Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vickery - what an idiot!!!

• 18-01-2009 1:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Phil Vickery has saved Leinster's blushes. He FOOLISHLY decided to kick at goal instead of going for the try that would give them control over their own destiny in the pool.

I mean what was the point of taking 3 points?? They must be so low on confidence that they feel they cannot hold onto a 4 point lead.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Kearney and Contepomi were worse for not kickin the ball out on the re-start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

Phil Vickery has saved Leinster's blushes. He FOOLISHLY decided to kick at goal instead of going for the try that would give them control over their own destiny in the pool.

I mean what was the point of taking 3 points?? They must be so low on confidence that they feel they cannot hold onto a 4 point lead.

Probably couldn't think straight from when MOK stood on his head:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭figs86

i felt the same about leinster's decision to go for the posts (and miss) when we were 16-12 down

with ten minutes or so to go, surely it would have made sense to kick to the corner on 2 counts

A) go for the try to win the game and secure qualification

B) protect losing bonus point by retaining the ball and running down the clock, preventing wasps from scoring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

figs86 wrote: »
    i felt the same about leinster's decision to go for the posts (and miss) when we were 16-12 down

with ten minutes or so to go, surely it would have made sense to kick to the corner on 2 counts

A) go for the try to win the game and secure qualification

B) protect losing bonus point by retaining the ball and running down the clock, preventing wasps from scoring

Good points but i think if Contepomi had slotted the kick Wasps would have been less inclined to go hell for leather for the try as Leinster would have been within a point and with a kick or drop completely dumped Wasps out. Thus the 3 points at that stage with a few minutes left would have nearly secured the bonus. Leinster would have had momentum if the kick was slotted too(it should have been too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

themont85 wrote: »
    Good points but i think if Contepomi had slotted the kick Wasps would have been less inclined to go hell for leather for the try as Leinster would have been within a point and with a kick or drop completely dumped Wasps out. Thus the 3 points at that stage with a few minutes left would have nearly secured the bonus. Leinster would have had momentum if the kick was slotted too(it should have been too).

I dunno. It was a folding decision from Leinster. If it was a cup final we would have gone for the corner. It seems that whenever Cullen is off the pitch and Whitaker is making the calls (which by the wat Le Roux or any other squad player should get a shot at 9 ahed of Whitaker) we make the wrong decision every time. I think we lost that game to a VERY dodgy try, but from 5 yards out we could have secured a home Quarter final. Instead we decided we'll take an away quarter final on the condition we put 4 trys past and beat our boggie team for the 3rd time this seaosn....

I mentioned before Cheika had put his credability on the line starting Nacewa at 10. Unless we put in a solid defence of the league title and make it to semis of HEC, we have gone backwards since he took over...

I've a horrible feeling we'll go out in the groups 2 years running...unheard of in Leinster rugby..he doesn't know his backline at this stage in the season, and I have been saying for months..a back 3 of Nacewa, Fitz and Kearney..all great in broken field running (as shown tonight) all can kick given space and time (as shown tonight and aren't in charge of dictating the game from 10) .... an amazing back 3 imo... BO'D and D'Arcy is obvious and both were fit and no more solid combo going......Contepomi is our best player at 10.... I wish there was a homeless peasent selling crack on the way to the game who offered to play at 9 in exchange for sucking off Cheika, but unfortunatley we started with Whitaker again, but hopefully himself and Keane get injured in some miracle and Keogh gets a start at 9 because our first 2 9 options are nothing short of a disgrace and our 9 - 10 combo of Whitaker / Nacewa is a disgrace and has cost us many a game. You can only imagine with a top 9 / 10 what we would be capable of considering these guys would struggle at schools level.

I also find it amazing our phobia of kicking to touch....ELVs mannnnn, touch is now badddd mannnn...can't kick there.....we dont want to gain 70 yards and put them in the corner...let's never kick to touch cause the magic ELvs will mean we lose 7,890,426.49 points...keep it in field....in fact, EVERYBODY boot the ball in the air, no matter where you are, we'll surrender possesion every time to either give the opposition the ball to run back from their 22 and we'll back off till they're in our half and give them a penalty or better, we'll kick the ball really high every time we have possesion and look to gain 5 - 10 yards in a 50/50 ball - fuc*king scribble our name on the cup right now...

I'm sorry...but Leinster are and have been a joke this year. I would love this post to be quoted in a few months and eating my hat...but I think the Gaffney era is a full on 100% failure and Cheika has got a case of the Eddie O'Sullivan / Brian Kerr / Steve Staunton = We'll show them - I'll pick the wrong team every week until I'm proven right.

It's not just that we were a fuc*ing disgrace in London, which we were, and idiots will say "oh well we got the bonus" and other pointless rhetoric...it's the fact that Wasps are a load of sh*te, despite the name, a good few of the ML teams (Ospreys, Munster, Cardiff) would have p!ssed all over them on that form...Munster would have come away with 5 points.

We've an away quarter now EVEN IF we manage to beat Edinburgh...never mind a bouns, we don't have it in us because we need it, but EVEN if we get through, we've an away quarter which we wont win, so I think Cheika should forget about trying to decide what his best backline is and try and decide what house he should buy in OZ, cause to be honest, the selection and coaching staff have been nothing short of a disgrace this year. Not once was the best 15 available picked and the waist of talent with this flat static rugby, Cheika either didn't have the knowledge or the leadership to come in and address a system that is so clearly failing.

I don't believe for one second he said in training "No lads...keep avoiding touch and keeping kicking aimless ball into the air...it's working great..."

The sign of a semi decent coaching system vs a purely inept clueless one is what is plan B. Plan A doesn't always work...and that's ok...Great coaches only ever need a plan A...good coaches have a plan B that works..decent coaches have a plan A and a Plan B, but neither lights the world on fire...a complete joke of a coach has a plan A and either sticks by it through pure ignorance or inability to create a plan B...

Leinster staff are in the latter...it's a damn shame...but this is simply not good enough...The backline I mention is fuc*ing amaing...the formation of the back 3 and the centres, with Dr. Phil at 10 and some random raffle prize winner at 9 each game (to raise funds) and let these guys attack from depth with ball in hand and we have something special...but not this mundane, waistful, unimaginative horse sh*te that we're playing...I wanted to post this before the game and say that I have lost all faith in Cheikas credability but I didn't want to be harsh before the game for everyones sake, but I wish I said what I felt after seeing the first 15 before the game...

Enough rambling and call me a traitor...but trust me, this isn't me kicking Leinster when we're down...the seeds of this ramble were planted were planted 5 months ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

You've captured exactly how I feel there Jackass. I never thought I'd say this...but I'm getting very bored watching Leinster play these days. We currently have a collection of backs the like of which we may never see again. It pains me to see them playing a game that is totally alien to them and does not allow them to play their natural game. Another year wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭steelbar

Couldn't of said it better myself Jackass. There was absolutly no leadership last nihgt, on or off the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Flashman

Speaking of the leinster leadership you've got to feel sorry for O'Driscoll, the man looked almost out on his feet having put everything into yesterdays game and getting so little out of it due to the achingly ineffective back play.

Bizzare decision from Vickery, especially considering his experience. As Dob74 said, perhaps being stood-on knocked something loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Just thinking bout this today and i think Vickery might of made the right decision. Last year against Clermount they had a loosing bonus point in the bag with the last play of the game, thought they'd kick it out and go home with a point. Instead they played on 3 minutes later Clermount are in the corner with a try and Wasps leave with nothing. They played it safe and are hoping Edinburgh will do one on Leinster which isnt beyond the prospect of belief

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hamo

Leinster have no one to blame but themselves and having only one game plan they never seem to be able to adjust to suit either conditions or play, selection continues to be an issue in the backline with several players operating in the flyhalf position but still undecided with only one game left in the group.... Cheika needs to start with Contemponi at 10, and Darcy in the centre with BOD, Darcy brings a go forward presence with his ability to break through such flat defence, with our backline available and capable of playing well in broken play with Nacewa,Fitzgerald and Kearney coming onto the ball

Injuries yesterday didn't help, but then they knew that going into yesterdays game and yet we end up losing 4 of the front 5, some witch Doctor is going to be called on this week in prep for the Scots, as for defence, well three if not four missed tackles on Sackey didn't help, how many times have you been told to 'go low' in the tackle...

I still reckon we can top the group, concentrate on our game and take Edinburgh out of the game through open play, we have the players capable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I also find it amazing our phobia of kicking to touch....ELVs mannnnn, touch is now badddd mannnn...can't kick there.....we dont want to gain 70 yards and put them in the corner...let's never kick to touch cause the magic ELvs will mean we lose 7,890,426.49 points...keep it in field....in fact, EVERYBODY boot the ball in the air, no matter where you are, we'll surrender possesion every time to either give the opposition the ball to run back from their 22 and we'll back off till they're in our half and give them a penalty or better, we'll kick the ball really high every time we have possesion and look to gain 5 - 10 yards in a 50/50 ball - fuc*king scribble our name on the cup right now

*sigh* :rolleyes:
    The reason these teams kick in-field is not down to ELVs but as aversion to having the confidence to ruck in their own territory. It has been the case over the past decade at least and has augmented even more following an even greater fear of contestable rucks due to IRB stringency on entering on-feet and through the 'gate'.

Leinster's pack are very ill-disciplined, have showed no aptitude towards the basics of the game and are now under even more pressure.
    A disappointing side. Hopefully this form ends at ERC time and does not affect the Irish team in the 6N.

*sigh* :rolleyes:
    The reason these teams kick in-field is not down to ELVs but as aversion to having the confidence to ruck in their own territory. It has been the case over the past decade at least and has augmented even more following an even greater fear of contestable rucks due to IRB stringency on entering on-feet and through the 'gate'.

I dunno i've been seeing far more aimless kicking these days since the introduction of the elvs.

Jackass my point was that if Contepomi had gor the kick it would have being 16-15 to Wasps with a few minutes left. We would have had all the momentum in the game. Wasps would have being far more sketchy going for a try because they would have feared that Leinster could just 3 points and they'd be completely out. Anyway he didn't get the kick so its all academic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

themont85 wrote: »
    I dunno i've been seeing far more aimless kicking these days since the introduction of the elvs

They were introduced at the same time as the IRB's recommendations for reffing the breakdown :rolleyes:

Exactly,teams wont run the ball for fear of being penalised.Not even an ELV as such but just refereeing to the laws.

Teams will kick away posetion rather than run the ball,I have noticed though,that the teams that take the risk and do run are usually rewarded.

They were introduced at the same time as the IRB's recommendations for reffing the breakdown :rolleyes:

So you can saying confidently that that is the only reason booting the ball down the middle has increased. Not a combination of factors at all? It was happening in the S14 last year in the latter half of the year, start of their season, more so than during the same period in the NH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

re jackasses post, i got eaten alive here some time ago when i questioned gaffneys back moves with leinster, and said it was kidneys boob a, all the backs that have showen promise with leinster bar kearney have dissapeared, fitz i.m.o. is too small and light for a winger,hopefully i will be proved wrong, internalional wingers nowdays needs to have size and height.

old boy wrote: »
    fitz i.m.o. is too small and light for a winger,hopefully i will be proved wrong, internalional wingers nowdays needs to have size and height.

No,he will be alright.

Hes 6,1 i think and he has loads of time to bulk,although after seeing what bulking did to bod i would prefer if he didnt.

If you use that reckoning then Earls is too small to play anywhere from 10-15 cause he is only 5,11 and the way rugby is going Bod seems to be the last of the small in stature centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

No,he will be alright.

Hes 6,1 i think and he has loads of time to bulk,although after seeing what bulking did to bod i would prefer if he didnt.

If you use that reckoning then Earls is too small to play anywhere from 10-15 cause he is only 5,11 and the way rugby is going Bod seems to be the last of the small in stature centres.

it should have read was

What?:confused:

Advertisement