Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 93 Crowd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dragan wrote: »
    I would say you have read his post incorrectly.

Did you ever see Mairt making shapes or acting hard at a ROT, or any other event which you both attended?

Or did you see him enjoying the fights?

This may be some weird Judo thing that i am not getting, but i doubt it somehow.

Thanks, but don't sweat it D, I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Wow I just watched the blog and Dana was really really delighted with the crowd. Calling it Pound for Pound the best crowd is an honour. And did someone say to Tom Egan at the end "Do you want to fight in London?".
    Actually I think he says it to Hathaway.

He was very impressed with both of them and then said "Do you want to do it again in London?"

Couldn't see if he was only talking to Hathaway or if he meant a rematch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭cletus

I was in Block M, and I still spent most of the time watching the cage, only watched the screens to see some of the stuff on the ground or in the clinch. All in all I thought the crowd was pretty good. The booing was to be expected. Biggest problem for me was 4 or 5 fellas from Drogheda, well drunk, shouting general ribbish ("stand up" when the guy is mounted etc.) Coming near the end of the night, one of them tried to start a row with me. Apart from that, a great night. I'd def go again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

I only watched the event on TV but the crowd appeared to be better than most in the states who seem to boo everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

He was very impressed with both of them and then said "Do you want to do it again in London?"

yeah thats what I thought too, don't think its the right move for Tom right now, would like to see him matched against someone of his own level of experience..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

siochain wrote: »
    yeah thats what I thought too, don't think its the right move for Tom right now, would like to see him matched against someone of his own level of experience..

Well if you want to fight in the UFC you have to get used to a high standard and if what i heard about tom being offered a 4 fight contract he needs to up his game rather than settle for lower standard fighters.I agree hes relatively new in his fight career but the audiences watching the UFC are fairly unforgiving and wouldnt settle for substandard performances.From what ive seen of Tom hes very talented and a great guy but I dont think too many people would pay to watch many more performances like saturday nights.Im sure he'll improve and we'll see better from Tom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Mairt wrote: »
    Here's a rough panaramic view from my seating position.

you spying on me Mairt? lol

(first pic circled in red)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

davmol wrote: »
    Well if you want to fight in the UFC you have to get used to a high standard and if what i heard about tom being offered a 4 fight contract he needs to up his game rather than settle for lower standard fighters.I agree hes relatively new in his fight career but the audiences watching the UFC are fairly unforgiving and wouldnt settle for substandard performances.From what ive seen of Tom hes very talented and a great guy but I dont think too many people would pay to watch many more performances like saturday nights.Im sure he'll improve and we'll see better from Tom.

Reread: fighters his own level not lower standard,

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Skull wrote: »
    Sorry that was me in seat 124 I think. Not proud of myself but after getting constant knees in the back, beer spilt over me and the missus the final straw was getting hit in the back of the head.

Yeah that was yourself, 124, and no need to apologise. I thought you were going to hit them and cant blame you. Had a few knees in the back and some beer split too. And without meaning to cause any offense, congrats on the missus, she is a stunner.

Ran into Marcus Davis today, got to congratulate him on the win. The swelling has come down a good bit on the face and he was saying the win helps with pain. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

he wasnt talking to tom he was talking to someone behind the camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Skull

liger wrote: »
    Yeah that was yourself, 124, and no need to apologise. I thought you were going to hit them and cant blame you. Had a few knees in the back and some beer split too. And without meaning to cause any offense, congrats on the missus, she is a stunner.

Ran into Marcus Davis today, got to congratulate him on the win. The swelling has come down a good bit on the face and he was saying the win helps with pain. :D

The "stunner" wasn't talking to me for a while after that but all good now.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they were in front of us or beside us & it nearly put a dampener on the whole thing. Apart from that it was brilliant, our seats were great. Would have liked to have met Marcus Davis he comes across very well. Met Phil Baroni in the Clarion beforehand, I don't know how this lad fights at 185lb he is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Would have liked to have met Marcus Davis he comes across very well.

Met him on Friday in the Clarion and then today, very nice chap. no problem with him taking a couple of mins to talk to a fan. A lot of other sports could learn a lot from the UFC.

And skull, glad to hear everythings fine with the missus now. Nothing worse than getting into the dog house when its not really your fault.

you spying on me Mairt? lol

First one to spot Roper I'll buy 'em a tray of Dutch Gold :P

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

The "stunner" wasn't talking to me for a while after that but all good now.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they were in front of us or beside us & it nearly put a dampener on the whole thing. Apart from that it was brilliant, our seats were great. Would have liked to have met Marcus Davis he comes across very well. Met Phil Baroni in the Clarion beforehand, I don't know how this lad fights at 185lb he is massive.

He's fighting at 170 these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Mairt wrote: »
    First one to spot Roper I'll buy 'em a tray of Dutch Gold :P

Cant miss that patch :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Overall I was fairly pleased with the crowd, the booing was regrettable, but by no means excessive, plus every fighter that was booed, ended up getting an applause. THe overall crowd seemed more educated than I was expecting, with applause for sweeps and guard recoveries. There were a few heads there that caused some issues.

For future events, I would favour no alcohol being served. Anyone else agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

dunkamania wrote: »
    For future events, I would favour no alcohol being served. Anyone else agree?

I would be happy enough to have no booze in the arena myself. If people want to have a few beers between fights then by all means and i feel tickets would be a hard sell with no beer option.

That said, as a punter who doesn't really drink at all anymore, i am generally happier at things where there is no booze.

Granted, it is only ever a small portion of any crowd that abuses beer and causes issues, the simple fact is it is a small portion every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

The only drawback I experienced was people getting up to get beer during fights and in fact that didn't bother me all that much. A simple announcement requesting people stay in their seats during fights would cut down on that.

The minority will ruin things for others but I think an idiot is an idiot drunk or sober.
    I wouldn't ban alcohol just because the minority threw beer or started argements. I wouldn't ban UFC just because I saw a big fight walking back from the O2.

I don't usually drink at events/ concerts (beer is usually crap/ long queues/ bars are miles away) but the setup in the O2 was good and I enjoyed a few beers watching the fights. Didn't make me act like an asshole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Banning alcohol might keep a small minority of committed fans happy,or the number who were interrupted by drunken twats, but its a saturday night and if youre an adult you should have the choice and the large majority chose to have a few drinks judging by the queues at the bars.Its not the drink that is responsible but the knobs who abuse it and have no respect for others viewing the fights.I would say ,ike previous poster, to have announcements for people to stay in seats and tighter security who would stamp out lads being aggressive like that knob shouting racist rants and throwing a beer.He should have been chucked out........................into the liffey!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I had a good few drinks at the show and IMO it made the night better :) I always waited for a fight to end before I got up to go to the bar and every time I went to the bar I made a stop off at the jacks. I also got 2 beers at a time to save myself from going to the bar every 10mins. I would have been lost without those cup holders in the seats (EVERY arena needs them) No one in the row I was in got up untill the fights had ended. I don't know if I got lucky with the row i was in but there was not one bit of trobule and i had a great night.

• Advertisement

dancor wrote: »
    Cant miss that patch :pac:

Do you really want the Dutch Gold - baring in mind what the lads will think!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

for the price of the alcohol i'd wouldn't mind if the banned it for the next one. A disgrace imo.
    As for the crowd, i thought the atmosphere was brilliant. Just how i'd hoped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

I agree thought the atmosphere was great, apart from the few muppets who would complain about any ground games, overall good appreciation for solid shots, takedowns, Palahaeres awesome Slam and Suplex :D:D

Too many Franklin fans, i was all for Hendo though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

The-Game wrote: »
    I agree thought the atmosphere was great, apart from the few muppets who would complain about any ground games, overall good appreciation for solid shots, takedowns, Palahaeres awesome Slam and Suplex :D:D

Too many Franklin fans, i was all for Hendo though :D

I thought there was a lot more Hendo fans judging by t-shirts and general talk. Only seen one girl with a Franklin t-shirt while I seen numerous Henderson ones, which is why I was surprised when the crowd were booing the decision going to Henderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Thanks Dancor, whoever you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

winston82 wrote: »
    for the price of the alcohol i'd wouldn't mind if the banned it for the next one. A disgrace imo.
    As for the crowd, i thought the atmosphere was brilliant. Just how i'd hoped.

Weren't the pints €6? You'd pay that in many pubs in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JayX

I thought the overall atmosphere at the show was electric. All the guys I spoke to in between fights in the rows nearby, or just randomers queuing for the toilets seemed to be really buzzing about the show and were genuinely passionate about MMA in general.

For all the giving out about booing, well, I ain't ashamed to admit that I booed Hathaway, for no other reason than he was fighting one of our own, but like many have mentioned, it was all very tongue in cheek and I don't recall hearing any boos when he won, just a wave of applause, at his excellent performance, which makes sense (you're hardly going to cheer the guy who beat the hometown hero now are you?)

At any sporting event though, especially when alcohol is readily available, you are bound to get a minority of trouble-makers who don't behave in the spirit of the event, but I think it is more important to focus on the 99% who came and cheered and were passionate, but well behaved and created an atmosphere so amazing that Dana called us the best pound for pound crowd in the world and is already making plans to come back for Paddy's weekend next year!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Weren't the pints €6? You'd pay that in many pubs in town

€4.50 where I'm from. Carlsberg is piss too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    €4.50 where I'm from. Carlsberg is piss too.

I had a bottle of bud when I got there first and it cost me €6 (and it was not a full size bottle) I drink pints of Carlsberg after that (a drink I would never have in a pub in town) but my God they went down so well. Must of drank about 9 or 10 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭agardiner22

Bcause you are a wino superwoody101

Advertisement