Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ bus tours: Magic or Stray

Options
  • 18-01-2009 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi

I am arriving in Auckland and will be touring NZ, I was thinking of booking onto a bus tour. Is there any difference between Magic and Stray? I don't want to be on a bus with a very young crowd so I was not going to use kiwi Experience. Has anybody had anu bad experiences with magic or Stray?

hertz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Hi Hertz,

Was on the Magic bus for the whole of November.

Pros - they do take you to all the main towns and stop at some interesting sights along the way. Are loads of other loan travellers to meet and chat too on the way. Drivers nice and very helpfull esp Dusty

Cons - A 4 hr bus journey takes 8hrs as they stop for breaks way to much and end up stopping for 30-45mins each stop. Some stops dont have alot to offer but have no choice.

Plan your trip carefully as some stops they only arrive after 5pm and all activities are closed and you will be leaving at 8am the next day.

Dont book too early as magic do discount deals all the time. upto 50% off

Cant speak for stray other than ive heard its more off the beaten track and the buses we saw seemed to be smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Rent a car if you can...you'll see way more at your own pace that way. If not then my g/f has done some time on the stray busses and said it was fine, a bit more personal then the magic bus and as above they use smaller coaches so possibly go more off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Mst

I was on Magic bus for the North Island. It was fine. Probably as good as any tourist bus will get. The driver was amusing and told us stories and facts that you wouldn't get just driving around on your own. There was some annoying people on the bus a few days but that's to be expected I guess.
    Agree with the first poster you need to spend more than 1 night in most places to see or do anything because the bus arrives late in the afternoon. It was annoying sometimes cos you didn't get to spend enough time at some stops and too long at others. But all the buses are the same on that front probably. We`re gonna drive the South Island for a bit more freedom. If we didn't drive we`d probably do the magic bus again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

thanks for the info on Magic guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 julii

have you booked a magic tour? have the same "problem" right now...be not sure to travel on my own or follow a tour. just have 3,5 weeks to see NZ ...mmmh

• Advertisement
Advertisement