Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Crowd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

liger wrote: »
    and another idot shouting racist stuff at John Hattaway during the egan fight, .

What kind of racist sh*t?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Mairt wrote: »

Does that matter? If he did he was in the minority. It seems to me so far is that you are only focusing the negative in this thread.

rovert wrote: »
    Does that matter? .

Actually to me it does.
    . It seems to me so far is that you are only focusing the negative in this thread.

I've ONE post in the thread for crying out loud, ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The crowd was good overall, The Ole chanting is fun and just builds up the atmosphere! its not like as if we have songs for hendo to sing etc..

or would people prefer if we just sat there talking and clapping occasionally? i got a couple of the ole's going myself and was dead proud!!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I've ONE post in the thread for crying out loud, ffs :rolleyes:

Two actually and now three. Still waiting for something positive from you.

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    The crowd was good overall, The Ole chanting is fun and just builds up the atmosphere! its not like as if we have songs for hendo to sing etc..

or would people prefer if we just sat there talking and clapping occasionally? i got a couple of the ole's going myself and was dead proud!!

I thought the 'Ole' was good too, I like it.

Although cranky ol' Grandpa Simpson here wouldn't dare engage in such joyous behaviour, but I was glad some felt the need :P.

I have Egans entry on video if anyone is interested I'll throw it up on youtube. I had intended recording the entire bout but my memory card was full (didn't check it before leaving) and by the time I'd the memory sorted the damn fight was over. But his entrance and crowd reaction are here if anyone would like to see it.

Go fourth from this place, and multiply my friend :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Drunken idiots, had 2 cokes as I wanted to stay in my seat as much as possible! A spa in front of me decided to give his OH a running commentary on the fight. He got so loud that the guy in front of him (2 rows in front of me) told him to STFU!

Then a few moments after.. a guy took a tumble down the steps about 10 rows:D

I think Hathaway was in coppers afterwards:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

Hattaway could have been from any country, He'd have still been booed, The crowd were backing the hometown boy.
    I don't think that's true. Davis was adopted as Irish and cheered to the rafters but his opponent didn't get the same reaction as Hathaway.
    Personally I hate the 'Ole Ole' stuff but to each their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I thought the 'Ole' was good too, I like it.

Although cranky ol' Grandpa Simpson here wouldn't dare engage in such joyous behaviour, but I was glad some felt the need :P.

I have Egans entry on video if anyone is interested I'll throw it up on youtube. I had intended recording the entire bout but my memory card was full (didn't check it before leaving) and by the time I'd the memory sorted the damn fight was over. But his entrance and crowd reaction are here if anyone would like to see it.

if u could stick it on it would be great !

• Advertisement

vasch_ro wrote: »
    if u could stick it on it would be great !

I'm trying, but its taking ages.

Youtube can be a royal pain in the tits sometimes.

Here's a rough panaramic view from my seating position.

Can anyone spot Roper?.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Enjoyed the night myself thought the UFC put on a good show was impressed with the setup in the O2. Few fools at the event alright but I suppose that was to be expected. Though the atmosphere was good in general had seats in block K so had a decent enough view of the cage but still found myself being drawn to the big screen anyone else find this? Seen alot of people leaving early during the Franklin Hendo fight didnt understand this to be honest? Fairplay to Mark Coleman the man is a legend gave everything in the octagon last night. Seen an interview with him afterwards the man looked devastated.

Anyone see the scumbags exiting the evet? They kicked some lads car on the rd. The driver got out to take them on then some other scumbag takes his car keys from the car & throws them in the Liffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Hattaway could have been from any country, He'd have still been booed, The crowd were backing the hometown boy. Hattaway got booed at the weigh in's too, both then and in the cage he had the same reaction. He Smiled.

Only thing bad i can say about tonight is a couple of the fans in my section, someone threw a beer in the direction of the cage, it hit the fans just behind bernard dunne. and another idot shouting racist stuff at John Hattaway during the egan fight, He totally freeked out the lady sitting in front of him, had her in tears. Security at the o2 is pure sh*te.

I totally agree with the security thing, saw a near fight over who's seats were who's and a bunch of guys were smoking for long spells a couple of seat beside me, took security a couple of hrs to see them smoking. a young female security guard was less than 10 seats away from them opn the same row and actually watched one of them smoke for nearly a whole minute without doing anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

Anyone see the scumbags exiting the evet? They kicked some lads car on the rd. The driver got out to take them on then some other scumbag takes his car keys from the car & throws them in the Liffey.

Disgraceful

Did you see what happened after that? Did they run off or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Disgraceful

Did you see what happened after that? Did they run off or whatever?

Ye there was a bit of a scuffle & altercation lads ran off into the crowd. As I kept walking the cops arrived on the scene quickly but didnt see what happened after. You get these types of scumbags at all events. No interest in anything but causing trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭chiliconparmi

Ye there was a bit of a scuffle & altercation lads ran off into the crowd. As I kept walking the cops arrived on the scene quickly but didnt see what happened after. You get these types of scumbags at all events. No interest in anything but causing trouble.

I feel sorry for the guy getting his keys trown in the liffey. Unless he has a spare set at home he is screwed.

Yeah you're right you do get these type of scumbags at all events, what really annoys me is how much they get away with. At least in most cases they are in a minority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

I feel sorry for the guy getting his keys trown in the liffey. Unless he has a spare set at home he is screwed.

Yeah you're right you do get these type of scumbags at all events, what really annoys me is how much they get away with. At least in most cases they are in a minority

+1
    These morons show up at any events that involve combat sports. Even at the Dublin junior league finals (boxing) they were there, intent on being the morons that they are.
    You'll find that these muppets have no back ground in sport and are just larger louts, they've never trained or understand any aspect of the sport(s) they 'support'. Most of them are still in bed this morning nursing hangovers, they'll blend back into their chavy life styles until the next big sporting occasion that needs hard men in the audience.

Great event by the way. Not a huge UFC follower but really enjoyed it. Fair play to the Irish lad Tom Egan, even spaired a few words as Gaeilge at the end! Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'm trying, but its taking ages.

Youtube can be a royal pain in the tits sometimes.

Here's a rough panaramic view from my seating position.

Can anyone spot Roper?.. :P

that's weird i'm just slightly out to the right of this shot. dam!

there was one guy in front of me who kept asking who all the fighters were. the bloke with downs syndrome that he asked obliged and told him everything about them. also there was a lad in front who it seemed to have brought his girlfriend who looked like she couldn't have been arsed being there.

there was some awful shaping and eye staring going around aswell. buffed up gits with testerone running high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Jaysus lads I've never seen anything like last night. I was expecting the Dublin scummers to ruin it but I was actually shocked when I didn't see one bit of trouble from them so it was nice to see that a lot of them are genuine fans!

Mine and my missus night was very close to being ruined. We had a bunch of Cork lads behind us who at the start of the night seemed nice enough- just doing what any bunch of lads would do by taking the piss etc. They were clearly down for de weekend craic in Dublin and proceeded to knock the beers back, then one of them puked all over the place... nearly on me and the missus. Another one was spilling his beer all over us and I came VERY close to just losing the plot altogether.

The security was not nearly good enough to be honest and the O2 staff didn't keep a leash on things the way it should be at this type of event. People should NOT be allowed to all stand around as close to the cage as they can possibly get behind the barriers. It was pretty much chaos and it was only when a bunch of rockers kicked up murder in the stand behind us that security's ears seemed to perk up because they realised things were getting outta hand. I looked around the place and suddenly people were being roared back into the stands and into their seats! About ****ing time like!

If they'd just told people from the start that if they weren't going to the toilet or getting drinks to keep their bums in their seats then it would have been a much better night and way less messy.

I went to see UFC in the Odyssey up in Belfast last year and it was organised so much better with a constant security presence in place that were actively doing their jobs to keep things tidy. Last night even with a fairly significant Garda presence, they all seemed to just be standing around watching the fights and not watching the bloody crowd like they should be.

Fair enough, I know it's their first UFC in Dublin but the have had similar events on a smaller scale before and should have been much much better prepared. I've seen nearly every UFC event on telly plus the one I attended in the Odyssey and I've NEVER EVER seen the fans/crowd been given as much free reign as last night to just run rampant and fall around the place like gob****es. We came close to just walking out a few times. Other than all of this, there were some good fights and it was brilliant to see a lot of the fighters come out and mingle signing autographs etc. :)

*Edit*
    Feck sake, the missus got texts sayin we were seen on the telly. Both of us probably didn't look very impressed at the time lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

I taught the atmosphere was brillant, the banter where i was was great aswell. i was hoarse with the amount of screaming for coleman i did! Seriously even tough it wasnt the best card in the world I still have to say it was one of the most enjoyable experiences i ever had. Im just sad now its over :(

Great night, O2 is a really good arena (other than rip off ireland prices!). I had walked up expecting the usual que for 2 hours jobby but we were in the place in secounds! it was great being a henderson fan because of the crowd to the left of me with the massive "Rich Ace Frankiln" Postery thing! G'WAN Hendo.

Also in fairness with hathaway they wern't booin him at the end.

• Advertisement

Stop looking for an argument over nothing will you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 michael_23

I was a bit peeved with people booing Coleman. He deserves more respect than that.

+1
    I have Massive respect for Coleman.

I was surprised by the crowd. I was expecting a large collection of trouble making howayas but I didnt see any real trouble. was impressed with the O2 as a venue also.

There was a young bloke about 3 rows in front of me to the right that felt like standing to watch the fights, even when everyone else was sitting.! He was about 18 with all his mates etc. The crowd to my right kept shouting at him to sit down but he wasnt even slightly bothered. Then a french bloke in my row to the right of me lobs a bottle of club orange at his head. He then sheepishly sat down to a little cheer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I was surprised by the booing. Obviously the guys booing Hathoway are fair weather fans more used to the gaa/soccer/rugby etc. but I can't really explain the Coleman booing.

Like, if you know who Mark Coleman is you must have at least seen pride a couple of times so I don't think they were newbs. I'm going to put it down to them being pro wrestling fans and they think it's ok to boo a 'heel'.

There was a lot of booing for COleman and rua at the weign-ins.

Stop looking for an argument over nothing will you.

Im just looking for a bit of balance that is all.

Actually funny story.

Alistair Overeem was getting photos taken and this fella was standing beside me waiting for a photo and he starts calling Alistair "Remy". Overeem wasn;t responding so I said to him "dude that's Alistair Overeem not Remy Bonjasky" and he turns, looks at me blankly, and then turns back and again calls out "Remy, Remy!" :D

I have this image of him posting a pic on his bebo/facebook with the tag "Me and Remy Bonjasky" only for his mates to call him on it!

Separated at birth!? you decide!! :D

remy_bonjasky01.jpgAlistair%20Overeem_01.jpg

I was surprised by the booing. Obviously the guys booing Hathoway are fair weather fans more used to the gaa/soccer/rugby etc.

As been said before a number of times it is panto simple as.
    Like, if you know who Mark Coleman is you must have at least seen pride a couple of times so I don't think they were newbs. I'm going to put it down to them being pro wrestling fans and they think it's ok to boo a 'heel'.

So heels (antagonists) dont exist in any other genre of entertainment or sport? :rolleyes:

I was surprised by the booing. Obviously the guys booing Hathoway are fair weather fans more used to the gaa/soccer/rugby etc. but I can't really explain the Coleman booing.

There was a lot of booing for COleman and rua at the weign-ins.

Did you not see the promo videos? Coleman was basically saying that when they last fought he knew that Rua's arm was broken and he continued to attack him anyway etc.
    There's nothing wrong with cheering who you want to win and booing who you don't. Can't stand all this elitist ****e people are coming out with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TLG

hatthaway laughed at the booing because it was stupid. the crowd were harmless and nothing to complain about except one time i saw a beer being thrown like 10 rows in front of the thrower which was awful and if he was cauhgt should have been kicked out.

i didnt like the way they booed hendersons win like little bitches boo hoo. i think he won the fight, doing more damage and winning 2 rounds to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

kyub wrote: »
    Mine and my missus night was very close to being ruined. We had a bunch of Cork lads behind us who at the start of the night seemed nice enough- just doing what any bunch of lads would do by taking the piss etc. They were clearly down for de weekend craic in Dublin and proceeded to knock the beers back, then one of them puked all over the place... nearly on me and the missus. Another one was spilling his beer all over us and I came VERY close to just losing the plot altogether.

Were you in block E???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Anti British cr@p, anything his tiny little mind could force out of his mouth.

As for Booing coleman, The promo clips of what happened in pride didnt show him in the best light. Even the backstage clip were he's bragging about standing on silva's head. I was completly up for Rua and yes i booed coleman, but I also clapped and showed appriecation for the effort that Coleman put in.

Advertisement