Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst pub in Ireland?

• 18-01-2009 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this was posted when the "review" came out a few months ago but I said I'd stick it up here now anyway.

I was up there last night and the place was jammed, as usual, I'm not sure what yer man takes into consideration whan rating pubs but surely the worst pub in Ireland would have no punters?:confused:.I think its a grand spot but maybe its just a locals thing. I've been in plenty of worse places around the country, even in Tullow FFS.

So does anybody else think this title(lol) is a wee bit harsh?
    PUB TALK
    'Worst pub' is having a big party!
    BY now everyone knows that Pub Spy tells it like he sees it, without fear or favour.

Suffice to say, that in his review of the pubs he visited in 2009, The Irish Bar in the fair town of Tullow, Co. Carlow did not come too high on his list.

But Pub Spy is delighted to see that the patrons of this august establishment are in no way taken aback by his criticism.

Instead of weeping into their pints, they are having a good laugh.

In fact, they are holding a party in the pub (in Pub Spy's honour) on the night of January 17, to commemorate being named by him as the worst pub in Ireland.

"The posters are printed and we are ready to rock and roll and we hope some of Pub Spy's team will come," pub regular John Peters tells us.

"But the girls here in Tullow said you can leave the auld Commando at home," he joked.

Pub Spy has got the Pubmobile re-sprayed for the New Year. He wanted the editor to buy him a new one but times are hard and he was lucky not to lose his drink allowance.

He's recruited three new Commandos to his crack team - and one of these is from Carlow town, so he will fill him in further on thepleasures of Tullow. He promises to make a return visit to The Irish Bar, if not on the night of the celebration, then certainly in the very
    near future, where he will review his findings on the pub.

Pub Spy has heard that owner John Curry has done up the premises since the review and will be more than happy to re-visit it.

But he is very impressed by the spirit in which The Irish Bar takes his rather dubious award. As for the girls in Tullow, the Auld Commando says he wouldn't be seen dead with them as he's a confirmed bachelor and reckons women are troublesome and expensive and want to do stupid things like get married.

So, a Happy New Year to all in Tullow and we hope the party goes really well.

Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

if he thinks irish bar is bad ,he should visit a 'pub' on tullow street in carlow town.its in the vicinity of teach dolman and reddys.the smell of piss in the toilets is cruel.some of the staff have more ignorance than they will ever use.'KIP'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Jim K

I work with the DJ from this pub and he has only informed me yesterday that the Sunday world were down and were impressed with the attitude of the staff, the style of music from the DJ and the customers.
    I think the reporter is doing another article on the pub very shortly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I'm not a massive fan of the Irish, but it is an okay pub as small towns go. Its better than some of the "good" pubs in bigger towns and even cities imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

if he thinks irish bar is bad ,he should visit a 'pub' on tullow street in carlow town.its in the vicinity of teach dolman and reddys.the smell of piss in the toilets is cruel.some of the staff have more ignorance than they will ever use.'KIP'

mmmmm...... same pub had a staff wanted sign up for about 3 years. me wonder's why..... some people won't say its a bad pub, but the barracks is a woefully soulless place. the macdonalds of carlow's drinking establishments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Does anybody get suspicious when somebody signs up and really hypes a place or product up?

On a somewhat related note I noticed Carpenters got a decent review in the Sunday World a few eeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Does anybody get suspicious when somebody signs up and really hypes a place or product up?

On a somewhat related note I noticed Carpenters got a decent review in the Sunday World a few eeks ago.

+1 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

The Pint in Carpenters is good,,,,,i drink in the Teach mainly,,,i was in the barracks and the Pint was really bad,,NEVER AGAIN,,,:mad:

Ill stick to the Teach speaking of witch must go there now,,,have fun:):D chat tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Well, in her defense, the Irish is the job:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 tomloftus

da tavern . No. 1 pub in Carlow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

eddiehead wrote: »
    Well, in her defense, the Irish is the job:pac:

Find the Irish ok.
    Good music now and again.
    Friendly crowd and the pints are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

tomloftus wrote: »