Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC outage

Options
  • 18-01-2009 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭

In Sligo, on the 20 meg package.

It stopped working about 45 minutes ago, all the lights are green on the modem/router, my 2 laptops & PS3 are picking up the signal, my laptops can connect but it says it cannot find the server at any of the websites i go to.:mad:

I've restarted my laptop and modem many times but it isn't working. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

its fine here in limerick

did you check the cable at the back of the modem.

if you have phone with them can you make calls

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Don't have phone with them.

I checked the cable and everything else, all fine.

Im puzzled. Nobody was near the modem when it went down.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Yarnhall

Yep, went out last night for me too (Midlands), seems OK now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

went out here in galway but its fine now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Does this happen alot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

My connection went yesterday too (I'm in Dublin). It's often unreliable - connection drops regularly - but yesterday it was completely dead.

Rang UPC - they did some tests, said there was 'a fault on the line' and a technician would have to come out - and that the soonest that would be was next friday, which is pathetic.

In the evening I was able to connect, but it was painfully slow (dial-up speeds), and the connection dropped altogether every few minutes.

Not good enough really, for what is supposed to be a 10mb connection - I've had continuous problems with it since I got it 6 months ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Does this happen alot?

it has been happening me quite a bit too,
    connection was ****e yesterday. on 10 meg.. was only getting about 1 meg speed on speedtest

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Last few weeks speeds have been dire on 10meg im in South Dub too, Xbox Live has been lagging out and failing alot, at least its not just me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 pingpongz

10mb line in Cork has been terrible for the past week/week and a half i have complained several times and will be sending an official complaint in to their head office.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The-Game wrote: »
    Last few weeks speeds have been dire on 10meg im in South Dub too, Xbox Live has been lagging out and failing alot, at least its not just me!

Yea mother of god I'm on the same too 10 meg. southdub too. and xbox live has been rotten.
    like yourself lagging out, people not being able to hear me. but the downloads off rapid share would be reasonable.
    and sometimes i'd get disconnected out of xbl and not be able to connect, but websites would work fine.
    sent them a nasty email there two weeks today, got a reply the next day it would be passed on.. heard nothing since.
    just don't have the time ton ring them during work hours, and them then wanting me to turn the pc on off and do some stupid tests.

also ping, do you want to forward me a copy of your complaint and I'll send one too.

also the-game what modem do you have from the ntl lads?
    is it the blue one.. the 250 model?

• Advertisement

UPC are sending a technician/engineer/whatever-they-want-to-call-him out on friday, and I'd actually be very surprised if he manages to indentify or 'fix' the problems I've been having. Has any had a good experiance with one of these call-outs?

What does 'a fault on the line' actually mean?

Since I was talking to UPC support, my connection has come back, though it is intermittant and completely unreliable. Knowing my luck, it will be working vaguely reasonably when the guy calls on friday, and he'll declare that he's fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Lenny wrote: »
    Yea mother of god I'm on the same too 10 meg. southdub too. and xbox live has been rotten.
    like yourself lagging out, people not being able to hear me. but the downloads off rapid share would be reasonable.
    and sometimes i'd get disconnected out of xbl and not be able to connect, but websites would work fine.
    sent them a nasty email there two weeks today, got a reply the next day it would be passed on.. heard nothing since.
    just don't have the time ton ring them during work hours, and them then wanting me to turn the pc on off and do some stupid tests.

also ping, do you want to forward me a copy of your complaint and I'll send one too.

also the-game what modem do you have from the ntl lads?
    is it the blue one.. the 250 model?

Yeah ive the Blue 250 one here beside me, having the same as you with xbox suffering when websites are ok, then MSN signs off repeatedly and got no where with calling them, they just want you to restart and reset the modem then say either its ok at our end or ill forward this on.....

Useless, let me know how you get on with the complaint if you send it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Try rebooting your PC as well or your laptop. Then call UPC report the fault or they may know all ready and have a recorded message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah i have an 'Scientific Atlanta' modem from them - got it last June. But I'm also getting a call-out on Friday, so I wouldn't hold your breath for an improvement if they give you one the same as mine.

Maybe they're going to give me your blue one, and give you my black one....

Advertisement