Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM104

• 18-01-2009 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey...just wondering what people think of FM104 in general? Any good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Not for the Flutt, people speaking in pseudo American accents, general rubbish actually(just my opinion of course)

No not for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

When you're subjected to it for 10 hours non-stop in work, you very quickly come to despise it with an absolute passion.

5 hits in a row, ad free!
    Yes, indeed - the same five songs you played two hours ago, in a different order, yowzah! With, of course, a jingle advertising the fact it's ad free, in between each song. Don't listen to the Strawberry Alarm Clock anymore at all, it's just not funny in the slightest. Kids in the car, eh, no thanks. And it's impossible to listen to them through headphones for more than a few minutes without getting a headache. Grunge central!

But hey, they must be doing something right since they've held the number 1 spot in Dublin for many years now.
    In other words, FM104 not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Funny enough myself and the ladyfriend were in a taxi last night and 104 was on. Some female DJ playing generic pop music but constantly interrupting song transitions with her nasally fake D4-from-America accent. Horrifically annoying. If it was my car I would have changed the moment her voice came on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

No..... the station's rubbish.

98fm have slowly but surely crept up on Fm104, especially with theire morning show. Also, their music has become much more varied with even obscure stuff appearing from time to time. I guess FM104 have the advantage of having that popular (although I don't see why!) phone-show with Adrian Kennedy, but that's about all.

I'm not one to listen to mainstream radio that much, but when I do, it's 98fm all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

98fm have slowly but surely crept up on Fm104,

Eh where exactly?? 104 if anything over the last year have crucificed 98 in any figures available.

Find it also quite funny that you hate 104 but LOVE 98 yet they're practically the bloody same!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

Big Balls wrote: »
    Eh where exactly?? 104 if anything over the last year have crucificed 98 in any figures available.

Sorry...I should have clarified...I meant in quality IMO (although they have nearly equal market share according to the most recent JNLR)
    Find it also quite funny that you hate 104 but LOVE 98 yet they're practically the bloody same!!

I think love's a bit strong of a word....as I said I'm not one to listen to mainstream radio that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

FM 104 is ok IMO , the strawberry alarm clock is terrible but there talk shows are very good. The music is average. The station isnt terrible and isnt great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

****e generally but can be ok. i wish they stopped all acting american. and that adrian kenny gob****e, how did he ever become a presenter? the fm104 phone show is the like a congregation place for the scum of irish society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I think the phoneshow is FM104's best show. The strawberry alarmclock isn't as good as it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

Bland, generic music & unengaging presenters.

Granted, it's not aimed at me, but there are several stations not aimed at me that I could say more constructive, pleasant things about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 lampydoo

I wouldn't be so quick to write them off! Granted it may not be everybody's cup of tea but the figures say it all. Going on the latest JNLR it has a 20% reach, a HUGE 4% gap between its nearest competition 98. It has a market share of 13.7%, 1.5% ahead of 98 which to themetallifan is quite a substantial amount given Dublin is one of the most saturated markets in Europe.

I find it funny that 2 years ago when they lost Colm & Jim Jim to 2FM, pretty much everybody was saying oh thats it 104 has had its day, it was Colm & Jim Jim who made the station however over that 2 year period the station has gained even more listeners and as Big Balls so perfectly described it, has crucified its competition!

Number one music station in Dublin, number one breakfast show in Dublin... somebody's listening :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

FM104 are obviously doing something right considering they have been in the number one position in the Dublin market for a couple of years now. The music and/or presenters might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they must be keeping alot of listeners happy to hold such a strong reach/market share percentage!

I guess radio is a bit like Marmite... You either love it or hate it!!!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I think when Colm and Jim Jim left, thats when I stopped listening. FM104 never played a single request I requested, which is why 98fm and Phantom 103.5 work for me.

I first found 98FM's morning show with Dermot, Dave and Siobhan and I just think its brilliant. I actually would laugh out loud in the car on the way to work and I would overall, really enjoy listening.

Oh, I remember now. The talkshow at night became so appalling. Adrian and the other fella were purposely widing the angry callers up and I copped on to their tactics. Its like a Jerry Springer show, all the uneducated dubs call up with anger issues and he just winds em up.

98FM & Phantom all the way for proper quality music!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭hill16dub

How to hire a FM104 DJ

1/ IS HIS/HER VOICE COOL SOUNDING
    2/ PERSONALITY - DOESN'T MATTER SEE POINT 1
    3/ FUNNY - DOESN'T MATTER SEE POINT 1
    4/ ANY CHARMING FACTORS AT ALL - DOESN'T MATTER SEE POINT 1

how to pick the playing list for a month

1/ look at the top 20 singles, even if its bought by 13 year old girls
    2/ is the artist playing a concert in dublin
    3/ repeat the songs 20 times a day, makes life easier for the presenter
    4/ has an artist died, play some of their songs
    5/ dont think creatively and play songs people might want to hear
    6/ dont think outside the box, you might appear intelligent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CyrildoSquirrel

I prefer FM104 to Spin 103.8. Anytime I've ever landed on Spin during the week at luchtime they are always talking about oh-so-important teenage topics such as "What's the best anti-acne cream?" "How to deal with nasty teachers" or "Where can I buy those bright yellow leggings?" Great for teenagers (I assume), not so great for anyone over the age of 20.

I hate all morning radio though. All that fake cheeriness :mad:.

All the pro 98 posters must be employees cause I've never heard anyone describe their brekkie show as "just brilliant". Anyone that thinks an irritating girl's voice first thing laughing at two guys is "just brilliant" has to be fairly thick.

If you genuinely think that 98 play "quality music" over 104 you've got to get your ears tested. Bar a handful of songs, 98 and 104 are so similar they sometimes are playing the same song at the same time.

Listen in for a new song on 104 and a week or two later you'll hear 98 play it.

Can you all also name one presenter on 104 that sounds American for me please?

So hello to all the 98 employees, I hope Andy is giving you plenty of sweets for saying nice things, the rest of the radio industry is laughing at you because your brand is in crisis at the moment, so much so that Q102 are snapping at your heels in many ways.. and don't forget... smile!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

big balls works for fm104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Loved fm104 years ago when Colm & Jim-Jim where there but when the lads left so did i.

98fm is a station for grownups as some poster said above they play music for 13 year old girls.

I cant stand spin and imo fm104 are on the same par.

2fm in the morning till 9 then 98fm and on the way home NewsTalk would be the prefered station.

big balls works for fm104

I actually don't but I just find it funny to see 98 being made out to be the Holy Grail of Dublin radio when they copy 104 in so many ways - the guy running 98 worked in the place for over a decade so it's to be expected but it's ironic that most of what you hear on 98 for the better is something that person probably took from their experience elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

FM104 is what it is, a hit music station. The comments that the 104 is rubbish and 98 is great seem strange considering most people still think they are identical. I'm not sure of any DJ on either 98 or FM104 with an American accent, either authentic or forced.

The fact remains that FM104 is the most listened to music station in Dublin. I think this answers the question of whether it's popular. Despite 98's expensive relaunch, they haven't really made any impact. Of course that may change, but at the moment I can't hear anything coming from 98 that excites me. They even brought back the cash call recently which just reminds me of when they were the old Classic Hits.

You would also be forgiven for confusing 98 with 104, as there are so many ex presenters there now.

• Advertisement

I actually don't but I just find it funny to see 98 being made out to be the Holy Grail of Dublin radio when they copy 104 in so many ways - the guy running 98 worked in the place for over a decade so it's to be expected but it's ironic that most of what you hear on 98 for the better is something that person probably took from their experience elsewhere.

Bullsh1t. 98fm program line up is not the same. Morning and drive shows are of the same idea but that's just about it.

Thankfully that DJ flut Mark that is up his own ar*e is not doing the 98fm drive home show.

No one has made 98fm out to be the holy grail.

You should check it out because i think you will like it. :)

Damo9090 wrote: »

You should check it out because i think you will like it. :)

Damo, out of curiosity, what is it you like about 98fm that makes it original and different?

"Damo" the fact that you thought of 'programme line up' when I said copy shows you're new to this game.

There are far more complex things about 98 that are a complete rip off of 104 (which in itself is a copy of something else but at least it's not found elsewhere in Ireland).

And thanks for the tip but I've "checked out" 98 for quite a few years, which more than qualifies me to note the changes.

They even have an ex 104 man programming the music on the bloody station for Gods sake... you're only making yourself look silly.

Damo, out of curiosity, what is it you like about 98fm that makes it original and different?

98 is not the best but its the best of a bad bunch imo.

The DJ's are not up their own like most. Music can be better even though it can be repeated.

I feel that its aimed at a different age group.

104 are competing with 103.8 for teenagers

98 seem to be a mix playing a wide range of music you would hear on all the Dublin stations.

There are far more complex things about 98 that are a complete rip off of 104

Do you care to furnish me with the evidence?
    They even have an ex 104 man programming the music on the bloody station for Gods sake

Big swing. We all move to different jobs to better our careers and get more money. So if the the top man at Dunnes moves to Tesco does that mean Tesco is now ripping of Dunnes?
    you're only making yourself look silly.

Why because my opinion is not the same?

98 is not the best but its the best of a bad bunch imo.

The DJ's are not up their own like most. Music can be better even though it can be repeated.

I feel that its aimed at a different age group.

104 are competing with 103.8 for teenagers

98 seem to be a mix playing a wide range of music you would hear on all the Dublin stations.

Considering Spin and 104 roughly target the same age group, it's only natural they will compete for teenagers. To be fair to Spin, they do seem to this quite well.

I'm still not sure what makes 98 so different if they're just playing 'music you hear on all the other stations'. But, if that's what you want then good for you. It will be interesting to see how they do in future books. I just don't see the appeal of 98.

I'm still not sure what makes 98 so different if they're just playing 'music you hear on all the other stations'. But, if that's what you want then good for you. It will be interesting to see how they do in future books. I just don't see the appeal of 98.

As i said in post above they are the best of a bad bunch. If there was something unique out there you can bet i will be there.

I am no a teenager and that's why i don't listen to 104 .

98 have a grownup approach to the airwaves and that's why i would be inclined to listen to them.

90's Network ftw but unfortunately i think they are gone now.

Do you care to furnish me with the evidence?

Big swing. We all move to different jobs to better our careers and get more money. So if the the top man at Dunnes moves to Tesco does that mean Tesco is now ripping of Dunnes?

Why because my opinion is not the same?

No, I don't care to furnish anything, work it out for yourself, the two stations are there for you to listen to and work out what you think is copied or isn't suddenly on 98 cause 104 do it.

If a Dunnes man left for Tesco and starting saying Better Value Beats Them All then I would suggest there's a few similarities yeh. To suggest you don't learn a few things working for the market leader and use them in your new role is just downright stupid.

Your opinion is yours to make all day long, I just didn't come down in the last radio shower so I'm not saying this stuff to pass the time while the wife watches Desperate Housewives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I always loved to listen to radio. even done a small stint on hospital radio years ago. The radio station of today have too many conditions on what they can play and how much Irish content they must carry. Don't get me wrong i think there should be some Irish content, But not on every station. I like dance music. I don't mean pots and pans banging together. I listen to a Czech station when at home on the net http://www.kissmorava.cz/live-radio/ don't know what the Fup they are saying but the music is really fresh and kinda gives you a lift. In the car try east coast FM if you live in Dublin, I live on the north side and can pick it up easy. They seem to always play the good 80s songs mixed in with today's music.

• Advertisement

It would seem that alot of people don't know the facts here, 98's Programme Director is Andy Matthews a man who spent years as Deputy Programme Director at FM104, only leaving the station in the last year. I'm pretty sure during Andy's time at 104 he picked up a thing or two from Dave Kelly, PD @ 104.

I, like many in this business have noticed that since Andy took up his new position 98 has become more and more like 104 by the week! Before their relaunch the processing was tweaked to sound more like 104, they have changed their music scheduling - including alot of "younger" stuff in their playlist that they never would have played before, even down to the way presenters and imaging is phrased have become more like 104. That is just the tip of the iceberg, there's alot more! Andy's a smart man, he knows the 104 formula works... why not copy it?!

But once again I will reiterate, the figures say it all. FM104 is clearly the market leader but the end of the day it all comes down to personal preference, mine is 104.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I love FM104, it's my favourite station. Just my personal opinon.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

So hello to all the 98 employees, I hope Andy is giving you plenty of sweets for saying nice things, the rest of the radio industry is laughing at you because your brand is in crisis at the moment, so much so that Q102 are snapping at your heels in many ways.. and don't forget... smile!!!

And I hope that big staff meeting in Hume House goes well this afternoon. Whats that about redunancies and pay cuts? mmmmmm

Manimal wrote: »
    And I hope that big staff meeting in Hume House goes well this afternoon. Whats that about redunancies and pay cuts? mmmmmm

You should tell that to the hard working Newstalk staff that your owner let go before Christmas, I wouldn't feel too safe in the Malt House in that case, glass houses and all that Manimal, glass houses. What about the Music Director that worked in 98 for a wet weekend before being let go last year...? (Why Dec was taken out of that job I have no idea!) Oh forgot to mention that one too eh?!!

And Lampy above tells me management in Communicorp are not allowing 98 to even buy new computers while UTV are moving into a new state of the art building in 2009.....

should FM104 be renamed Repeat104

market leader

can someone define what that means, what age bracket, how was it calculated.

Considering their limited play list would it not be more economcal in these dark days to get a computer to do the entire programs and the current crop of DJ's can go back selling door to door mop heads?

lampydoo wrote: »
    I, like many in this business have noticed that since Andy took up his new position 98 has become more and more like 104 by the week! Before their relaunch the processing was tweaked to sound more like 104
    Have you listened to the two lately? They sound NOTHING alike sound wise!!! FM104 is full of distortion, everything is brickwall compressed to the extreme and to be quite honest, sounds pretty crap. 98 on the other hand, whilst quite loud, at least sounds clean. If you listen to a song on FM104, and the same song on 98 (or vice versa), the sound is noticeably different.
    BigBalls wrote:
    And Lampy above tells me management in Communicorp are not allowing 98 to even buy new computers while UTV are moving into a new state of the art building in 2009.....
    FM104 were due to move for at least a year now. They were originally going to be moved in with Today FM in Digges Lane before Today FM was sold off to Communicorp. As for buying computers, they're all fairly recently changed anyway so why the need to change them?

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    FM104 were due to move for at least a year now. They were originally going to be moved in with Today FM in Digges Lane before Today FM was sold off to Communicorp.

So? New owners obviously was going to bring the last move to a halt, point is they're moving.

Kensington wrote: »
    As for buying computers, they're all fairly recently changed anyway so why the need to change them?

I obviously know more about the running of 98 than you do and out of respect I'm not going to reveal how I know my claims to be true, but believe me, computers are just one thing that's not being bought for the moment.

Last year at the PPIs we saw Communicorp pick up the bill for their entire staff to overnight it in Kilkenny, I don't think we'll be seeing that either this year if we really want to keep going down the my d*ck is bigger than yours road.

listen to some of the top stations in the UK, freshingly new songs, a varied mix even on Radio 1. Listen to 104 or 98 and its the same bland mix, with all the songs out there that have ever been written even if they are old the number of repeat plays with the same 100 songs is unreal. Its like going to a 21st and they have the same mix of songs to play party after party.

FM104 definately tries to capture the <30's and <18s, 98 tries the same mix but with a stronger mix sometimes for the >30's thats the difference.

The irony is time after time its the same old songs played.

Spin tries for the <18's especially the female gendre, 70% of their songs are women vocals.

2FM try to vary their song mix as do todayfm

RTE1 and Newstalk capture the >30 market although Newstalk has changed their presenters so many times they appear to be all over the shop at the moment.

Not enough competition thats the problem

rock
    ska
    punk
    pure dance
    r&b
    American rock
    newly released songs

where the hell are these catered for in Ireland

Last year at the PPIs we saw Communicorp pick up the bill for their entire staff to overnight it in Kilkenny, I don't think we'll be seeing that either this year if we really want to keep going down the my d*ck is bigger than yours road.

wow...is that the best you can do dude? I reckon its more than the 104 staff will be getting from a seriously cash starved UTV this year. They've already shut down one of their scottish radio stations.

So? New owners obviously was going to bring the last move to a halt, point is they're moving.
    Yes, they're moving, big wow. And that betters them (Fm104) as a station does it? Will be very interesting to see how they consolidate Q102 and FM104 news and sales teams after the big move...
    BigBalls wrote:
    I obviously know more about the running of 98 than you do and out of respect I'm not going to reveal how I know my claims to be true, but believe me, computers are just one thing that's not being bought for the moment.

Good for you that you do. Boo hiss, bad form for Communicorp not sanctioning replacement of IT equipment AND cutting back on staff parties. They must be the only businesses in the entire world cutting back at the moment, feck them, sure it's not like there's a global recession occurring or anything!

From the sounds of things and the bitterness in your posts, (particularly towards Andy Matthews), you either work within FM104, or are a very disgruntled ex-Communicorp employee - possibly both. Anyway, this has gone completely off the topic...

wow...is that the best you can do dude? I reckon its more than the 104 staff will be getting from a seriously cash starved UTV this year. They've already shut down one of their scottish radio stations.

Oh so you skip over my NT point, my point that 98 fired the MD and you ask is it the best I can do?

Didn't have much of an answer to those ones I guess Manimal. :o

Kensington - you made me laugh at the computer here. Couldn't be more wrong about my opinion of Andy.

Childish little snipes about a building making a station sound better when I never said that just makes you look silly.

Nothing wrong with Denis O'Brien cutting anything I just thought it was a bit hypocritical of someone claiming they can point the finger at other stations when the recession is on their door step no more or less than any other broadcaster. In fact, when I pointed out a few casualties within the organisation they work for, the person in question had no response.

• Advertisement

Oh so you skip over my NT point, my point that 98 fired the MD and you ask is it the best I can do?

Didn't have much of an answer to those ones I guess Manimal. :o

Kensington - you made me laugh at the computer here. Couldn't be more wrong about my opinion of Andy.

Childish little snipes about a building making a station sound better when I never said that just makes you look silly.

Nothing wrong with Denis O'Brien cutting anything I just thought it was a bit hypocritical of someone claiming they can point the finger at other stations when the recession is on their door step no more or less than any other broadcaster. In fact, when I pointed out a few casualties within the organisation they work for, the person in question had no response.

I don't know what to tell you about Newstalk; we had been talking about 98 vs 104. If you want to expand the topic great; how about Newstalk beating the arse off Q102? speaking of Q102, they haven't had a good time of it recently have they. Lots of cuts there too.

still, I'm sure we'll find out whats going on in the Dubs branch of utv this afternoon after that big meeting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 buzzbomb

"Damo" the fact that you thought of 'programme line up' when I said copy shows you're new to this game.

There are far more complex things about 98 that are a complete rip off of 104 (which in itself is a copy of something else but at least it's not found elsewhere in Ireland).

And thanks for the tip but I've "checked out" 98 for quite a few years, which more than qualifies me to note the changes.

They even have an ex 104 man programming the music on the bloody station for Gods sake... you're only making yourself look silly.

I think you're making yourself look silly. Two words for you buddy "THE JOKER". After that little scam I don't think 104 can ever take the high moral ground on anything!!!!

See, Manimal, you're not really at the races here. You keep diverting away from the questions posed to you.

NT is owned by Communicorp who own 98 (we all know this, even you I'm sure) so that's why it's relevant. You came on here, telling us all that UTV were cutting jobs in Hume House making out like it's gospel, you more a less had a dig at the possible casualties but you failed to remember that the group you were trying to defend were at it long before anyone else.. ACTUAL JOBS CUTS in the south.

Q102 can't be compared to NT on any basis, one is a news output the other is music so I don't know what you're getting at there at all.

Now I'm here all week, if you want to try and distract us all from another post go right ahead but if want to put your Communicorp hat on again tell me how you can snigger at anyone else over cuts, losses, closures or anything else when your own employer is at it - something you seemed to forget in your first outburst in this thread.

buzzbomb wrote: »
    I think you're making yourself look silly. Two words for you buddy "THE JOKER". After that little scam I don't think 104 can ever take the high moral ground on anything!!!!

Why would I care??

Has feck all to do with me, "buddy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I just listen to Radio 1, intelligent presenters who inject their personality into their shows, different genres for each show generally and they don't follow with what's popular, they generally create it with a different tiered playlist.

FM104/Spin/The Rest are just fake American accents, endless sponsorship and their motto seems to be "play it all till you hate it" with Chris Brown/Rihanna/Kings of Leon/The Script/Leona Lewis repeated ad nauseum and rubbish competitions every three seconds. Also their news is the same every day "The roads have claimed another life...."

See, Manimal, you're not really at the races here. You keep diverting away from the questions posed to you.

NT is owned by Communicorp who own 98 (we all know this, even you I'm sure) so that's why it's relevant.

<EDIT>

Q102 can't be compared to NT on any basis, one is a news output the other is music so I don't know what you're getting at there at all.

so is Newstalk relevant or not? You're making about as much sense as an drunken Adrian Kennedy listener.

And if you're trying to make a point about communicorp being ruthless ****ers? Well i'm sure you're probably right.

You might also ask Colm and Jim Jim, joan Lee, Dec Pierce, Steve K, rick o Shea, Chris Barry, Stephen Cooper, Jenny Greene and Andy Matthews what it was like working in 104.

Lets be realistic here ; its hamburger radio, and I'm not too sure which station is McDonalds and which station in Burger King but they both treat their staff with disdain. Overnights for free ? Thats pretty low...

so is Newstalk relevant or not? You're making about as much sense as an drunken Adrian Kennedy listener.

And if you're trying to make a point about communicorp being ruthless ****ers? Well i'm sure you're probably right.

You might also ask Colm and Jim Jim, joan Lee, Dec Pierce, Steve K, rick o Shea, Chris Barry, Stephen Cooper, Jenny Greene and Andy Matthews what it was like working in 104.

Lets be realistic here ; its hamburger radio, and I'm not too sure which station is McDonalds and which station in Burger King but they both treat their staff with disdain. Overnights for free ? Thats pretty low...

Suffice to say I'm talking to someone who is going off on tangents during every single post.

One thought per link Manimal, surely they impressed that much upon you in the Radio Acadamy?!

Thanks for passing a slow day all the same, 47 mins and I am outta herrrrrre.

Overnights for free?! It would be clear Manimal that you obviously havn't a clue what your talking about, as far as I'm aware every employee in a radio station would be paid from the overnight jock to breakfast... if people volunteer (which I havn't heard a case of in years), surely that would be of their own accord. If you know of a company not paying their employees feel free to name and shame!

Just a few points that I'd like to make, alot of people on this topic don't seem to understand the meaning of commercial radio. It is a business and just like your local supermarket it has to have customers in order to survive and be profitable for its owners. In your local supermarket, they use techniques like product placement in order to maximize profits. For a radio station, we use research to work out listener habits such as the amount of time a listener tunes in for, the times they listen, the music they like etc. this information is used to make sure that when the listener tunes in they hear a song they like and they stay with the station thus attracting advertisers. So this crap that "oh FM104 plays the same songs all the time" is rubbish, you tell me a commercial station in a large market anywhere in the world that doesn't!!!!!!

As for this American accents thing, I can say that I have been listening to 104 for a long time and have never heard anybody who sounds remotely American on it, are you sure you're not tuned in to Steve K on Spin?!

Lets call a spade a spade here, for the past 5 years 98 has been trailing behind 104 in the ratings. They have had 3 Programme Directors in that time, have gone through countless tweeks in progamming philosophy and attempts at attracting listeners all with not much success. If we go back to the days of when they poached Chris Barry from 104 even that fell flat on its face and 104 continued to remain on top at night! The facts are this, you can drop the FM, get a shiny multi-coloured logo, start trying to make yourself more "edgy" but you still had a disaster of a book in the last JNLR... poor figures don't pay the bills so I'd be alot more worried if I was in the Malt House of whats to come than anywhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

the back and forth is interesting, the descent into personal attacks, not so much. Play the ball and not the poster folks. Friendly warning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

The PhoneShow and The Jam are the best.
    Listen to The PhoneShow almost every night and never get board of it,its gas when Adrian loses the head like the time someone called him a piedo,which was bad
    (I'll sue your arse) Adrian Kennedy

• Advertisement
Advertisement