Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling/Getting rid of Oil

Options
  • 18-01-2009 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Trying to get rid of an oil tank from the back garden, but unfortunately it has some oil left in it, and thus it's very heavy. Because of this, I'm looking for somewhere I can bring the oil to.

The way I figure it is once I get rid of the oil, we can get rid of the oil tank easy enough, as it'll then be light, and able to lift it over the garage onto the front driveway.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

A Civic Amenity site may take it, but you'd probably have to call them first. I know they take engine and cooking oil, but no mention of kerosene (for the one near me anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

if its kerosene, its of value?
    How many gallons do you reckon are in it OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Dunne.Drift

Kerosene??

how many liters as asked??

might take it of your hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Think it worked out 3 or 4 five gallon drums when we worked it out last time. The tank is a 1300Litres (300 Gallons) Oil Tank. We're getting rid of the oil before we get rid of the tank, as the tank is too heavy to lift over the garage with the oil inside it. And no, we're not going to dump it down the drain (as someone who was looking at the tank suggested).

The oil has been sitting there for going on 3 years now, so no idea what state the oil is in.

so, about 18 litres of oil........not too hard to decant tbh into some large jerrycans and take down the co co amenity recycling place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

so, about 18 litres of oil........not too hard to decant tbh into some large jerrycans and take down the co co amenity recycling place.

4 by 5gal drums is 20gal = 90 litres.
    OP has not said if it is Gas oil or Kerosene !

An old boiler last used 3 years ago is likely to have been using gas oil.
    Jim.

Erm, it's oil. The black stuff. I have no idea other than that what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

the_syco wrote: »
    Erm, it's oil. The black stuff. I have no idea other than that what it is.

If it's green, it is gas oil (diesel) - red = kerosene.
    It doesn't matter if you are re-cycling it, only if you are selling it to someone :)
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    4 by 5gal drums is 20gal = 90 litres.
    OP has not said if it is Gas oil or Kerosene !

An old boiler last used 3 years ago is likely to have been using gas oil.
    Jim.

sorry, you're right - i did'nt calculate 4 x 5gallon drums - i just did 5:eek:, or 4 , ohhhhh i cant rememeber, i'm half asleep here - I'm off to bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Will one of your neighbors let you dump it in their tank.

If it was diluted into an almost full tank it would not make any difference.

• Advertisement

Found out it is most likely kerosene.

Advertisement