Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New ideas to cope with the future ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

mumhaabu wrote: »
    All was going well until legalising drugs and the truth serum bit, I'd say create a sort of Amsterdam somewhere nobody likes anyway like Finglas, Ballymun or South Hill in Limerick, legalise cannabis and hookers add a few hotels and next thing it will be invaded by Brits on stag parties.

LOL brits in Finglas, imagine the fun the 7-12 year olds would have after last years paddys day riot

but seriously
    the Brits are about to test lie detection in interviews
    mumhaabu wrote: »
    Throw a bit of dosh to Mick O'Leary to fly them in next thing you will have a multi million euro industry that currently already exists only taxed and regulated. It would suit Limerick well as the locals have the necessary expeireince in those industries, plus it would help Shannon Airport, this will help after the Dell fiasco and help Limerick preserve its bad boy image.*

*Some was tongue in cheek but it was an idea I immediatly thought of after reading the ops post.

about 1 million in this country use drugs, think about the quality of drugs you would get if they were legalised.

think about the tax, it would cost the gov about 10 quid to make a kilo of grass in large quantities. if grass is 300-400 an ounce now they could sell it for 100 an ounce and still be making 99 tax per O. same with coke.
    whats the point in spending billions trying to stop it,

legalising cuts dealers out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Interest free loans for students in 3rd level education , you pay for what you study, you decide to drop out at the end of 2nd year ? you pay back 100% of 2 years!
    You qualify at the end? you only have to pay back 60% to 80% of the loan depending on your results.
    This would give everyone the opportunity to go to college and it would offer encouragement to do well.

wylo wrote: »
    Interest free loans for students in 3rd level education,
    This would give everyone the opportunity to go to college and it would offer encouragement to do well.

I think this is a very good point, by educating people they not only get knowledge but an awareness of social responsibility for the future.

The majority will contribute well to society, pay tax and pass their knowledge on to their offspring, who in turn will do better in the future.

The cost of sending someone to university for 4 years is cheaper than holding 1 prosoner for 1 year.

Sums this place up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I think this is a very good point, by educating people they not only get knowledge but an awareness of social responsibility for the future.

The majority will contribute well to society, pay tax and pass their knowledge on to their offspring, who in turn will do better in the future.

The cost of sending someone to university for 4 years is cheaper than holding 1 prosoner for 1 year.

Sums this place up really.

Fees are free atm, anything that puts in paying for college will decrease attendances, so it wouldn't make much of a difference.But I actually like the interest free loan system.I'm opposed to fees as I'm in college, but its better than my parents having to pay every year for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HercHauk

LOL brits in Finglas, imagine the fun the 7-12 year olds would have after last years paddys day riot

but seriously
    the Brits are about to test lie detection in interviews

about 1 million in this country use drugs, think about the quality of drugs you would get if they were legalised.

think about the tax, it would cost the gov about 10 quid to make a kilo of grass in large quantities. if grass is 300-400 an ounce now they could sell it for 100 an ounce and still be making 99 tax per O. same with coke.

legalising cuts dealers out

In Principal Communism works.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

You so so right, I think the government have this uber-strange notion that drugs kill. I mean, where did they get that from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Kama

where did they get that from??

Moral panic? Associated crime and violence from illegality? Beating a law and order drum is easier than any kind of evidence-based solution.

*cue for comparative fatalities with alcohol, tobacco, cars, etc*

If you really want to try making a harm reduction argument, feel free.

Choice A: there's a market, and its subject to taxation

Choice B: there's a market, and its not.

Take your pick. I'd go with the revenue, and cutting the financial bollocks off organised crime, meself...

Kama wrote: »
    Moral panic? Associated crime and violence from illegality? Beating a law and order drum is easier than any kind of evidence-based solution.

*cue for comparative fatalities with alcohol, tobacco, cars, etc*

If you really want to try making a harm reduction argument, feel free.

Choice A: there's a market, and its subject to taxation

Choice B: there's a market, and its not.

Take your pick. I'd go with the revenue, and cutting the financial bollocks off organised crime, meself...

Great post

Its a no brainer.

option 1 : spend 2 billion over the year trying to stop drugs that people want to take, the most common one cannabis has NEVER killed anyone as a direct consequence of taking it. let the dealers continue to blow the f*ck outta who ever they want while making 2 billion a year profit.

leave alcohol alone, god knows this country has had its problems with it.
    (it only kills a few thousand a year here)

option 2 : legalise, make dealers redundant, make a profit of 10 billion a year. More people will not try drugs because of this, if you are gonna use drugs you will.

Chris Rock is correct

People don't sell drugs, drugs sell drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HercHauk

Great post

Its a no brainer.

option 1 : spend 2 billion over the year trying to stop drugs that people want to take, the most common one cannabis has NEVER killed anyone as a direct consequence of taking it. let the dealers continue to blow the f*ck outta who ever they want while making 2 billion a year profit.

leave alcohol alone, god knows this country has had its problems with it.
    (it only kills a few thousand a year here)

option 2 : legalise, make dealers redundant, make a profit of 10 billion a year. More people will not try drugs because of this, if you are gonna use drugs you will.

Chris Rock is correct

People don't sell drugs, drugs sell drugs.

He was right about the bullet contol thing aswell...

Advertisement