emmissions which is very good for a petrol.Performance in both is fine for what they are, they will both hit 100km in just over 10secs and have a top speed over 180km, perfectly fine imo.

Road tax is around the same and if OP does average 12k miles per year he will be only saving €240 a year on fuel.

With regard to the mileage issue. A turbo going at 180k isn't much sooner than its reasonable expected lifespan.

Replacing a turbo is expensive and like you say it happens.

Modern cars are built two last much longer than those of say 20yrs ago. .

I wouldnt be so sure about that 20 years might be strecthing it, I'd say a car of 94-98 generation will stand the test of time better than the modern yokes.

Im not saying a Focus is a bad car, it isnt its a very good one.All im saying is a 08 Lancer will no milage is better for a family in these times than a 05/06 Focus with over 50k.

Tony Broke wrote: »
    I haven't been in the new lancer either I have drove both the Focus and a 06 Lancer, your not going to win any races in either so its much the same imo.

The Lancer will get you around 40mpg, the Focus maybe 50mpg, vrt doesnt matter as a Lancer is cheaper to buy.They have 163g of emmissions which is very good for a petrol.Performance in both is fine for what they are, they will both hit 100km in just over 10secs and have a top speed over 180km, perfectly fine imo.

Road tax is around the same and if OP does average 12k miles per year he will be only saving €240 a year on fuel.

Replacing a turbo is expensive and like you say it happens.

I wouldnt be so sure about that 20 years might be strecthing it, I'd say a car of 94-98 generation will stand the test of time better than the modern yokes.

Im not saying a Focus is a bad car, it isnt its a very good one.All im saying is a 08 Lancer will no milage is better for a family in these times than a 05/06 Focus with over 50k.
    Thats a fair enough point. One thing I will say though is that the irish OMSP of an 08 lancer is ~€15k and 24% of that is an awful lot more than 14% of ~€12k for the Focus.

VRT regulations also make VAT payable on the Lancer you're linking, and the list price is only ~€500 cheaper than focus.

Advertisement