Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahon Point Cinema: Rip Off

Options
  • 18-01-2009 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so last night I went along to that 3D horror film (My Bloody Valentine), mainly for the whole 3D thing... I already know that food & drink is ridiculously expensive in Mahon Point (which is why I head to Tescos like everyone else before the film) but they charged an extra euro for "glasses hire". I mean, crappy plastic glasses for a euro? They probably didn't even cost the cinema that each... And they get it every time someone goes to see the film...

Rip-off Ireland is still at work... :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

I live in ballincollig and go to the reel picture cinema usually every monday with the gf. Every monday its 2 for €10 which is very good in my opinion. I dont know if any other cinemas do that. I only buy medium popcorn these days as everything I would want would cost about €10. Its like €3 for medium popcorn....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

what if you brought your own 3d glasses could you duck the fee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

DrMorphine wrote: »
    I live in ballincollig and go to the reel picture cinema usually every monday with the gf. Every monday its 2 for €10 which is very good in my opinion. I dont know if any other cinemas do that. I only buy medium popcorn these days as everything I would want would cost about €10. Its like €3 for medium popcorn....

that does seem to be a decent offer, at least they are making an effort.
    Yep, Mahon Point cinema is a huge rip-off, I am lucky enough to be in a sports & social club in work and we get our cinema tickets at a subsidised rate by the club, I'm often tempted to stand outside the cinema and sell the vouchers at the rate I buy them at just to save some people a few quid but then I see them all happily paying crazy money for popcorn etc and I leave them off!

Surely their main money maker is the refreshments and not the cinema tickets??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I go to the Cinema around 2 or 3 times a week, and while it is a rip-off, it is comfortable, warm and clean, and I always get my food in tesco's first!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I am lucky enough to be in a sports & social club in work and we get our cinema tickets at a subsidised rate by the club, I'm often tempted to stand outside the cinema and sell the vouchers at the rate I buy them at just to save some people a few quid but then I see them all happily paying crazy money for popcorn etc and I leave them off!

The rate you buy is probably subsidised by the company S&S not Omniplex cinemas. So if you were to sell these vouchers outside you would only be srcewing other S&S members or the company you work for. Sorry for being pedantic, just thought I'd mention it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

screwing the company you work for might be a bad idea with Recession Stephen around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It was a euro get over it. :D

The Omniplex would be my favoured cinema spot, I know it's more expensive than the others but the seats are more comfortable and I've never had any hassle with the projection, sound or "undesirables" in there that I've had in the other cinemas.

No I don't work there!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its always packed compared to other cinemas, must always get there in plenty of time to get decent seats. Try Blackpool or Mallow (dead comfy) and cinema has only 10-20 in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

The kids club on a Sat and Sun is a good deal - only €3 each adults and kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

dulpit wrote: »
    Hey, so last night I went along to that 3D horror film (My Bloody Valentine), mainly for the whole 3D thing... I already know that food & drink is ridiculously expensive in Mahon Point (which is why I head to Tescos like everyone else before the film) but they charged an extra euro for "glasses hire". I mean, crappy plastic glasses for a euro? They probably didn't even cost the cinema that each... And they get it every time someone goes to see the film...

Rip-off Ireland is still at work... :mad:

it is a business, if people are willing to pay €1 then the cinema will charge €1

if i went to a 3D movie i'd be expecting to pay for 3D glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

The rate you buy is probably subsidised by the company S&S not Omniplex cinemas. So if you were to sell these vouchers outside you would only be srcewing other S&S members or the company you work for. Sorry for being pedantic, just thought I'd mention it.

yes, I know the sport & social club subsidise the vouchers (I was on committee at some stage), and yes your other point is also valid, and yes, you are being a tad pedantic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭dMaN24

Interesting. They charged you for the glasses?
    I wen't to see Journey to the centre of the earth 3d at gate Cinema, and i don't recall being charged for the glasses. And i got to keep them aswell. :D

But still, i would clearly accept 1€. It's not THAT much anyway. If the movie was worth watching that is.

I went to see fly me to the moon in mahon point - it is also a 3d film - there was no charge for the glasses then. You had to give them back at the end. Maybe they were having problems with people taking them. The film was briliant btw.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

All the scobes were nobbing the glasses and the 1 euro is a there so that they can replace the ones that are robbed each time...

Dude have you had the nachos with 'cheese' in the omniplex? It's the worst sh!t I've ever tasted. Tht cannot have ever been related to cheese what ever it was.

I grab a big mac, Chilli chips and kfc spicy chicken wrap and bring them in. They sure smell up the gaff but at that price I'll do what I want ;)

Bill-e wrote: »
    I grab a big mac, Chilli chips and kfc spicy chicken wrap and bring them in. They sure smell up the gaff but at that price I'll do what I want ;)
    You would be a lovely one to be sitting near :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

used to always go to Mahon, but Midleton is my cinema of choice now, much comfier cinema, loads of space to sprawl out & €1.50 per person cheaper than Mahon...& all their snacks are much cheaper..... jubbly

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I completely forgot about the Real Cinema in Blackpool. :D

Myself and the other half used to go to there of a Monday night.

10e for the two of us which is really good value and we were never big into the whole popcorn, drinks and candy floss anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I have seen movies in (nearly) every cinema in Crk suburbs and city! TBH Mahon point is far better than them all. Specifically for the sound quality! Watched cloverfield in Mahon and the Gate and there was no competition...The gate sounded as if it had one speaker at the front of the cinema! Mahon just sounded AMAZING!!!

Iv noticed this more and more with cinemas that the sound is just not as good as mahon point and good sound quality is something im willing to pay that extra bit for... Feck the food ill go to tesco for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Hogzy wrote: »
    I have seen movies in (nearly) every cinema in Crk suburbs and city! TBH Mahon point is far better than them all. Specifically for the sound quality! Watched cloverfield in Mahon and the Gate and there was no competition...The gate sounded as if it had one speaker at the front of the cinema! Mahon just sounded AMAZING!!!

Iv noticed this more and more with cinemas that the sound is just not as good as mahon point and good sound quality is something im willing to pay that extra bit for... Feck the food ill go to tesco for that!

You watched Cloverfield twice.. What a load of up it's own arse ****e!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Bill-e wrote: »
    All the scobes were nobbing the glasses and the 1 euro is a there so that they can replace the ones that are robbed each time...

Dude have you had the nachos with 'cheese' in the omniplex? It's the worst sh!t I've ever tasted. Tht cannot have ever been related to cheese what ever it was.

lol I think you were sitting in front of me last night. :D

Advertisement