Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow for the far north tonight possibly (low probability)

Options
  • 18-01-2009 4:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

All at risk of some falls which could cause disruption to transport Monday morning. The Southern Half of the country may get away with it with just backedge snow during Monday. Higher routes are certain to see significant falls. Significant falls in many northern areas are very likely between 00:00hrs Monday and 06:00 Monday.

EDIT: Best change this post to suit the risk. Ulster, Connaught and North Leinster most likely to see some snow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Currently snowing throughout Fermanagh at the moment, short showers of snow, lying where the ground is frozen from the cold over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

think will be taking the jeep tomorrow to work so

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mmm, might travel this evening instead, thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

With regards to tonights snowfall.

It looks like it will be a snow to sleet to snow event for many.

Areas most at risk Connacht, Ulster, the Midlands and North Leinster.

Going to be wild though, with very heavy precipitation and strong winds.

Corker of a fax

fax24s.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes brilliant fax looks like the low is not developing like gfs thinks.
    We remain in the colder slot for most of the ppn esp further north
    I would very much include the snow risk for the south matty esp as the cold digs in again later tonight. I would say we are looking at a lot of snow between now and Wed morning though too mild for most this evening

Yes brilliant fax looks like the low is not developing like gfs thinks.
    We remain in the colder slot for most of the ppn esp further north
    I would very much include the snow risk for the south matty esp as the cold digs in again later tonight. I would say we are looking at a lot of snow between now and Wed morning though too mild for most this evening

Yes the south are certainly at risk when the cold moves in again, as much as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

all rain showers in north cork at the moment..when do you expect the cold to kick in again to affect the south? tonight or tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

all rain showers in north cork at the moment..when do you expect the cold to kick in again to affect the south? tonight or tomorrow?

tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

darkman2 wrote: »
    Areas

Derry
    Down
    Armagh
    Monaghan
    Meath
    WestMeath
    Dublin
    Wicklow
    Galway
    Donegal
    Mayo
    Antrim
    Armagh
    Louth
    Tyrone
    Fermanagh
    Longford
    Tipperary
    Offaly
    Kildare
    North Waterford

All at risk of significant falls which could cause disruption to transport Monday morning. The Southern Half of the country may get away with it with just backedge snow during Monday. Higher routes are certain to see significant falls. Significant falls in many areas are very likely between 00:00hrs Monday and 06:00 Monday.
    This is the latest from Met Eireann.

Today
    Frost in many areas at first this morning, with some icy roads. Very cold and windy today with heavy showers of rain, hail and snow, and scattered thunderstorms. Winds will gust to around 100 km/h at times, with highest temperatures of only 3 C to 6 C.
    Tonight

Staying very cold and windy tonight, with rain, sleet and snow becoming more widespread. Wintry showers will follow later, with further thunderstorms. Frost in many areas overnight also, and some icy roads. Lowest temperatures of minus 1 C to 3 C.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Continuing very cold and windy on Monday, with showers of hail, sleet and snow, many heavy and possibly thundery. Highest temperatures of 3 C to 6 C, with strong and gusty southwest to west winds.

3 Day Outlook

The rest of the week will remain cold, although temperatures may rise slightly after midweek. There will be long clear periods throughout Monday night but with severe frost and icy roads likely as well. On Tuesday highest daytime temperatures will still only be around 5 or 6C and westerly winds will continue to blow a lot of showers in off the cold Atlantic. The showers will be more frequent over the west, north and southwest of the country at times almost continuous. However the eastern side of Ireland will not be as badly affected by them, and the day will be drier and brighter here. But in the low temperatures, the showers will continue to be wintry with snow on the higher ground and at times too lower down. The showers will largely die out on Wednesday and the day shoueld be dry, although it will still be a cold day. Heavy rain moves up across the country during Thursday morning and it will be wet everywhere. At this stage it looks like we might get some relief from the rain and showers towards next weekend but temperatures will continue to be low and the nights will be frosty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Areas
    Donegal
    Mayo
    Fermanagh

Any particular reason why Sligo/Leitrim is not on this list when the neighbouring counties are?

And if there is a particular reason, could you possibly explain what brought you to that conclusion?

Not criticising, just curious ....

raining here now. i'm not condifent of widespread heavy snowfall at lower levels tonight because there is a southerly airmass ahead of the front so warmer air is advected in even though it is returning polar maritime air from the northern Atlantic. so i think snow will be restricted to higher levels until the cold air kicks in at the back end of the front.

Just to indicate why showers may be turning more sleety in nature in places.

There is a warmer slice of air crossing the country atm. colder air back in towards evening and then moves north towards 1am and then colder air back again from 7am tomorrow.

UW12-7.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Rain here too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Metcheck showing "Heavy Snow" for Waterford for 3am-6am period...

:pac: Now that would be nice....

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It's becoming increasingly clear now that the low pressure tonight will be much further south and east keeping virtually the whole country in colder air throughout. The beeb's weatherview showed widespread white over Ireland
    Expect the warnings to come thick and fast this evening for the country's most severe and widespread event in many years. I would expect chaos on the roads by the morning;)

It's becoming increasingly clear now that the low pressure tonight will be much further south and east keeping virtually the whole country in colder air throughout. The beeb's weatherview showed widespread white over Ireland
    Expect the warnings to come thick and fast this evening for the country's most severe and widespread event in many years. I would expect chaos on the roads by the morning;)

You certainly are alot more confident than me:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

peasant wrote: »
    Not criticising, just curious ....

I forgot:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I forgot:p

everybody forgets Leitrim ...but Sligo? ...hmmpf ...

:D

Irish Met playing it safe.
    Staying very cold tonight winds easing off somewhat. Rain, sleet and snow will extend eastwards, turning heavy in places. Some accumulations of snow are likely, mainly across the north and over higher ground. Frost and icy stretches later too. Lowest temperatures of minus1 to plus 3 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Metcheck showing "Heavy Snow" for Waterford for 3am-6am period...

:pac: Now that would be nice....

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=waterford

They have also issued a watch & warning for all Ireland

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Irish Met playing it safe.

yes it doesn't seem to share januarysnowstor's optimism..you would think they would err on the side of caution if they believed such a risk was likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cheers for the heads up. Since that my mode of transport is a motor bike I think I head off this evening, rather than wait for the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

so what are the chances of getting snow in limerick, tonight, tommorrow, or tuesday

DominoDub wrote: »
    They have also issued a watch & warning for all Ireland

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

Can we please stop linking to this site :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just had a shower of rain here, im not so confident of seeing proper snow tonight, I feel we will have a mixture of rain and sleet and maybe some wet snow on the backedge with very little if anything sticking. I think the main areas of risk of seeing some proper sticking snow conditions from tonights front will be those living in highground locations and some inland areas in the North. The majority of England & Wales also looks set to only get rain and sleet with the main snowy conditions reserved for parts of Northern England and Scotland. But I think this could very marginal whatever the outcome, if were lucky we could see more widespread snow nationwide than what is expected but I wouldnt be beting on Dublin City Centre to be grinding to a halt tomorrow morning due to deep snow.

* metcheck if they can ever be believed are now forecasting a band of rain turning to sleet before it clears for Meath tonight and rain all the way for Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

Edenderry, offaly

sleet to rain here in showers atm. Snowed enough to build a frosty at 11ish last nite (which we did). :D Still on the ground on the fields etc.

i still think snow will be confined to higher ground until the front begins to clear.
    however you were right about the last period of snow we got. so hopefully you're right again about what will happen tonight:)

i still think snow will be confined to higher ground until the front begins to clear.
    however you were right about the last period of snow we got. so hopefully you're right again about what will happen tonight:)

the bbc do seem to be showing a lot of white in their forecast and i always think they are very reliable. However won't believe widespread snow until it happens given all the previous predictions which haven't worked out as planned. Still at least this 'snow' event is very close as opposed to 3-5 days away.

• Advertisement

the bbc do seem to be showing a lot of white in their forecast and i always think they are very reliable. However won't believe widespread snow until it happens given all the previous predictions which haven't worked out as planned. Still at least this 'snow' event is very close as opposed to 3-5 days away.

yeah you're right there. the bbc forecast tends to be more reliable than met eireann.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement