Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the dark side....

Options
  • 18-01-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone out there go from Oracle to SQL server DBA? Or vice versa, for that matter?

I'm just about to sit my final OCP exam and my company is starting to do things with MS SQL, so looks like I will have to start looking at SQL server 2008. Last time I looked at SQL server, it was 2000, I think.

(and yes, Ginger, you know who is to blame for this :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Que the music for the Empire...

You will have most of the basics covered such as understanding RDBMS,SQL yadda yadda.

Now it comes down to particular implementation and how if differs to Oracle. Unfortunately you are better off forgetting a lot of stuff rather than doing the whole comparison thing.

Soooooo...

Get up to speed on MDF and LDF, backups, windows auth, and system stored procs.

Get familiar with the SQL Server Management Studio (SMSS, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174173.aspx)

Its going to be a bit of work as the implementations are completely different.

Muhaha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Gas thing is, I am going to a "MS SQL Server 2008 for Oracle DBAs" sales pitch propaganda presentation in Sandyford on Thursday.

I was of the impression that the basics were the same - LDF is equivalent to Oracle redo logs, MDF is the Main database file, like the System tablespace in Oracle, were they not?

And the stored procedures aren't terribly different to PL/SQL.

Or am I being completely naive about this? :)

Bit naieve but in honesty its the same thing done a different way

PL/SQL has some differences to T-SQL and also there is the CLR stuff you can do in 2005+

Main diff I am guessing will be the security with Windows Auth, groups etc etc

Ok, so where would one start, with an aim to eventually get certified?

Probably will look at doing a hands-on course initially.

Hmmm

I would start by getting it and installing on a VM so you are familiar with that little chestnut.

Installing on a VM will allow you to copy it and set it quickly for things like log shipping, replication and mirroring.

Think there are some online labs you can do

• Advertisement

Ginger wrote: »
    Hmmm

I would start by getting it and installing on a VM so you are familiar with that little chestnut.

Installing on a VM will allow you to copy it and set it quickly for things like log shipping, replication and mirroring.

Think there are some online labs you can do

Yeah, we have a VM setup with a Sharepoint installation, which uses a SQL 2008 backend, so I could play around with that.

Might setup my own VM installation too, so I can break it.

Try not to use a sharepoint VM, mainly because if you rename it in the VM, MOSS breaks badly.

Set your own up, that way you can follow best practice for yourself.

Anyways this might help

http://sqlserver2008jumpstart.microsofttraining.com/content/info.asp?CcpSubsiteID=69&infoid=27

Some ppts and demos yadda yadda

Advertisement