Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Crowd

Comments

Dana called it the best pound for pound crowd the ufc has ever had in his latest video blog on youtube.

So GG Dublin :D

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I believe you can last 20 odd days without food:rolleyes:

Yea you can also survive with one kidney but that doesn't make it a good idea. They knew the event would be approx 7 hours long and running through most normal peoples dinner time. It's not unreasonable to expect a "state of the art facility" to have some decent food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ificould

Met Dana in the Shelbourne he was telling me that he was looking at prorperty in Donegal !!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

The "Baba O'Reilly" vid gets me every event I go to.

I bought one, best tenner I'll ever spend. Without it I wouldn't have know that Jeremy Horn was talking to Rogan mid fight! Brilliant!

Don't buy ringside, when the fight hits the ground u have to look at the screens. Buy the ones nearest but on a tier.

That's the name of it, cheers! Guaranteed to convert anyone new to the sport.

Just finished watching the replay on Setanta, you can see Horn giving a thumbs up and a cheesy grin from under Palhares' armpit. :D

And you're spot on with those seats Neil, was buying them originally until my brothers-in-arms pussed out on paying a measly €175.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

Wow I just watched the blog and Dana was really really delighted with the crowd. Calling it Pound for Pound the best crowd is an honour. And did someone say to Tom Egan at the end "Do you want to fight in London?".
    Actually I think he says it to Hathaway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

For a state of the art facility it lacks decent food, even the burger/fish/sausage/chips would suffice. Maybe for a typical gig people are only in the building a maximum of 2 hours they don't bother with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

I thought the show was fantasic and I'm glad to hear there's already a talk of a return to ireland...I'll definately be going again!

I was in a €75 seat (block M) and I expected to be watching the fights on the big screen but I could see most of the action in the cage no problem. I had no problem with people getting beers in between fights (i did it myself) but I couldn't believe people were getting up during fights !!! It wasn't like there were queues for the beer or anything!

As for the booing, I was also disappointed with it but I knew it was too much to hope that guys wouldn't boo hathaway. When I heard the booing I started clapping for Hathaway but I half expected to get a beer in the head (or a clatter!) for it but thankfully that didn't happen.
    At the same time, the atmosphere when tom walked out was worth the price of admission alone. I happily joined in ole ole and the fields of athenry too. Shame Tom didn't get the win but I hope to see him fight again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

A quick one:

I've been at events in a lot of places where drink is allowed during the event and I don't think the comments about alcohol being the problem are entirely justified. If you go to Croker on a Sunday this summer there'll be beer served, there'll be beers drunk beforehand, and you'll still see a well behaved crowd. For my part, I was ready to thump a lad behind me roaring abuse at Tom Egan once the fight began, and he'd been one of the more enthusiastic booers for Hatthaway. A few people told him to shut up and by the main card he was trying to not let himself nod off which was good because hearing him shout "ride him" whenever the fight hit the ground to much laughter from his mates had been too funny for me. But in my section, he was the only arsehole. As for the people standing up and down, it was grand for us I have to say. 5 hours is a long time and aside from refreshments, people need to go pee pee and I have to say that everyone around us only seemed to move between fights.

Personally, I think ANY event where you put a load of excited young men in an arena for 5 hours, give them beer and no food and you will have people getting messy. I was much drunker than I'd normally allow myself to get thanks to being absolutely starving. Overall however, I thought the crowd was quite good apart from the booing which, as everyone knows, is the new cheering.

Things I didn't like: Olé olé. I hate that. Being in the nosebleeds and watching a TV for the night. Booing. Losing a tenner on the main event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Oh and LOL at all the lads in Tapout tees trying to look big when walking the concourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭DeadlyByDesign

Roper wrote: »
    Oh and LOL at all the lads in Tapout tees trying to look big when walking the concourse.

Thank God! Thought I was the only one who noticed this. I deliberately did not wear anything MMA affiliated...instead went with the Justin Timberlake look of a waistcoat and shirt:o.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I had three guys in front of me who were genuinely more interested in the beer than in the fights. The saving grace was they would spend about 15 to 20 minutes at a go down having a smoke, so not so bad. When they were in their seats they were standing up a LOT, so i asked them to sit down.

One of them got quite agressive with me, I simple explained to him that if i missed much more to the card due to them it wouldn't be worth my time staying. The agressive one told me to go then, and i told him if i was leaving then it would be security putting me out of the same door his ambulance was waiting at. After that, they settled down quite nicely and wouldn't even say boo!

I had a great night myself, very enjoybale experience all said and done!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

liger wrote: »
    Was just wondering because there were 5 lads behind me and the couple beisde me, near the end of the night they were getting messy and the chap of the couple had a few words and i thought he was going to hit one of them.

Sorry that was me in seat 124 I think. Not proud of myself but after getting constant knees in the back, beer spilt over me and the missus the final straw was getting hit in the back of the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Dragan wrote: »
    I had three guys in front of me who were genuinely more interested in the beer than in the fights. The saving grace was they would spend about 15 to 20 minutes at a go down having a smoke, so not so bad. When they were in their seats they were standing up a LOT, so i asked them to sit down.

One of them got quite agressive with me, I simple explained to him that if i missed much more to the card due to them it wouldn't be worth my time staying. The agressive one told me to go then, and i told him if i was leaving then it would be security putting me out of the same door his ambulance was waiting at. After that, they settled down quite nicely and wouldn't even say boo!

I had a great night myself, very enjoybale experience all said and done!

That was me you said it to and you're dead. :D

That is quality mate, love it.

i was in the Clarion on Thursday night and got to meet loads of the fighers, as well as getting to see them do workouts on the first floor - i have a video on my phone of some pad work by Coleman which I will try to post on you tube.
    most of the guys were really cool but have to say Franklin and Henderson are dicks in the way they go on - not fighter bashing, just saying how I see it. I understand they had a fight on, but it wouldn't hurt to spend seconds with the fans. Everyone else was exceptionally pleasant, particularly Joe Silva, Dana White and Dan Miragliotta. Baroni was sound, but a bit of a mouth. Tom Egan very nice as was Kampmann. Marcus Davis and Chris Lytle also top guys.
    I was also taking to one of the guys from the Nevada State Athletic Commission who gave me loads of stories that I couldn't post here!!
    Most people there on Thursday night were real fans as opposed to those there after the weigh ins, who in a sad example of the TUF generation, were all over Kristof Sozinski ( sic ) and yet didn't have a clue of who Murilo Bustamante was - embarassing, particularly when I got a pic with Murilo and some lad says " who is he " - when i told him, he says " oh i've heard his name before " and then rushes in to get a picture. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭bigslick

i was in the Clarion on Thursday night and got to meet loads of the fighers, as well as getting to see them do workouts on the first floor - i have a video on my phone of some pad work by Coleman which I will try to post on you tube.
    most of the guys were really cool but have to say Franklin and Henderson are dicks in the way they go on - not fighter bashing, just saying how I see it. I understand they had a fight on, but it wouldn't hurt to spend seconds with the fans. Everyone else was exceptionally pleasant, particularly Joe Silva, Dana White and Dan Miragliotta. Baroni was sound, but a bit of a mouth. Tom Egan very nice as was Kampmann. Marcus Davis and Chris Lytle also top guys.
    I was also taking to one of the guys from the Nevada State Athletic Commission who gave me loads of stories that I couldn't post here!!
    Most people there on Thursday night were real fans as opposed to those there after the weigh ins, who in a sad example of the TUF generation, were all over Kristof Sozinski ( sic ) and yet didn't have a clue of who Murilo Bustamante was - embarassing, particularly when I got a pic with Murilo and some lad says " who is he " - when i told him, he says " oh i've heard his name before " and then rushes in to get a picture. Sad.

Have to agree with your sentiments of the fighters. Unfortunetly I didn't meet or even see Rich outside of the Octagon. I found Henderson was extremly nice!! Posing for pics and signing autographs for fans. Real nice.

But nicest UFC person easily goes to: Dana White. This man went out of his way to accomadate fans with anything. Went to weigh in and he spent at least an hour if not more posing for fans. After crowd died down i saw him chatting on phone, and strolled over slowly. When he hung up he came right over to me and introduced himself (As if i didnt already know !!!). I was delighted. Chatted to me about the main card and was just a great guy, as im sure he had alot to organise for the next day.
    Both Goldberg and Rogan were real nice as well. I found that after the weigh ins the hotel was mobbed, but this was the only time that this was like this. I went to the hotel at least 6 times over the weekend, and the most was maybe 3 autograph hunters, including myself!!!

Anyone see the scumbags exiting the evet? They kicked some lads car on the rd. The driver got out to take them on then some other scumbag takes his car keys from the car & throws them in the Liffey.

From what I hear it was the lads in the cars starting it, hitting lads in their car at slow speeds? Idiots whoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

bigslick wrote: »
    But nicest UFC person easily goes to: Dana White.

Yeah I met him for only a few seconds and I have to say he came across as a very charming, nice guy.

He does seem to have so much time for the fans. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Myself and my buddy were walking back up the quays when the guys pulled up in the car literally straight across the street from us. Don't know what started it before all this but the guy that jumped outta the car was on a mission, few others got involved very quickly. It all just looked like drunken idiot ****e. Didn't hang around to see the keys getting thrown in the liffey but from what I saw the guy in the blue jumper (first guy to jump out of the car) was the agressor so I wouldn't be overly sympathetic if a harsh lesson was learned.

Like I say though...I don't know what kicked it all off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Roper wrote: »
    For my part, I was ready to thump a lad behind me roaring abuse at Tom Egan once the fight began, and he'd been one of the more enthusiastic booers for Hatthaway. A few people told him to shut up and by the main card he was trying to not let himself nod off which was good because hearing him shout "ride him" whenever the fight hit the ground to much laughter from his mates had been too funny for me. .

I'd a few words with the same lads myself B, it was a crowd of them taking up maybe 10-12 seats in about three rows.

My son, who can get thick quick enough himself (what 17yr old won't!) had one of 'em square up to him!.

But mostly the craic was brilliant, I'm glad I went. But like I said earlier, I'd have been content to watch the action on big screens with a pint downstairs rather than squint at the octagon from the nose bleeds as you call 'em.

The TapouT Tee's and shapers - I told my son they worked for Des Kellys carpets. He didn't get it until I told him its an old gym joke about lads who think they're still carrying rolls of carpet under their arms :D

Mairt wrote: »
    The TapouT Tee's and shapers - I told my son they worked for Des Kellys carpets. He didn't get it until I told him its an old gym joke about lads who think they're still carrying rolls of carpet under their arms :D

ILS at it's best!!! The complete irony that i found was that sitting right behind me was Richie Moore, Karl Roche and a load of other Irish guys and they were some of the quietest , most respectful guys in the place. Lads with genuine ability who get in the ring and fight had absolutely nothing to prove to anyone other than to enjoy themselves.

All the ****ing 100euro t-shirt buyers seemed to be out to prove something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭judomick

Mairt wrote: »

The TapouT Tee's

are you quite tall, big build with red hair?

judomick wrote: »
    are you quite tall, big build with red hair?

I'll take the bait, YES.

its just i could swear ive seen you at more than one ROT wearing one of those Tapout tee,s

its just i could swear ive seen you at more than one ROT wearing one of those Tapout tee,s

Oh, most likely you did. So whats your point?.

your giving out about people wearing tapout tees, when you are the same? is that not hypocritical or have i not read your post correctly?

your giving out about people wearing tapout tees, when you are the same? is that not hypocritical or have i not read your post correctly?

Give it over ffs :rolleyes:

Moi @ UFC93.
    not really, but two can play at 'silly buggers'

Tapout tee,s:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

was walking down the quays at about half two when who should pass me in the lashing rain but Michael Bisping. He was giving out (and rightly so) about the ****ty weather so don't worry he's one of us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Had great night the radio's were very good best 10 euro spent. Got photo taken with Bruce buffer, Eddie Bravo and Bisping.

No trouble with people in my section except a little after the event but it was harmless, guy next to me spend 175 on ticket and watched the screen partically all night and we had great seats for live viewing.

• Advertisement

I would say you have read his post incorrectly.

Did you ever see Mairt making shapes or acting hard at a ROT, or any other event which you both attended?

Or did you see him enjoying the fights?

This may be some weird Judo thing that i am not getting, but i doubt it somehow.

Advertisement