Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Crowd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

View from my seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I had a great time but three things kept pissing me (and the people behind me) off. Directly in front of me were 3 idiots who had absolutely no interest in what they were watching. Shouts of "Kill him" and "rip his ****ing head off". They also had this problem where they kept standing up completely blocking the view of 2 rows behind them. Then one of them starts whinging because his 2 friends ****ed off and left him on his own for 10 minutes. I am not surprised they left him because he was a twat.

The next thing that pissed me off was the idiot in front of them. This moron tood up constantly roaring abuse at the screen. Before the Coleman fight he gave cries for him to die and for Shogun to kill him. Then he pisses off to the bar halfway through the 2nd round. WTF.

The 3rd thing that really annoyed me was the amount of times I had to stand up for people to go to the toilet, bar etc. People should have some courtesy for everyone else and wait until the fight is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

liger wrote: »
    Were you in block E???

Nope, block G.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

kyub wrote: »
    Nope, block G.

Was just wondering because there were 5 lads behind me and the couple beisde me, near the end of the night they were getting messy and the chap of the couple had a few words and i thought he was going to hit one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sm0ke wrote: »

Great night, O2 is a really good arena (other than rip off ireland prices!). I had walked up expecting the usual que for 2 hours jobby but we were in the place in secounds! it was great being a henderson fan because of the crowd to the left of me with the massive "Rich Ace Frankiln" Postery thing! G'WAN Hendo.

Also in fairness with hathaway they wern't booin him at the end.

Consider that Americans have to pay 45$ for the PPV. For 50 euro you could get in and see it Live. For 250 you could get ringside, in the US ringside seats cost in the thousands. Rip off, its an absolute bargain.

The crowd did their job, Dana White compared us to 22,000 Canadians in Montreal and said our atmosphere was just as good, one of the greatest events he has ever been to for atmosphere. I think we can all feel proud for the shouting we did. 9,500 people may have shouted the UFC to come back as soon as they can:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

liger wrote: »
    Was just wondering because there were 5 lads behind me and the couple beisde me, near the end of the night they were getting messy and the chap of the couple had a few words and i thought he was going to hit one of them.

Think I know the group you are on about, was sitting behind them and one guy was mouthing at everyone then fell asleep just at the last fight. Another guy down near the end of the row thought it was great to give all the guys the finger and shout "kill the brit" even when Hattaway was not fighting. Good night, just a shame that it attracted a lot of assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

we arrived at 7pm, crowd was hot for the tom egan fight and the Davis/Lytle main card opener. they seemed to lose a bit of interest for the next two fights but were back in the groove for the final two fights of the evening.

have to say everyone in our section was very well behaved, the 02 is an ok venue, its light years beyond the old cowshed that was the point but there is still improvements that could be done. obviously proper transport access to and from the venue cannot come quick enough for one

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Did any of ye buy those commentary live-link earphones? There were a couple of lads near me (Block K) using them, and they spent the evening shouting out "shut the f**k up Goldberg", "Rogan you geebag, stop talking s**te" and similar crap.

Bearing in mind that no-one nearby could know what it was that the commentators were saying, this was fairly handicapped. Imagine paying good money to get voices in your head that you apparently found highly objectionable. I dunno. :rolleyes:

It was a pretty good crowd generally, more lively than Belfast, but you're bound to get a few retards per ten thousand. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Ole Ole brigade was annoying,Alistair Overeem was high fiveing the crowd before Shogun came out and and this woman beside me grabbed him and started dogging into him:) It was crazy the amount of times people going in and out to the toilet/shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rancour

the amount of people who left after each fight was crazy! was a brill night, the queue to get was fun the weather was awesome!!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Did any of ye buy those commentary live-link earphones? There were a couple of lads near me (Block K) using them, and they spent the evening shouting out "shut the f**k up Goldberg", "Rogan you geebag, stop talking s**te" and similar crap.

Bearing in mind that no-one nearby could know what it was that the commentators were saying, this was fairly handicapped. Imagine paying good money to get voices in your head that you apparently found highly objectionable. I dunno. :rolleyes:

It was a pretty good crowd generally, more lively than Belfast, but you're bound to get a few retards per ten thousand. :D

I bought one (actually I bought two, one for my son) and the commentry was EXACTLY what you'd have heard on TV, nothing more or less and well worth buying IMO.

I'm not a huge UFC fan, my son loves it. And tbh, I thought it a bit rich to pay 75 Euro for a seat in the clouds then watch almost 90% of the show looking at the big TV screens.

Had the screen's been downstairs I think I'd have sat there with a few beers and watched it there.

Honestly, reflecting on it I wouldn't pay to see another UFC show in the O2. But as I said, I'm not a huge UFC fan.

Mairt wrote: »
    I bought one (actually I bought two, one for my son) and the commentry was EXACTLY what you'd have heard on TV, nothing more or less and well worth buying IMO.

I'm not a huge UFC fan, my son loves it. And tbh, I thought it a bit rich to pay 75 Euro for a seat in the clouds then watch almost 90% of the show looking at the big TV screens.

Had the screen's been downstairs I think I'd have sat there with a few beers and watched it there.

Honestly, reflecting on it I wouldn't pay to see another UFC show in the O2. But as I said, I'm not a huge UFC fan.

Agreed about the 'cheap' seats, next time I'll either shell out for the ringside or just watch it at home. Having said that, can't beat the atmosphere at a live show. Looked over at my mate when Bruce was doing the intro for the main event, he was sitting there with his mouth open, awestruck. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I was in the back of block B. That Irish Magician fella (Keith Barry I think) was sitting in front of me with his girlfriend who was absolutely gorgeous by the way. Fair play to ya Keith.
    It was gas watching people turn around and notice him and then start to talk to him like they know him in the middle of fights. I'd say thats head wreckin cause he was polite and nice to everyone. And the funny thing was they would talk to him and then talk to his girlfriend more because she was so hot!! A little bald headed guy sitting beside Keith Barry actually moved into his seat when he went to the shop or toilet and didnt have any intention of moving when he came back. It was so embarassing. I was cringing. He thought he was getting stuck in.

Also some idiot in a white shirt with a goatee was standing up the whole time screaming god knows what at the screens and shaking his hand in a masterbating fashion. He was directly in my eye line of the cage and about 5 rows away. If this guy wasn't on drugs I think he must of been retarded. While fights were goin on he was standing up facing away from the cage dancing with a drink in his hand and casting his eye around the crowd as if he was at a club. If you stand up in a football stadium it takes seconds for the stewards to tell you off. Didn't see that happen at all.

On a light hearted note. There was a group of country lads behind me who got progressively more drunk and more funnily stupid as the night went on. Three of them hadn't got a clue and kept asking One of them what was going on. The funniest was Kang v Belcher the lads didnt know any of them and they asked their mate who was who. He replied Kang is the one with the tattoo!! Both of them have tattoos but instead of any of them noticing they all went "Ah yeah".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I'm still laughing at some of the descriptions of the crowd. Sounds like a right collection of head the balls.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

I started this thread to be light hearted and it has been. Even though everyone has stories about mad shhit that went on I don't think any of this takes away from the joy of being at a UFC event. How brilliant is that! I actually had goose bumps when Buffer said "ITS TIME".

I started this thread to be light hearted and it has been. Even though everyone has stories about mad shhit that went on I don't think any of this takes away from the joy of being at a UFC event. How brilliant is that! I actually had goose bumps when Buffer said "ITS TIME".
    Atomsphere stepped up when the it was on tv,it was crazy seeing the intro video on the big screen and then it started,what a night

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

Im sure barry could have made your man disappear.

I was in K block and although I was near the back I was looking right into the cage. There was one bloke behind my da who kept spilling beer down our backs! I knew by looking at him he had nt a clue in his ben shermin shirt and shouting "kiss him" every time the fighters clinched.

I regret not getting the radio thing, did nt really know what it was. But the guys infront of me kept nodding in unison at certain times and I was wondering what was going on esp when the ref stoped shogun and coleman and when the 3 of them went "ah ah ah".

But it was a great event and the atmosphere was quality.

Wexler12 wrote: »
    Atomsphere stepped up when the it was on tv,it was crazy seeing the intro video on the big screen and then it started,what a night

Yeah, you can feel the excitement ramping up just prior to going live. That video they show a few minutes before that (the one that ends with the Griffin-Bonnar fight) is magic, gives ya goosebumps.

Yeah, you can feel the excitement ramping up just prior to going live. That video they show a few minutes before that (the one that ends with the Griffin-Bonnar fight) is magic, gives ya goosebumps.
    That video gets you going,I never knew the UFC taught that fight to be one of the best or the best ever

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Does Bruce Buffer do that sharp twist thing at each UFC event??

I was with a mate and there were 4 couples around us, the girl to my left was stunning and in fairness to her she was very knowledgeable about the moves, takedowns, defences etc. A girl in front while stunning proceeded to get mashed (and get up every 10 mins)while her boyfriend didnt leave his seat from 5pm til after the end of the main fight, must have had a very sore ass!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

bufferGIF.gif

Yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yes. Although he usually does it for both fighters. It makes me laugh every time!:)

And all of the ppl complaining about booing don't get that it is exactly the reaction that the UFC are looking for. Coleman was portrayed as the bad guy so therefore he was booed. If he had been cheered the UFC wouldn't have been doing their job correctly. Just look at how BJ Penn is being portrayed on the Prime Time show...

And like most succesful fighters, Coleman knows that getting booed is much better than getting no reaction at all.

If you don't get booing you just don't get fight promotion. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I was with a mate and there were 4 couples around us, the girl to my left was stunning and in fairness to her she was very knowledgeable about the moves, takedowns, defences etc. A girl in front while stunning proceeded to get mashed (and get up every 10 mins)while her boyfriend didnt leave his seat from 5pm til after the end of the main fight, must have had a very sore ass!!

Isnt it called the buffer shuffle and he does it each fight not just event, doesnt get caught much on camera these days :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Mikel

bufferGIF.gif

heheheh awesome!

Wexler12 wrote: »
    That video gets you going,I never knew the UFC taught that fight to be one of the best or the best ever

The "Baba O'Reilly" vid gets me every event I go to. this one was ruined cos we were standing at the back and the woman working there kept at us to move, wouldn't let us wait till the video was over. Very annoying really.

:rolleyes: Idiots.

I bought one, best tenner I'll ever spend. Without it I wouldn't have know that Jeremy Horn was talking to Rogan mid fight! Brilliant!
    Agreed about the 'cheap' seats, next time I'll either shell out for the ringside or just watch it at home. Having said that, can't beat the atmosphere at a live show. Looked over at my mate when Bruce was doing the intro for the main event, he was sitting there with his mouth open, awestruck. :D

Don't buy ringside, when the fight hits the ground u have to look at the screens. Buy the ones nearest but on a tier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CKY

i was in block c..perfect seatin i thought..e175 section
    i thought the crowd of was excellent..highlight was house of pain,place fairly went nuts for it.

the 10e radios were a blessing..

big bucket of popcorn for the win!!

CKY wrote: »

big bucket of popcorn for the win!!

Again, another reason why I'd prefer to go to London than another in Dublin. Sh1te option for food. I was drained at the end. Had my pic taken with Rogan and I look grumpy as fúck due to lack of nutrition and running on coke and Mars bars for about 7 hours straight. At least in London you can buy pizza/chips/hot dogs (yes u can buy them in Dublin too but I had one and wasn't gpoin neear a second one) etc which, while not the most nutritious in the world, will keep you going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

running on coke and Mars bars for about 7 hours straight

I believe you can last 20 odd days without food:rolleyes:

I thought the event was class except for the 20 mile queue for the toilet, image what it would be like for a girlie gig (Take That or something) :eek:

The ole ole stuff was sad but it got the crowd going. Didn't see any trouble at all, it's true there is no bad seat in the O2, though I'd say I annoyed everyone in my row getting a round in between every other bout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ificould

Glad to see the UFC come to Dublin and fill the house !!! Atmosphere in
    Belfast was **** Empty seats all over the gaff !

Advertisement