Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC DVR - Bug Ridden Recording Schedule

Options
  • 18-01-2009 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Time after time our recording schedules simply vanish form the DVR

Happened AGAIN sometime yesterday, Saturday
    Programs we had set up to record just dropped off the schedule

Does anyone else have this recurring problem?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Archu wrote: »
    Time after time our recording schedules simply vanish form the DVR

Happened AGAIN sometime yesterday, Saturday
    Programs we had set up to record just dropped off the schedule

Does anyone else have this recurring problem?
    Very occasionally I've seen things in the program guide change. For example, Eastenders (yes, I know!) appears for a while in the EPG as starting at 20:00, and then shortly before it starts, it changes to 19:57. Now it actually starts at neither of these times (not UPC's fault, but the BBC's) so you just end up missing a minute or so of the start of the programme. What happens here is that the program appears not to be flagged to record in the EPG or on the now/next screen (i.e. no little red clock icon), but if you go to the menu with all your scheduled recordings in it, it's still there, and does actually record, but at the time you originally scheduled it for. Now whether this is UPC's fault, dodgy info in the EPG or dodgy info being supplied to whoever supplies the EPG, I don't know.

What also happens regularly is that a recording won't play back, with the message that it was from a channel that you are no longer subscribed to (which isn't true). As far as I am aware that is down to the "code rolling" that is done to frustrate the owners of the so-called "dodgy boxes".

Now, if you're unlucky enough to put in a recording reminder before such a code roll takes place, it's possible that when it comes to the time that the recording is due, the channel you were recording from's ID will have changed and the box will see it as in invalid channel and just not record it.

If this is what's happening then hopefully it will stop once they've rolled out the new viewing cards in the next few months and improved the encryption negating the need for all the code rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I've lost many a scheduled recording. Only last Sunday all my schedules, a weeks worth *disappeared*. Major fail. But who can you complain to? UPC dont appear to proactively support their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

All bugs aside, I'm surprised the recorder still relies solely on the EPG, as broadcast times can vary & you'll lose the start/end of the recording if it shifts about.

How come there is no program ID broadcast that allows DVR's to determine what exactly is being broadcast? Can't be that hard to insert something in a digital stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

gerryo wrote: »
    How come there is no program ID broadcast that allows DVR's to determine what exactly is being broadcast? Can't be that hard to insert something in a digital stream.

Because UPC don't like customers and don't want to do simple things to make it easy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Archu

I've lost many a scheduled recording. Only last Sunday all my schedules, a weeks worth *disappeared*. Major fail. But who can you complain to? UPC dont appear to proactively support their customers.

Indeed!
    It's getting beyond a joke! The DVR loses it's programmed memory on a weekly basis

I've asked UPC to explain why these SPECIFIC scheduled recording & memos have disappeared
    Yet some of Thursday's schedule seems to be intact

Friday
    RTE1 Street Where You Live
    RTE2 Criminal Minds - two episodes
    BBC1 QI
    Bio William Shatner Raw
    E! Chelsey Lately

Saturday
    E! Chelsey Lately

Sunday
    RTE1 No Frontiers - two episodes
    RTE1 ER

Monday
    RTE2 Gray's Anatomy
    TG4 Gossip Girl
    E! Chelsey Lately

Tuesday
    RTE1 US Presidential Inauguration
    SKY1 Battlestar Galactica
    RTE2 Desperate Housewives
    E! Chelsey Lately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

Indeed!
    It's getting beyond a joke! The DVR loses it's programmed memory on a weekly basis

I've asked UPC to explain why these SPECIFIC scheduled recording & memos have disappeared
    Yet some of Thursday's schedule seems to be intact

Friday
    RTE1 Street Where You Live
    RTE2 Criminal Minds - two episodes
    BBC1 QI
    Bio William Shatner Raw
    E! Chelsey Lately

Saturday
    E! Chelsey Lately

Sunday
    RTE1 No Frontiers - two episodes
    RTE1 ER

Monday
    RTE2 Gray's Anatomy
    TG4 Gossip Girl
    E! Chelsey Lately

Tuesday
    RTE1 US Presidential Inauguration
    SKY1 Battlestar Galactica
    RTE2 Desperate Housewives
    E! Chelsey Lately

Wow, that's a lot of TV. Maybe the DVR is trying to save you some viewing time :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 monkey9comma

Anyone know how to stop a scheduled recording? Can't work it how to do it once a series ends and have to clear overlap recordings every week now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

d8player wrote: »
    Wow, that's a lot of TV. Maybe the DVR is trying to save you some viewing time :D.

Or exercising some quality control... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

Anyone know how to stop a scheduled recording? Can't work it how to do it once a series ends and have to clear overlap recordings every week now.

You need to select the scheduled recording, press the 'stop' button on the remote and you can then delete the recording by pressing the blue button.

Must be, or indeed some inbuilt "quality" filter
    However "test" schedule memo and repeat record I set up for Ch100 UPC Info TV remain :D

Entire schedule wiped itself again yesterday evening
    Entries for RTE1, Sky1, BBC3, Discovery all gone

Really, really, REALLY annoyed

• Advertisement

Schedule wiped itself Friday afternoon

Still waiting for a coherent explanation from UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Archu, we shedule stuff quite a lot and 90% time it works. When it doesn't work one of the following happens:

1) most commonly - program truncated due to a timing issue - very basic and poor problem.
    2) there is a red icon on the recording
    3) Last Friday - set to record Jonathon Ross, recorded ok but went to play back many times and every time it displayed an s/w upgrade message and crashed the box

Overall I find the UPC box slow and poor, compared to XP MCE or VISTA recoRding it's way worse and from what I have seen of SKY+ it's not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭abraxas01

Archu, not sure if I can help, but thought I'd ask. Afaik, when setting the repeat recording, it doesn't populate the TV Planner with all instances of the recording. Is it the case that it's not recording the programmes at all, or is it that it's just not populating the next instance to the TV Planner? I've a friend who works on the STB team for UPC NL, so he can probably confirm for me, but just want to check what's happening first?

abraxas01 wrote: »
    Archu, not sure if I can help, but thought I'd ask. Afaik, when setting the repeat recording, it doesn't populate the TV Planner with all instances of the recording. Is it the case that it's not recording the programmes at all, or is it that it's just not populating the next instance to the TV Planner? I've a friend who works on the STB team for UPC NL, so he can probably confirm for me, but just want to check what's happening first?

All recording memos, ie all instances, disappear when the schedule is lost

UPC have replaced the DVR, but the Schedule still screws up - most recently last Wednesday
    Tech support have no suggestion

Many thanks for the offer of help - it's driving me KNUTS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Thank god someone with similar problems. For a long time it was really just my (ex)girlfriend who used the recorder. Now that she is gone I was able to delete all of her set recordings and replace them with my own.

Now, on almost a daily basis her recordings keep coming back (and screwing with my recordings). Everyday I delete the memos and everyday they re-appear

Most annoying was tonight though. I had set a recording for Grand Designs (I love this show) and after 3 mins of watching it just stopped. WTF says I. I went into the recordings screen to find that all of her recordings had re-appeared but also there was 2 instances of the recording memo I had set up for Grand Designs.

Has anyone managed to solve this issue of record memo's getting fupped up?

Does anyone know how to re-flash the box? (I am missing channels that I should have)

/edit/ Ok, got the missing channels back but still have the memo issue

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

gobby wrote: »
    :
    Has anyone managed to solve this issue of record memo's getting fupped up?
    :

As far as I can remember (not looking at my TV or remote) to delete the entire series of a repeat recording you need to press the stop key (small square symbol) at the bottom of the remote (beside the play key) after hitting the blue button. To delete individual recordings you press OK after hitting the blue button. There are some onscreen instructions when you're doing this.

As far as I can remember (not looking at my TV or remote) to delete the entire series of a repeat recording you need to press the stop key (small square symbol) at the bottom of the remote (beside the play key) after hitting the blue button. To delete individual recordings you press OK after hitting the blue button. There are some onscreen instructions when you're doing this.
    Ah yes, of course. But when I do this the memo's magically reappear the next day. Deleted more this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

gobby wrote: »
    Thank god someone with similar problems. For a long time it was really just my (ex)girlfriend who used the recorder. Now that she is gone I was able to delete all of her set recordings and replace them with my own.

Now, on almost a daily basis her recordings keep coming back (and screwing with my recordings). Everyday I delete the memos and everyday they re-appear

Maybe she's still got a key & is screwing with you !!

At least it doesn't think you're gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭verbatim

All recording memos, ie all instances, disappear when the schedule is lost

UPC have replaced the DVR, but the Schedule still screws up - most recently last Wednesday
    Tech support have no suggestion

Many thanks for the offer of help - it's driving me KNUTS

I got the DVR on Sat and put in a few recordings, first 3 recorded fine, then the DVR decided to make all of the rest of them vanish. Very annoying. Wish I got Sky+ instead.

You know what, you were right about hitting stop rather than okay. Recordings seem to have been sorted now, fingers crossed. Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement