Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD: Doing BA in Irish at night?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Maybe somebody here can give me clarity on this because I've failed to get it so far from the programme office or admin. I am completely unfamiliar with the new UCD Arts system and that is much of my problem.

I have 1st year Irish. Under the old system, therefore, I need to go back and do 2 years fulltime in order to get my full degree in Irish. However, I cannot do it fulltime as I'm working so when I return to complete my degree it has to be part-time. I am wondering, therefore, how long will it take me to get the degree going this route?

It could be important to mention that Irish will be my sole subject. Is it possible, therefore, to finish my degree quicker because of this factor?

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

You can do Irish as part of the Evening/Part-time BA in UCD.
    You can't however, as far as I know, do Irish as a single major at night. It would also take 4 years, rather then 2, as each subject is only offered with 30 credits each at night (you need 60 credits per year).
    It might be possible to add some lectures during the day to come to the 60 credits.
    You could also pick another subject that is offered at night, to get your missing 30 credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Thanks very much, MDE. It might have been important to add that I already have a full BA degree at the moment. Would this fact make it possible to do Irish as a single major?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I don't think so. The problem is the way the evening degree is organised. You have lectures at 2 evenings a week per subject, giving you 30 credits in year 2 and 3. For a single major, you need the full 60 credits. So they don't have the numbers of lectures on offer you need for a single major

Advertisement