Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So will UFC come to Dublin again soon??????

Options
  • 18-01-2009 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭

Well Guys, do you think the event left a big enough impression for it to become a regular thing?(I sure hope so) The atmosphere was great as it was, could you imagine what it would be like with a title fight for example.

Comments

Given how quickly it sold out, i'd say its very likely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Derek Coleman

The only problem is whether the UFC can fit in all these shows throughout the year. They are pretty much obligated to have a show in America every month and a half. They have fitted in the overseas shows in between. So If they have profitted from this (Sure they have) and they can fit us in then I think its definite they'll be back. There was no negatives for the UFC tonight. No human Cock fighting comparisons. Came across well and even my Ma watched it for the first time and liked it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Given how quickly it sold out, i'd say its very likely

looking forward to hearing Danas' opinion on how things went

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

The only problem is whether the UFC can fit in all these shows throughout the year. They are pretty much obligated to have a show in America every month and a half. They have fitted in the overseas shows in between. So If they have profitted from this (Sure they have) and they can fit us in then I think its definite they'll be back. There was no negatives for the UFC tonight. No human Cock fighting comparisons. Came across well and even my Ma watched it for the first time and liked it!!

maybe we could split the rest with the UK? Heres hoping anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

You talk sense. Maybe if the UFC increased the amount of UFN shows in the States they can export more events overseas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Id say they might but I have doubts aswell since to actually come here musta been really feckin expensive. Maybe with the ticket sales it balances out but they musta lost a fair bit on the PPV in the US too (due to time difference & since gsp/penn is in a couple weeks)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I think it will definitely be back, they sold out in 4 days for starters. Also they are doing a lot of promotion work bringing it to UK and Ireland mainly with the current form of Bisping. Hes been given the coaching job of team UK with Dan Henderson being the coach for team USA in the next Ultimate fighter so they are definitely looking to get things going this side of the pond. Id be suprised if there wasnt another card here in the next year or so and with Tom Egan fighting aswell and the way the show went tonight they have to be considering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hopefully it will be back again. Probably not until 2010 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

If it went the way of 72 (Dana wasn't happy with a lot of the facilities in Belfast overall), the probably not, but from the video blogs, they seemed like they had a blast. Dana in most of them, was drunk and/or tired, indicating that all went well pre event. And given the attendance, general crowd reaction and a decent enough venue for it. I'd say it's more than likely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

JokerD wrote: »
    maybe we could split the rest with the UK? Heres hoping anyway:D

Wait a minute, you mean Ireland isn't already part of the UK?

I've been getting my geography lessons pretty-much exclusively from UFC commentators... Mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well it sold out in record time, great crowd and facilities plus easy access from both Ireland and fan's wishing to travel from Northern Ireland and the UK.

Plus I'd imagine the O2 sold more beer's last night than it will for another event this year, so I'd imagine they'd be anxious to have it back too.

Mairt wrote: »
    Well it sold out in record time, great crowd and facilities plus easy access from both Ireland and fan's wishing to travel from Northern Ireland and the UK.

Plus I'd imagine the O2 sold more beer's last night than it will for another event this year, so I'd imagine they'd be anxious to have it back too.

Read my previous post they were planning to come back before the event took place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

The Irish crowd was awesome.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    The Irish crowd was awesome.

Bit sad it didnt translate too much to television.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

rovert wrote: »

I was watching it on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Read somewhere during the week that they are looking to come back to Dublin sometime in early 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭hmmmmmm

Yeah, they will definitely be back. I do'nt think we will ever get a title fight, due to the loss of pay per view buys, but hopefully another solid card like we got last night.

It translated well at the event where the people who would be making the decison were, so that's far more important than what the average person sitting on their couch would have noticed on their TV. Dana looked taken aback by the volume of the crowd during Toms fight and during the Davis Lytle fight.

So I'd say it went down well from that point of view. MMAmania gave the O2 a ****ty write up though.

Link

It translated well at the event where the people who would be making the decison were, so that's far more important than what the average person sitting on their couch would have noticed on their TV. Dana looked taken aback by the volume of the crowd during Toms fight and during the Davis Lytle fight.

It meant more in the way audio was mixed or whatever for television with the crowd turned down a bit more than they should have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

my mates who were at home taught it sounded brillant, better than most booing US crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

So I'd say it went down well from that point of view. MMAmania gave the O2 a ****ty write up though.

At least MMAjunkie gave the crowd a great review:

While U.S. crowds typically trump the Dublin attendance figure by several thousand attendees, it would be hard to imagine a crowd more boisterous than that in attendance for Saturday's pay-per-view event

And also The UFC shared its intentions to return to Dublin in 2010, citing a possible St. Patrick's Day event according to a report by the Detroit Free Press

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

liger wrote: »

While U.S. crowds typically trump the Dublin attendance figure by several thousand attendees, it would be hard to imagine a crowd more boisterous than that in attendance for Saturday's pay-per-view event

And also The UFC shared its intentions to return to Dublin in 2010, citing a possible St. Patrick's Day event according to a report by the Detroit Free Press

Paddy's day would be brilliant. Davis fighting for the WW title

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hopefully Paddy's weekend rather than Paddy's day itself.

Could you imagine one being held on Paddy's day? It would be absolute chaos.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Hopefully Paddy's weekend rather than Paddy's day itself.

Could you imagine one being held on Paddy's day? It would be absolute chaos.

:D People would be pissed long before getting to the o2 if it was on St Patricks Day!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Bisping said at the Q+A that they are going to Germany some time this year

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

My mates were watchin it on the telly and i kept gettin txts all night sayin the atmosphere seemed absolutely amazin!!

I was reading earlier that the UFC are considering coming back paddys day weekend next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Wexler12 wrote: »
    Bisping said at the Q+A that they are going to Germany some time this year

June, UFC 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭roakey

if they are coming back in 2010, they would want to bring a decent card with them this time, id love to see shogun and liddell, and rampage and jardine. if they could give us them id be happy:D:D:D

• Advertisement

I know they are coming back but i think this Patricks day thing was a just thrown about at the moment .

Advertisement