Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Reserves.

• 18-01-2009 3:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭

When I was in 6th year, a couple of soldiers came in and told us about the Reserves, it looked fun. I was very interested. I could not join up then, due to my Leaving Cert/College.

But now I have plenty of time. It really does interest me, but I would like to hear from boardsies who joined. What exactly happens? What do you do? Is it fun? What are the physical challenges like? Is it worth it? Can you give me a story of the things you have done?

I am reasonably fit. Is there a certain fitness level? Medical exams? I have looked at the website, yes, but would like to know more.

And the payment..it doesn't bother me that much. I'm not doing this for money, but for a challenge. In a recession, I imagine paying the reserves isn't a high priority. Are they still looking for people to join?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

All I can say is join join join. Its the best thing you will ever do. The firends you make, the training, the weapons, the military life, its all a life experience no amount of money can buy. You wont regret it.

If you really enjoy it, its an easy transition to the PDF (Permanent defence Forces). If you find being in the RDF (Reserve Defence Forces) is enough for you, then thats fine too. You can have a job or do college and still partake in the RDF. Its the kind of thing you will still be talking about when you're an aul fella/wan;). Totally worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

If you really enjoy it, its an easy transition to the PDF (Permanent defence Forces).

No, it's really not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Maybe not at the moment with d freeze on recruitment in the PDF if thats what you mean, but lifestyle-wise, if you're used to RDF, then the PDF wont be such a kick in the @rse as if you just came in off the street.

Maybe not at the moment with d freeze on recruitment in the PDF if thats what you mean, but lifestyle-wise, if you're used to RDF, then the PDF wont be such a kick in the @rse as if you just came in off the street.

Yes it really would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

IvySlayer wrote: »
    When I was in 6th year, a couple of soldiers came in and told us about the Reserves, it looked fun. I was very interested. I could not join up then, due to my Leaving Cert/College.

But now I have plenty of time. It really does interest me, but I would like to hear from boardsies who joined. What exactly happens? What do you do? Is it fun? What are the physical challenges like? Is it worth it? Can you give me a story of the things you have done?

I am reasonably fit. Is there a certain fitness level? Medical exams? I have looked at the website, yes, but would like to know more.

And the payment..it doesn't bother me that much. I'm not doing this for money, but for a challenge. In a recession, I imagine paying the reserves isn't a high priority. Are they still looking for people to join?

Firsts year is training on the styer and foot drill.The 2nd year the GPMG.After that you apply for whats availible.

Great craic,you'll make some great friends.

Physical side of it depends on certian units afaik,on camp we did a few days running aswell as all the foot drill.

For Pot NCO courses yo have to do a fitness test afaik.

Definatly worth it,the first year isent the best but after that there are plenty of options to keep you happy,its just a matter of you applying for them and getting on the course.

You will do tactics on the ground,24 hr -72hr at a time.Great craic.

Obviously there is a huge difference between the RDF and PDF and it will show if you join both at sometime throughout your lifetime.as previously pointed out:D

Hope that helps:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Jim_No.6

I've been in 7 years, and love it. I'm really glad that I joined. Basically, if you're interested at all, head down to your local Barracks and take a look - they'll be happy to show you around. (hint: bring along the stuff you'll need to join, the entry process takes ages)

Take a look at 62infantry.com for much more information on what it's like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If your in Lucan you could go to the 62 Inf in Baldonnel, 65th Inf in McKee, 62 Arty in McKee or slightly further there is a wide variety of units such as Inf, Medics, MPs or Cav in Cathal Brugha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Poccington wrote: »
    Yes it really would.

What a ridiculous statement...maybe I'm reading it wrong (in that case my mistake, your fault)

So you mean to tell me that having a few years military experience (albeit part-time) will not ease your transition to adapting to the PDF.

Yeah I suppose your right, I mean when the RDF lads go on camp the way they get up early shave and prep uniform, march to brekkie, start lessons, stamp around the square. Get used to a disciplined routine and how to respect and recognise rank and then start on weapons training and get their marching sorted out.

This will be of NO benefit to them at all when they join the PDF....:confused:

HQ Coy in the 65th Mckee (tuesday nights I think) and A Coy 65th (thursday nights) Mckee, Swords & Gormanstown are currently recruiting but most units are stopping around february.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

All I can say is join join join. Its the best thing you will ever do. The firends you make, the training, the weapons, the military life, its all a life experience no amount of money can buy. You wont regret it.

This is all right, you get to do things civvies will never do and get a few bob for it aswell! As for transitioning to the PDF its not the same but it will definitly help you. I personally think that anyone joining with the right attitude will benifit a lot from the experience, just be prepared to work.

At the end of the day ( to use a football cliche) you get out of it what you put in. I personally have loved every minute of training I've done but it comes down to the individual involved.

E: Where are you from? if your in the midlands PM me and I can give you a number or put you in touch with someone to help you join up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

This is all right, you get to do things civvies will never do and get a few bob for it aswell! As for transitioning to the PDF its not the same but it will definitly help you. I personally think that anyone joining with the right attitude will benifit a lot from the experience, just be prepared to work.

At the end of the day ( to use a football cliche) you get out of it what you put in. I personally have loved every minute of training I've done but it comes down to the individual involved.

E: Where are you from? if your in the midlands PM me and I can give you a number or put you in touch with someone to help you join up.

I'm from Dublin, but thanks anyway.

And for the others I'm not interested in joining the Army. Just the reserves. You're little debate is going of topic a bit :P

What exactly do I need to do? Just ring 'em up? There's quite a few sub-units around Dublin. I wish someone from around Dublin could sit me down and talk to me about it. Since I do live in Dublin, the 2nd Eastern Reserve Brigade HQ is what I'm looking for to begin, then it breaks down into sub-units.

UPDATE: I enquired with Baldonnel, now I have to bring me birth cert, 2 passport photos and PPS number :)

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    What a ridiculous statement...maybe I'm reading it wrong (in that case my mistake, your fault)

So you mean to tell me that having a few years military experience (albeit part-time) will not ease your transition to adapting to the PDF.

Yeah I suppose your right, I mean when the RDF lads go on camp the way they get up early shave and prep uniform, march to brekkie, start lessons, stamp around the square. Get used to a disciplined routine and how to respect and recognise rank and then start on weapons training and get their marching sorted out.

This will be of NO benefit to them at all when they join the PDF....:confused:

HQ Coy in the 65th Mckee (tuesday nights I think) and A Coy 65th (thursday nights) Mckee, Swords & Gormanstown are currently recruiting but most units are stopping around february.

No, it won't be of any benefit to them. I trained with lads who went on with the "Oh I did this already in the Reserves blah blah blah" ****e and I can't think of any of them that passed out. It's of absollutely no benefit to them because they're going to learn it all over again, in much more depth while being thought by better, more experienced NCO's. It's not done the same as how it's done in the Reserve, simple as.

The 6-7 months training is conducted at a whole other level of intensity and pressure. If you think 2 weeks in the Glen is gonna prepare you for what the PDF has in store, you're off your head.

UPDATE: I enquired with Baldonnel, now I have to bring me birth cert, 2 passport photos and PPS number :)

I believe they do a bus pickup in Lucan if you need transport to and from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MadMadPhil

If ur in the reserves & then u transfer into the regulars it will give u an advantage. Yeah true u have to start back as a recruit & relearn all the information again but if u can march, understand orders & knw about the weapon systems u can focus better on improving ur skill set.
    Trust me it's a smoother transition cause i knw ppl who've done it & i'm in the defence forces..

MadMadPhil wrote: »
    If ur in the reserves & then u transfer into the regulars it will give u an advantage. Yeah true u have to start back as a recruit & relearn all the information again but if u can march, understand orders & knw about the weapon systems u can focus better on improving ur skill set.
    Trust me it's a smoother transition cause i knw ppl who've done it & i'm in the defence forces..

Speaking from a personal viewpoint, I HAVE made that transition and I wasn't at an advantage to anyone else.

Knowing how to march and understand the orders in Irish doesn't put you at an advantage at all, you still learn them all over again right from the start with the rest of the lads. Do you think if you start doing the about turn on your first day you'll impress the Training Staff? No, you really won't so knowing how to march isn't an advantage at all. Any attempt to do more than you're shown would result in you getting bounced off. As for the weapons, the level of instruction is completely different so your RDF knowledge goes out the window.

Trust me it's not a smoother transition cause I have done it and I'm in the DF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I can honestly say it took me ages to learn to march in the RDF. Even after a 2 week camp I was terrible. If I were to join the PDF, I know I would have to learn the footdrill all over again, but I would not have to learn the actually act of marching, and for me, that would be a major benefit. I could concentrate on other things, and not have to worry about such an embarassing thing as not being able to march.

Thats said, in every unit you will get the guy who says

"I know ALL about map reading because I was in the scouts"
    Or
    "I will be a deadly shot because I have been shooting since I was five"
    Or
    "I'll be a natural at driving a tank coz I have played Tank Commander on the Xbox"

People like that are muppets plain and simple. They then learn the army way of doing things(or get kicked out for insisting on doing it their way) and realise they were acting like a muppet.

To the OP, good luck with it.

syklops wrote: »
    I can honestly say it took me ages to learn to march in the RDF. Even after a 2 week camp I was terrible. If I were to join the PDF, I know I would have to learn the footdrill all over again, but I would not have to learn the actually act of marching, and for me, that would be a major benefit. I could concentrate on other things, and not have to worry about such an embarassing thing as not being able to march.

Concentrate on other things like what?

Like re-learning all the other things I would have to learn.

I know plenty of RDF who went to the PDF and they would all have their own 2c on what advantage or not it had for them (and a few who are back in the RDF). In reality its down to the individual. If you go in the door with experience then more is expected of you from day one then a raw recruit. Its not going to be easy either way.

In my own experience people with a some experience can be very complacent and think they have nothing to learn and can be quickly shown up by somone with no experience who is eager to learn.

Rew wrote: »

In my own experience people with a some experience can be very complacent and think they have nothing to learn and can be quickly shown up by somone with no experience who is eager to learn.

Thats what I was trying to say.

Like re-learning all the other things I would have to learn.

So in other words you'd be trying to re-tech yourself stuff that you were thought in the Reserves to get ahead of the other lads?

Where would you get this extra time to learn might I ask? Would you just ask the NCO, "Sorry Cpl, I already know all this so can I head back to the lines and have a look at my notes from the RDF, I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game, nice one Cpl."

I'll let you in on a secret, you'll be running scarce for time anyway during training and you'll most certainly be doing everything with your platoon. As for trying to jump ahead on the syllabus, things are done differently and thought differently in the PDF than in the RDF so you'd be just bringing heat on yourself. Anyway nobody likes a me feiner, in particular NCO's have a dislike for them ;)

• Advertisement

Again with the talking through the posterior.

Oh yeah, of course you'll get some heat seeker that thinks because he spent 6months in the bags that he knows better than everyone else. This heat seeker will draw unwanted attention from the training staff from day one, be bounced around the place and the rest of his platoon will hate him or black ball/code red the dopey muppet as a result.

Sure he might of picked up bad habits (still turning to the right when he falls out etc.). But the point is, that any experience is better than no experience.

The smart lad who did his time as a weekend warrior will keep his mouth shut, not offer any advice unless asked and not attract attention by trying to jump ahead or go off syllabus.

I really cannot see the logic in believing that having prior knowledge and experience can put you at a disadvantage.....the only disadvantage from it is how it this experience is used.

Be the grey man and draw from your previous experience when necessary or else shut the F**k up and keep your head down.

And in my personal experience I know an abundance of lads that used their experience to get the most from their recruit training (1 currently in the Legion, 1 away with the Yanks in Afghanistan, 2 on their way to Sandhurst and 4 in the PDF). All of these got ahead due to the fact that they used the minimum basic skills learnt in the RDF. Then coupled this with their superior professional knowledge of their recruit instructors and it made their transition a hell of a lot smoother.

(well except the lad in the legion as no amount of experience can prepare you for that shi*t!!!).

So in other words you'd be trying to re-tech yourself stuff that you were thought in the Reserves to get ahead of the other lads?

Where would you get this extra time to learn might I ask? Would you just ask the NCO, "Sorry Cpl, I already know all this so can I head back to the lines and have a look at my notes from the RDF, I'm just trying to stay ahead of the game, nice one Cpl."

I'll let you in on a secret, you'll be running scarce for time anyway during training and you'll most certainly be doing everything with your platoon. As for trying to jump ahead on the syllabus, things are done differently and thought differently in the PDF than in the RDF so you'd be just bringing heat on yourself. Anyway nobody likes a me feiner, in particular NCO's have a dislike for them ;)

Now you are just reading whatever you want out of it.

When you join the PDF, coming from the RDF, you have to pretty much re-learn everything you have been taught in the RDF. You said that yourself. We both agree on that.

I said if I knew how to march I could concentrate on re-learning the stuff the PDF's way.

muppet.

Now you are just reading whatever you want out of it.

When you join the PDF, coming from the RDF, you have to pretty much re-learn everything you have been taught in the RDF. You said that yourself. We both agree on that.

I said if I knew how to march I could concentrate on re-learning the stuff the PDF's way.

muppet.

Well if you know how to march prior to joing the PDF, you're still going to be learning how to march again before going onto the more fun stuff. Ya see there's this little thing called a Training Syllabus that the Training Staff work off, marching tends to be at the start of it.

As for the name calling, my apologies if I hurt your feelings by talking from experience. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again ;)

Again with the talking through the posterior.

Oh yeah, of course you'll get some heat seeker that thinks because he spent 6months in the bags that he knows better than everyone else. This heat seeker will draw unwanted attention from the training staff from day one, be bounced around the place and the rest of his platoon will hate him or black ball/code red the dopey muppet as a result.

Sure he might of picked up bad habits (still turning to the right when he falls out etc.). But the point is, that any experience is better than no experience.

The smart lad who did his time as a weekend warrior will keep his mouth shut, not offer any advice unless asked and not attract attention by trying to jump ahead or go off syllabus.

I really cannot see the logic in believing that having prior knowledge and experience can put you at a disadvantage.....the only disadvantage from it is how it this experience is used.

Be the grey man and draw from your previous experience when necessary or else shut the F**k up and keep your head down.

And in my personal experience I know an abundance of lads that used their experience to get the most from their recruit training (1 currently in the Legion, 1 away with the Yanks in Afghanistan, 2 on their way to Sandhurst and 4 in the PDF). All of these got ahead due to the fact that they used the minimum basic skills learnt in the RDF. Then coupled this with their superior professional knowledge of their recruit instructors and it made their transition a hell of a lot smoother.

(well except the lad in the legion as no amount of experience can prepare you for that shi*t!!!).

I never said it was a disadvantage? I merely said it didn't put you in a better position to come across as any other lad that's in your Recruit Platoon?

I'd better take the advice of our learned comrade and not teach my children to read and wait for a teacher to instruct them properly, as sure with me not being a full time instructor there is no benefit them learning the basics before they go into it full time is there?

This thread is becoming ridiculous, I do enjoy a good debate but my god, gonna have to take a step back from this one....I refuse to humour ignorance and stupidity. So carry on son, you believe what ya like.

I'd better take the advice of our learned comrade and not teach my children to read and wait for a teacher to instruct them properly, as sure with me not being a full time instructor there is no benefit them learning the basics before they go into it full time is there?

This thread is becoming ridiculous, I do enjoy a good debate but my god, gonna have to take a step back from this one....I refuse to humour ignorance and stupidity. So carry on son, you believe what ya like.

Ignorance and stupidity?

Considering I spent the guts of 2 years in the RDF before joining the PDF I'm a lot more qualified to speak on the subject than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

I know a lot of lads & lassies over the years who went PDF. Not one of them found being in the FCA / RDF of a benifit. Many found it a hindrance, as the instructors would dance on any ex-bagger if he dared even speak about his experience. As someone said earlier, no instructor will allow themselves to be undermined by anyone who thinks he's a smartarse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

So logic would dictate that you STFU when you go into the PDF after being in the RDF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭steyr fan

correct & right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Maybe the only benifit being in the RDF regarding the PDF is in the interveiw??

Only wondering mind you,surely someone who was in the rdf will have an advantage over someone who was not regarding the interview process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I would imagine being in the reserves is a help because you will find out whether you can take orders, do you enjoy the discipline, and will have a less romanticized view of military life. Like all the people who drop out of law/medicine in college when they realise how much work is involved and that it's not all ally mcbeal/ER. You can have a taste of military life without taking up a place in the PDF that you might give up, meaning somebody else lost out on a place for nothing.
    Plus the original poster doesn't want to join the PDF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This thread is going way off topic. Can we please address the questions raised in the op? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Not sure if it's been said or the question has been raised, I haven't looked because most of this thread is just full of bickering but as raised before the lads came to the school talking about joing, was out myself so couldn't ask anything, but if you were to join now would their be any major conflict with the leaving cert?

I heard that if you don't join before the end of feb you'd have to wait till augest.

Was planning to join this summer, but don't want to wait till the end, so may as well join before.

Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Hopefully there still recruiting by then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 owlite700

I called into my local barracks to join the reserves on wednesday night.Met a very helpful couple of soldiers who put me in contact with the guy in charge of recruitment.He told me that there was a blanket ban on recruitment for the forseeable future due to finance cuts.
    I was escorted to the gate with two other disappointed lads by a soldier who advised us to go and join the T.A.(territorial army).......I was confused I said are they not the english army reserves?? and he replied yeah Im thinking of joining the irish guards myself.....Im still confused .morale in our army must be very poor. i wont be taking his advice thats for sure
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

owlite700 wrote: »
    I called into my local barracks to join the reserves on wednesday night.Met a very helpful couple of soldiers who put me in contact with the guy in charge of recruitment.He told me that there was a blanket ban on recruitment for the forseeable future due to finance cuts.
    I was escorted to the gate with two other disappointed lads by a soldier who advised us to go and join the T.A.(territorial army).......I was confused I said are they not the english army reserves?? and he replied yeah Im thinking of joining the irish guards myself.....Im still confused .morale in our army must be very poor. i wont be taking his advice thats for sure

Which barracks, mate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Most barracks say that now because by the time you are in and all you wouldnt be ready for the summer break and camp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Yeah the last recruitment is january to mid february, anything after that and u wont get ur clearance back in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

In fairness now, if I'd went to queens instead of UCD I'd definitely have joined the OUTC (University based Territorial Army).

The setup of the UK's armed forces and the Irish Defence Forces are very different. Ours are a fraction of the size of theirs and as a result promotions are going to be slower and opportunities to transfer around and experience different roles more limited. The political doctrine behind the use of each force is very different as well. The UK's forces are geared around expeditionary warfare - that is going in alone and smashing things up in limited numbers, or as part of a larger US led or NATO force. As such they have paratroops, fully mechanised infantry units, main battle tanks, helicopter borne infantry etc.

The Defence forces on the other hand are geared towards internal security within Ireland (dealing with paramilitaries of all descriptions) and peace support and enforcement operations within a UN context, participation in the new EU battlegroups which are about plugging the gap whilst the UN wrangles with setting up a force, and are equipped appropriately for such missions. They lack many of the things that the UK armed forces have, due factors such as budget, approved numbers and also the governments definition of what the role of the defence forces are.

The life you'd live in both would be very different. Apart from the obvious such as combat operations in Afghanistan, the average British unit moves around a fair bit every number of years, relocating from one part of the country to another, or even outside it to places like germany. Within Irish Defence forces, chances of moving and uprooting family etc are much lower unless your barracks is closed or a new white paper comes out (and thats every 10 years or so).

In short my friend, different strokes for different folks. Perhaps the chap at the gate fancied a bit of what the brits are doing at the moment. Its not for everyone, but as things stand he's little chance of getting that in his current uniform.

it was Aiken barracks in dundalk co.Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    Yeah the last recruitment is january to mid february, anything after that and u wont get ur clearance back in time.

First off, i know its a bit early to be posting and asking questions,but im going to join the RDF next year (mid March 2010) with my cousin.:D

First question, (the complicated one) My cousin will be 17 this summer(2009) and i will be 17 in mid march(2010).what i want to know, is,can i get the garda clearance and fitness test (etc.) under my belt before i turn 17,and then go into the parade nights when im 17. So can i get the entrance things done, or some of them at the age of 16.:confused:

(I heard about something like this somewhere) If i can do this, could you tell when to do them, because its 1 year down the line and i would like to know what month to do it to fasten up the process.(etc.):D

The reason i want to know, is because my cousin is eager to join because he wants to go on and join the PDF. And if i cant fasten up the process id let him join himself.But is there anyway that if he did join himself, could we be in the same platoon? thingy.(just wondering)

I hope ye can get ye'r heads around the Q its kinda hard to write out, for me anyways.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Griffen262 wrote: »
    First off, i know its a bit early to be posting and asking questions,but im going to join the RDF next year (mid March 2010) with my cousin.:D

First question, (the complicated one) My cousin will be 17 this summer(2009) and i will be 17 in mid march(2010).what i want to know, is,can i get the garda clearance and fitness test (etc.) under my belt before i turn 17,and then go into the parade nights when im 17. So can i get the entrance things done, or some of them at the age of 16.:confused:

(I heard about something like this somewhere) If i can do this, could you tell when to do them, because its 1 year down the line and i would like to know what month to do it to fasten up the process.(etc.):D

The reason i want to know, is because my cousin is eager to join because he wants to go on and join the PDF. And if i cant fasten up the process id let him join himself.But is there anyway that if he did join himself, could we be in the same platoon? thingy.(just wondering)

I hope ye can get ye'r heads around the Q its kinda hard to write out, for me anyways.:D

This might be of some help - http://www.62infantry.com/FAQ.shtml#Under_Age

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ArmyBarmy

Reply To--- When I was in 6th year, a couple of soldiers came in and told us about the Reserves, it looked fun. I was very interested. I could not join up then, due to my Leaving Cert/College.
    I was in the PDF but for a short time and still done some training, now i'm in the RDF and i can say that the only difference is the the PDF is 24/7 and the Rdf is one nite a week and some weeks and weekends away (in sayin that if something major happened RDF could be called on at anytime). The strictness between the ranks is the same and if you do something out of line you'll be beasted the same way. If you join the RDF or already have the people you train with will be some of the best you've ever met and they'll be like a second family, everyone lookin out for each other not just during training but on nites out aswell

ArmyBarmy wrote: »
    I was in the PDF but for a short time and still done some training, now i'm in the RDF and i can say that the only difference is the the PDF is 24/7 and the Rdf is one nite a week and some weeks and weekends away (in sayin that if something major happened RDF could be called on at anytime). The strictness between the ranks is the same and if you do something out of line you'll be beasted the same way.

Not trying to sound like a dickhead or anything but no it really isn't the same, especially the strictness and beastings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ArmyBarmy

It prob just my NCO's but i find it the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Not trying to sound like a dickhead or anything but no it really isn't the same, especially the strictness and beastings.

Your right its not the same. I only ever experienced PDF standard training for a two week period and it was a significant departure from the norm.

Looks like the recruitment has started again for the reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Looks like the recruitment has started again for the reserves.

Not exactly, it's more complicated than recruitment simply starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭ak51535

well, whats exactly happening with the recruitment? because i was told that it was stopped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

ak51535 wrote: »
    well, whats exactly happening with the recruitment? because i was told that it was stopped?

As I said it's complicated, and the Document that was quoted on another thread likely said restricted at the top so people can't really go into too many details.

Basically, RDF will be allowed recruit but only up to established numbers. I can't go into anymore details for fear of Mairt and Pocc's wrath.:D:D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement