Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CarForecourt.ie

Options
  • 18-01-2009 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭

Campbell Spray in the Indo talks about CarForecourt.ie

"Let the dealers come to you".

What does anyone think, will it take-off? Would you use it if you were looking for a new car?

Anyone in car sales, do you see this changing the way you sell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Sounds like a very good idea. Ford Direct in the UK offer a similar service http://www.jenningsforddirect.co.uk/usedcars/belfast/. Don't know if this service extends to the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think it MIGHT be a good idea. If dealers buy into it, it could mean good news for the customer as there will be a lot of different garages looking for the business.

It'd be interesting to see if it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Only last week one of Campbell Spray's articles was titled "Go local for best bargains". This week he's acknowledging that UK imports can be much cheaper - "just last week", "two colleagues told me of close relatives who had gone to the UK to buy their new transport", "saving absolutely thousands". That's some about turn.

I feel for the Irish motor trade as it's a very uphill battle competing against UK imports with the price of sterling where it is and it being beyond anyone's control.

Back OT, the website. I see this website as being like a kind of open marketplace which will be of help to consumers as in theory it would facilitate competition between Irish traders for the fewer Irish buyers. However, UK importers will have access to this website -

"They also receive emails about wanted cars in the Republic, and they can contact the potential buyers to offer them deals from the UK which they may not have considered. Most of these garages provide a full import service for Irish customers, registering the cars and paying VRT, etc, for them, so this process makes it simple for car buyers to get the best deal."

This makes it even easier to access 'cheap' UK imports. Irish traders who want sell through this website will have to price match UK imports in order to compete.

Advertisement