Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best after date

• 18-01-2009 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I was in Oz over the Christmas, drinking lots of nice beers. I was downing a few bottles of Coopers Pale and noticed the bottles have a best after date, which I thaught was a good idea but the bottles here have a best before date, strange.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Beers are legally obliged to display a best before date here. There are very very few beers which improve with age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

BeerNut wrote: »
    There are very very few beers which improve with age.

I was thinking the best after date was because it's bottle conditioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dylbert wrote: »
    I was thinking the best after date was because it's bottle conditioned.

Its dose take a few week to allow the conditioning and the C02 to equilibrate in the bottle and Old yeast wont cause any health issues, just maybe some gas;)

But over time the yeast can autolysis (cellular break down) and can come across as a beefy flavors in beer. This is not general good in light beer like coopers but there are some big 10%+ beer that are store for years that this flavors can become part of the beer.

oblivious wrote: »
    Its dose take a few week to allow the conditioning and the C02 to equilibrate in the bottle
    Yes, but the beer spends those week in the brewery, not on the shelves waiting for unwary punters. Every beer you can buy, like every wine, is ready for drinking immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

In Australia, there are a few ''live'' beers on the market. Little Creatures comes to mind and probably some coopers are ''live'' when released for sale.

• Advertisement

Yes, but that doesn't mean they aren't ready to drink. They wouldn't take the risk of you opening a bottle and finding it was flat because it hadn't conditioned sufficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Yes, but the beer spends those week in the brewery, not on the shelves waiting for unwary punters. Every beer you can buy, like every wine, is ready for drinking immediately.

True

Yes, but that doesn't mean they aren't ready to drink. They wouldn't take the risk of you opening a bottle and finding it was flat because it hadn't conditioned sufficiently.
    I was Queensland agent for Little Creatures and sadly, yes, on one occassion they did that with a full batch. Beer was awful and wouldn't listen to feedback. Normally it was a great beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maybe it is a marketing thing too, to show you it is fresh, like how bud have a "born on" date.

I was Queensland agent for Little Creatures and sadly, yes, on one occassion they did that with a full batch.
    Fair enough. Idiots. Sometimes craft breweries can be their own worst enemies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

In Australia, there are a few ''live'' beers on the market. Little Creatures comes to mind and probably some coopers are ''live'' when released for sale.

was in a Bar in Melbourne which had Little Creatures on tap, nice stuff.

Off topic, anyone know why theres no Bud in Oz?, not that I give a damn but my mate drinks it.

Outside the US and Ireland, there isn't much Bud anywhere. It has a tiny presence in the UK, where they've just closed the brewery that made it, but I don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

Australia has plenty of locally-owned crap lager brands -- it doesn't need to import them.

dylbert wrote: »
    was in a Bar in Melbourne which had Little Creatures on tap, nice stuff.

Off topic, anyone know why theres no Bud in Oz?, not that I give a damn but my mate drinks it.
    Dont know exact reason. Only companies who could brew it under licence would be CUB or Castlemaine and they would only interfere with their own market share by doing so. It is available in bottles in some states. But is really such a poor quality beer that in order to get a good market share quickly would need big marketing campaign. Last major import success there was Corona, because of the ''hip'' lime thing. And at least Corona is clear and refreshing. Peroni has made some inroads. Heineken also. But the bulk beer sales are VB, fosters, carlton, xxxx. Puzzles me how Irish people who drink a bit, still buy bud. I reckon it's piss.

Advertisement