Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garmin nuvi 255 loading additional maps

Options
  • 18-01-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

just bought a garmin nuvi 255, trying to download inland waterways ireland map, (although not an official garmin map is suitable for garmin products) onto an sd card have downloaded the maps but cant display them on my computer or access them through the garmin my friend downlaoded the maps directly onto the garmin but it wiped his europe maps, anyone know how to have the lake map on the sd card???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You need the Garmin Mapsource program installed on your PC to download additional maps. Assuming you're using shannoncharts.com, this package installs the maps into the Mapsource directory, then you use Mapsource to put them onto the Garmin device.

Garmin MapSource used to come on a CD called Trips & Waypoints Manager which came free with most GPS units, you got a PC program called MapSource and a crude and basic map of the whole world showing major cities, airports and highways. If you can get your hands on this CD you can download an update to the program from the Garmin website here but you must first have some version (any version will do) of MapSource already installed.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

A bonus if you have MapSource on your PC is that if you use that PC to update the maps on a Nuvi unit, the update process will leave a copy of the new maps on your PC viewable by MapSource so you can plan routes and views the maps on the PC as well as on the Nuvi.

Garmin now sell Trips and Waypoints Manger under a different name but for the life of me I can't find it. There are freebie programs available on the web which claim to be able to download maps to Garmin units, use at your won risk! Shannoncharts.com has a program called SendMap which might be worth investigating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shlen

Thanks a mill problem solved!:)

Advertisement