Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Crowd

• 18-01-2009 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

I was disappointed with the reaction of the crowd tonight. Firstly they booed Hathaway who was brilliant. (But understandable I suppose). Then they booed Mark Coleman when he entered the cage and cheered him after the fight! :confused:
    Then they booed Dan Henderson after the result as if he had robbed Franklin. (What was the 30-27 all about?)
    And when any fight went to the ground for more than 5 seconds I had a group of idiots behind me shouting "Fuk sake, stand it up ref".

I'm not writing this thread to start arguements with people so take it for what it is.... an observation.

Also.... I must of had to stand up over a hundred times for people going in and out of the arena to get drink. They were missing most of the fights.:mad:

What did yall think?

Comments

I was a bit peeved with people booing Coleman. He deserves more respect than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I think the booing thing was all panto. At the start people booed Coleman but by the end the same people were then cheering him.

I thought the crowd was ok. The typical Irish crowd you'd expect when drink is flowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The typical Irish crowd you'd expect when drink is flowing.

Yup, muppets.

That O2 is one expensive kip too!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Didnt like the coleman booing either, he showed alot of heart in that fight, the crowd saw that and voiced their appreacation. I thought the crowd were decent overall, they booed way less than the american crowds, and were nice and loud throughout. Plenty of singing too. I think we represented ourselves quite well for what was a mediocre night of fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

My word the drinks thing, I was up and down like a yo-yo all night. Don't like booing. When Bisping appeared on the screen the first time there was a little booing which I didn't like at all. At least the second time he appeared it was all cheers. Mostly though the crowd were great. Really enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Crowd were not keen on Coleman at first but he showed such testicular fortitude during the fight that they were cheering him like crazy towards the end. It was like something out of Rocky.

In general on other MMA forums everyone seems to think the crowd was fantastic. The booing was nowhere near the level of many US shows especially the ones outside Vegas. Remember the one in Chicago? They practically booed all night.

Only thing that annoyed me was the ole ole brigade but that's just because I can't stand it in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

any links to those forums mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Thought the crowd where great from watching it on tv. If there was ever a drop in the action it may have gotten more quite but there was never booing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

My little brother made the same comment about the Rocky thing. ha.

And why people would spend all the money to go to an event and get drunk is beyond logical. I wanted to soke up every bit of it. The last thing I'd want is a drunken memory.

I'm glad we came across well but I felt like a lot of the crowd were un-educated about why they should be cheering or booing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

There was clapping for things like securing good takedowns, guard sweeps and transitions as well as the stand up action. There were some absolute muppets but I thought the majority of the crowd was good. Negatives, booing Hathaway. Positives, booing 1992 olympic gold medalist Bernard Dunne:D:D, did anyone else see that on the big screen:D

LMAO at Ber Nard Dunn. Michael Curruth must be spinning in his grave. Even tho he's not dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I thought the crowd were savage tbh.

There were very few boos for lack of action and they were much more educated than I would have thought. Hathaway should have been booed because he was fighting the hometown hero. Fair play to Hathaway he turned it around and destroyed Egan and won the crowds applause. That is the way it should be.

I've been to UFC shows in Belfast and London and this crowd was by far the best.

Plus boos are not a bad thing. I'm sure Coleman would rather be booed than get no reaction whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I can handle booing but all the drunk knackers just pissed me off. "Knock his bollix off" and "dont f***ing hug him ya queer" and the all too pervasive "stand it up ref yi prick"

That said, I really enjoyed the event and I thought most of the fights were good especially Coleman vs Shogun because it was just bizarre and Belcher's great comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Overall thought the crowd was good except for the drunk poshys behind us that spilt beer evrywhere and screamed left jab for the whole night.

LMAO at Left jab! Hopefully they weren't shouting that at south paw fighters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Yes, yes they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Though the crowd and atmosphere was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

From what I seen of it all I'll say is "Olé, Olé Olé Olé, Olé" and "The Fields Of Athenry" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Scramble

Early on I had high hopes for the crowd around me. People were clapping when a fighter regained guard and generally showed that they knew a bit about the sport.

Later on with a few more drinks on board things were a little ropier, but no worse than some of the other UFCs I've been at.

My major beef was the way that Hathaway was booed. I thought it was incredibly juvenile and embarassing. An Irish fighter fighting in a UFC held in the UK would not have been booed in the same way. The crowd did clap him after he won, but it had more to do with the fact that Tom Egan (The gentleman that he is) held up his hand and gestured for the crowd to do it.

Bisping was indeed also booed by people around me when he appeared on the screen, and I thought this was pretty dumbass too, frankly.

Marcus Davis was more or less adopted on short notice and generated a huge response from the crowd. At times, though, when they started singing 'the fields of athenry' and 'ole ole' it seemed to me that it had only the faintest connection with what was actually going on in the cage between the two pro athletes they'd paid money to watch compete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Scramble wrote: »

My major beef was the way that Hathaway was booed. I thought it was incredibly juvenile and embarassing. An Irish fighter fighting in a UFC held in the UK would not have been booed in the same way.

Hattaway could have been from any country, He'd have still been booed, The crowd were backing the hometown boy. Hattaway got booed at the weigh in's too, both then and in the cage he had the same reaction. He Smiled.

Only thing bad i can say about tonight is a couple of the fans in my section, someone threw a beer in the direction of the cage, it hit the fans just behind bernard dunne. and another idot shouting racist stuff at John Hattaway during the egan fight, He totally freeked out the lady sitting in front of him, had her in tears. Security at the o2 is pure sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Crowd were fine most of the time. This is Dublin, so if you're English, you're gonna get booed out of the building if you're going against an Irish guy, it's that simple. Bisping was in the crowd, but he didn't exactly get booed whenever the camera focused in on him.

The only Rocky similarity I could find with Coleman was how he sounded like him in the post Match interview! ;)

One thing that pissed me off but also made me laugh at the same time was in front of us, some jackass decided to hurl a beer into the middle of the centre section, for whatever reasons. The lack of respect for the people there made me sick, however what did make me howl was the fact that he chose to do it at the beginning of the live screening, where security were all over the place, and right in front of him doing it. He got propped up and turfed right out of the block.

There was an English couple beside where we were sitting, and jesus, i never felt sorry for a lady in my life than I did for this girl, Her boyfriend was almost parylatic drunk before the prelims had even finished and what he thought was playful choking out was actual full force! We caught her crying on at least ten occasions. I kept my cool (didn't particularly want to get turfed out of the building either) but i thought my best mate was going to destroy him.

Didn't let it ruin the night, but it feels that the older I get, people behave more like assholes at gigs/events. Sad generalisation I know, but it's only what i see through these tired eyes as of late.

****, i'm drunk, i need sleep!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

liger wrote: »
    Only thing bad i can say about tonight is a couple of the fans in my section, someone threw a beer in the direction of the cage, it hit the fans just behind bernard dunne. and another idot shouting racist stuff at John Hattaway during the egan fight, He totally freeked out the lady sitting in front of him, had her in tears. Security at the o2 is pure sh*te.

I was sitting on the opposite side of the steps to that girl, that guy was a complete twat he was standing up shouting abuse at Hattaway when he won and threw the end of his beer down towards the cage. Some of it spilled on the girl thats why she was upset and he was flipping out like a complete retard but at the same time didnt have a clue what was going on really apart from some irish guy was fighting an english guy. Later on he was stumbling round the place drunk, complete idiot with no knowledge of what was going on and there cos it was fighting and an excuse to get drunk. Security in the stands were pure non existant, not that there was much hassle but idiots like that should have been told to cop on or get out.

Just like to add well done to Bernard Dunne our 1992 Olympian..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Can't comment on how the crowd was at the event, but on TV they were probably as decent as any. On telly there was a small bit of Booing the first time they showed Bisping, second time none.
    Of course Hattaway was going to be booed, nothing to do with being English, just that he beat the Paddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

amacachi wrote: »
    Of course Hattaway was going to be booed, nothing to do with being English, just that he beat the Paddy.

He wasn't booed as heavily after the match, from where we were sitting (Block M). Now during his entrance, he was booed unmercifully.

So bang goes the theory of it being because he "beat the Paddy" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

After watching it on TV I really liked the way you could hear almost every word of "fields of Athenry".

But was also a bit dissapointed they booed at Coleman. The man is a legend and does not deserve being booed. But then again a crowd is fickle, not sure why and how it works but especially when drink is involved, there would be a slight case of collective mind!

All in all very enjoyable 3 hours from my ringside on the couch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    He wasn't booed as heavily after the match, from where we were sitting (Block M). Now during his entrance, he was booed unmercifully.

So bang goes the theory of it being because he "beat the Paddy" ;)

Should've said just the fact that he was against the Paddy :P On the TV coverage I didn't see the entrances, when the fight was over there seemed to be a lot of booing, subsided by the time Hattaway was interviewed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

But was also a bit dissapointed they booed at Coleman. The man is a legend and does not deserve being booed.

The pre video and his own interview made himself out to be the person to be booed in fairness. Mark was looking to get booed.
    My major beef was the way that Hathaway was booed. I thought it was incredibly juvenile and embarassing.

As people already said it was panto and done in good spirits. I didnt hear abusive comments against Hathaway in my section.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Early on I had high hopes for the crowd around me. People were clapping when a fighter regained guard and generally showed that they knew a bit about the sport.

Later on with a few more drinks on board things were a little ropier, but no worse than some of the other UFCs I've been at.

That's pretty much how the crowd around me were like.

And just on Hathaway, I was with some English people and I booed him and it was completely good natured. After he won, the same people who were booing, cheered him including me. It was all tongue in cheek for 90% of the people I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Spaco

There was some booing around us but most people just starting cheering over them around where i was sitting and they piped down.
    But thought the whole day was excellent. few drunks but great atmosphere and lots o cool people around us to chat with, so can't wait for the next one over here.

Advertisement