Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

head gasket DIY

Options
  • 18-01-2009 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

The head gasket is gone, in my old citroen zx...but ive seen them for sale on ebay for around €50.

So as long as the head cylinder is ok........is this a job i could do myself??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

fryup wrote: »
    The head gasket is gone, in my old citroen zx...but ive seen them for sale on ebay for around €50.

So as long as the head cylinder is ok........is this a job i could do myself??

I don't think so OP. It's not something you just take off and throw back on again and tasks like setting engine timing and torquing down cylinder head bolts after the new gasket is on, are extremely critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Darragh29 wrote: »
    setting engine timing and torquing down cylinder head bolts after the new gasket is on, are extremely critical.

aaahhh f&ck that then:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Did the car overheat? If so the head will almost certainly need to be skimmed, the problem is that it's likely to be impossible to tell with the naked eye and getting it measured would probably cost as much as getting it skimmed. Since it's a citroen zx, I'm guessing it's run on a shoestring. You could have a go, in the full knowledge that your €50 on the gasket would be at risk and could easily end up forking out to get it skimmed later. It'd be a good learning experience but if the €50 risk doesn't pay off, I wonder would you be as well off looking for another ZX, even good ones can't be worth much more than €300 to €500 in the current climate and you could easily pay that to get the gasket done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Advertisement