Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving Instructers

Options
  • 18-01-2009 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭

any one reccomend a good one in sligo town, and any of them offer a discount if you buy a block of lessons, ie percetage off if you pay for 10 together

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sydney Taylor is a good instructor and a gentleman as well(071)9165425). Sam Kells is very good and a nice guy(087)6777788). Many people swear by Gallaghers (Sligo School of Motoring(071)9161255) and Gay Devaney scares people into passing(:D), but she's very good.
    I've only had four lessons and that was a good few years back. I went to Sydney Taylor for two before my test and passed first time. I went to A.N. Other (my mother taught me that if I can't say something nice....except about politicians). I had two before my parents would let me loose on the road with a provisional. He was strange, made me twitchy and didn't help me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I assume those phone numbers are available through their advertisements, il gatto?

Because otherwise I'll have to ask you to edit them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Three of them I got in the Golden pages and the other one I had scribbled down somewhere. I'll edit that one out (just in case). Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

il gatto wrote: »
    Three of them I got in the Golden pages and the other one I had scribbled down somewhere. I'll edit that one out (just in case). Sorry.

No worries :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cannot recommend Patsy or Joseph Gallagher enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

basquille wrote: »
    Cannot recommend Patsy or Joseph Gallagher enough!

i've heard only good things about the aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I'd recommend Michal Conlon school of motoring (CSM) Funny that abbreviation isn't it Stewie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I'll add to the acclaim of Patsy and Joseph Gallagher as well, I'll pm you Joseph's number.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sandrease

I highly recommend John Ryan. He is the best!
    He has a ''black'' sense of humor but if you don't have sensitive temper, choose him. Google him up for telephone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Anyone any up to date info on this. Looking to get a block of lessons for a complete beginner. What are prices like per lesson?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I went to Sidney Taylor, as did a lot of people I know. Couldn't recommend him enough (and I did go to a couple of other local instructors before starting with him.) He's a genuinely lovely sound guy, great at explaining things (I was absolutely starting from scratch), and he's great at just putting you at ease and making the whole experience pretty enjoyable. Oh and he nearly always had sweets in the car! :D

It's been a couple of years since my test though, not fully sure if he's still doing the driving lessons or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

il gatto wrote: »
    ....Sam Kells is very good and a nice guy(087)6777788).

Sam Kells is excellent, his standard is way higher than the test. If Sam thinks you're ready - you will be ready, just watch the nerves. An absolute gent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

I'd defo recommend Ronan Donnelly, 3 lessons and I passed my test first time. I am pretty awesome though!!!

PM me for his number. It's a while since I got lessons so I'm not sure what he is charging but he was always a bit cheaper than the going rate.

I recommended him to 3 friends and they all passed first time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

Sam Kells is excellent, his standard is way higher than the test. If Sam thinks you're ready - you will be ready, just watch the nerves. An absolute gent also.

+1 Can't say enough good things about Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Sandrease wrote: »
    I highly recommend John Ryan. He is the best!
    He has a ''black'' sense of humor but if you don't have sensitive temper, choose him. Google him up for telephone number.

Are you thinking of Tom Ryan? If so then I agree very good instructor, knows his stuff but not for the faint hearted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Me. my OH and most of my friends (all through word of mouth) got lessons from Patsy Gallagher and all passed first time. He is brill, doing lessons years and years. his son also does lessons now and while I haven't had a lesson from him, I've heard he is very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

Just in case anyone else is looking at this, Sam Kells is no longer doing lessons. I rang to book with him. He recommended Martin Cunningham to me and I also had gotten his name else where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 b69

I got lessons from Martin Cunningham and passed first time along with two others i work with. He even brought me for a coffee after i passed:).
    I couldn't recommend him enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 laney22

Martin Cunningham is meant to be very good, my brother went to him and passed 1st time after 3 lessons. I went to John Ryan and passed with him, also very good will explain things very thoroughly to you! Avoid Andrew Murray with a barge pole, had my first few lessons with him and had to change, felt he was very condescending and kept telling me to be aggressive on the road and not bother about what other drivers were doing....John Ryan was recommended to me by a friend who passed with him after about 4 lessons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

http://www.professionalschoolofmotoring.com

I would highly recommend them. I have done my rigid and artic truck tests with them and passed both first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Can you tell me antyhing about Irish Scholl of Motoring and Michael Regan? Is he good for first lessons in town centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭UCD2010

Definitely would recommend Martin Cunningham. Made learning to drive a joy and passed with a clean sheet after 4 lessons! Friend of mine also got a clean sheet with him too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Any other instructors can you recommend? That's for my girlfriend, she's driving not bad, but wants to take few lessons before exam.
    I think she'll go to Patsy Gallagher..

Mod Edit

Have moved post to more upto date thread on subject.

Advertisement