Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time for a national goverment?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

Just wondering peoples opinion about a national government; it would be good idea for my point of view they would be able to face down the public union and would bring together the best minds in how we can get out of this current situation...but whats your view

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

a come on we are facing uncertain times and we will have elections...just read a good piece on the sunday independent and it seem a good idea to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

There is not that many "best minds" in the current government

But if it would stop them squabbling amongst themselves...

Time to stop talking and start acting thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭_Nuno_

johnnyc wrote: »
    a come on we are facing uncertain times and we will have elections...just read a good piece on the sunday independent and it seem a good idea to me

Good piece on the Sunday independent?? That makes no sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭norrie_1001

I think its a good idea but I can't see it happening. Fianna Fail would never give up that much power to Fine Gael and Labour.
    Anyway who would willingly give up their plum ministerial jobs in the current government?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

LOL ! That was the first thing i thought too when i read the OP

cowen even seems to be practicing his saluting already, look here & here & here

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

_Nuno_ wrote: »
    Good piece on the Sunday independent?? That makes no sense...

an original thinker , excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

As far as im concerned their is too many duds on both the Government and the Opposition benches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Sorry if this sounds like a strange question (I was brought up abroad), but a national goverment as opposed to what? My understanding was that the Taoiseach is the head of the national goverment.

Havind said that, I would love to see a system where the "true" head of state is chosen by direct vote, not by internal party politics. Afterall, the guy has pretty much equivalent power to a president, but without being a national choice.

About think tanks, multi-party co-operation (if that is what you have in mind), isn't this down to the person in charge initiating a process of open dialog and colaboration? If it is, this just proves we have the wrong people in power.

On the other hand, there is nothing easier than being in opposition. All you have to do is complaint, and most of the time you are not even expected to have the right answers. It would be amusing to see opposition leaders invited to put their money where their mouths are. A few frontbenchers might sudenly feel attracted to less visible seats.

We are entering into uncharted waters, nobody has seen days like this jobs been lost at 1000 weak unless u lived through the great depression. A government of national unity would be able to deal with the public unions and other issues. The government would have to listen to key business leaders Michael O'Leary, Anthony O'Reilly etc...what has to be done to improve the situation and place a path for the future of this country to recover from the mess we are in. The public unions members wouldn't be able to bully goverment into no pay cuts(thats why we had bench marking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Zynks wrote: »
    Sorry if this sounds like a strange question (I was brought up abroad), but a national goverment as opposed to what? My understanding was that the Taoiseach is the head of the national goverment.

Havind said that, I would love to see a system where the "true" head of state is chosen by direct vote, not by internal party politics. Afterall, the guy has pretty much equivalent power to a president, but without being a national choice.

About think tanks, multi-party co-operation (if that is what you have in mind), isn't this down to the person in charge initiating a process of open dialog and colaboration? If it is, this just proves we have the wrong people in power.
    A "national government" is one like the UK government in WW2, an all-party government to reduce dispute.
    On the other hand, there is nothing easier than being in opposition. All you have to do is complaint, and most of the time you are not even expected to have the right answers.
    No, that's only if you're in opposition in Ireland. In proper countries you're expected to actually know stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

marcsignal wrote: »
    LOL ! That was the first thing i thought too when i read the OP

cowen even seems to be practicing his saluting already, look here & here & here

:D

Typical biffo he can't even figure out which hand, left or right, to salute with :rolleyes:

If we lived in a proper banana republic, as opposed to a half ars*d one, the army would take over, line up biffo, bertie et al against a wall and shoot them :)

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

We are entering into uncharted waters, nobody has seen days like this jobs been lost at 1000 weak unless u lived through the great depression. A government of national unity would be able to deal with the public unions and other issues. The government would have to listen to key business leaders Michael O'Leary, Anthony O'Reilly etc...what has to be done to improve the situation and place a path for the future of this country to recover from the mess we are in. The public unions members wouldn't be able to bully goverment into no pay cuts(thats why we had bench marking)

If you put those two f*ckers in charge it would result in 11 hour days for sh*t wages. The likes of O'Reilly and O'Leary aren't just anti-union in the public sphere, but anti-union full stop. I could see the two of them putting children on the looms in a 19th Century English factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Would Anthony O'Reilly have to start contributing some tax before we let him have his say on the way the country should be run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

is barrack obamba doing something like this? Hasnt he given postions of power to republicans?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭uaobrien

Strange thing (about the Herr Führer comment) is that Hitler was quite the dab hand at economic policy, pulling Germany out of the financial abyss in the 1930s. He just had a mildly irritating habit of being an evil incarnate nutjob who enjoyed killing millions of people on a whim.

But the really interesting thing is it all happened because the Germans at the time kept their mouths shut and let the "national government" walk all over them.

Thankfully no one can accuse the Irish of letting their government ignore them. We live in a fine upstanding country that is not afraid to let the government know when we're displeased by voting them back into power again. However, I like the illusion of democratic representation.

National Government? No, I don't think I'd like to be part of that section of history repeating itself thank you very much.

ah dont see any irish hitler in the dail (except biffo with his saluate). The national government for me would be able to deal with the unions and help/guide the country through these difficult times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Leon08

ah dont see any irish hitler in the dail (except biffo with his saluate). The national government for me would be able to deal with the unions and help/guide the country through these difficult times

Personally I have no confidence in either the current Government or the Opposition. On the one hand you've got Cowen and the lads clinging on desperately, hoping that by some miracle everything will fix itself soon.

On the other hand Enda Kenny and John Bruton and the boys, and although they seem like a better alternative than what we have now, there isnt much difference between FG and FF in terms of policy. At the end of the day they were both elected by in-bred farmers.

And Eamon Gilmore is a useless lump of ****e. What a ****ing clown. Who would want to have him responsible for anything other than providing a bit of entertainment in the Dail.

So yeah, let's stick all these dimwits together and let them govern the country collectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Leon08 wrote: »
    Personally I have no confidence in either the current Government or the Opposition. On the one hand you've got Cowen and the lads clinging on desperately, hoping that by some miracle everything will fix itself soon.

On the other hand Enda Kenny and John Bruton and the boys, and although they seem like a better alternative than what we have now, there isnt much difference between FG and FF in terms of policy. At the end of the day they were both elected by in-bred farmers.

And Eamon Gilmore is a useless lump of ****e. What a ****ing clown. Who would want to have him responsible for anything other than providing a bit of entertainment in the Dail.

So yeah, let's stick all these dimwits together and let them govern the country collectively.

So what is your answer?
    Would you leave the current shower in and then they will know they can sh** on us from a height and nothing will ever happen to them ?

BTW I take you don't vote since after all it is only in-bred farmers that do, or at least do for the main parties :rolleyes:
    There must be a hell of a lot of inbred farmers around Drumcondra since bertie always topped the poll there ;)

Do you vote ?
    Did you vote at the last general election ?
    Did you vote for someone that elected bertie as the nations leader ?
    Yes or No will suffice !

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    So what is your answer?
    Would you leave the current shower in and then they will know they can sh** on us from a height and nothing will ever happen to them ?

No I wouldn't, although to be perfectly honest I dont have a solution. I would like to see FG have a go and hope that they do better, but something tells me their approach would not be that radically different.
    Do you vote ?
    Did you vote at the last general election ?
    Did you vote for someone that elected bertie as the nations leader ?
    Yes or No will suffice !

Sorry for the previous rant, some comments were'nt warranted, just out of frustration you know :o

No I haven't voted yet, as I only turned 18 a few days after the last general election, but to be honest I don't know who I would have voted for.

I voted on Lisbon (against), because it was a bad deal.

No I would not have voted for FF, and most definetely not for Bertie Ahern.

There must be a hell of a lot of inbred farmers around Drumcondra since bertie always topped the poll there ;)

That's Dubs for ya, don't consider the bigger picture i.e. life outside the world's greatest sh*thole of a city. ;)

Only messing, but seriously, thats your standard "what's he ever done for me" mainstream Irish voter mentality. Keep your buddies and constituents happy, then you can keep your seat as a TD. Simple, immoral but effective.

So in short, other than a new party being created, one founded on sound principles, I can't think of a solution.

FTA69 wrote: »
    If you put those two f*ckers in charge it would result in 11 hour days for sh*t wages. The likes of O'Reilly and O'Leary aren't just anti-union in the public sphere, but anti-union full stop. I could see the two of them putting children on the looms in a 19th Century English factory.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Ryanair employees some of the best paid in the industry? I thought Michael O'Leary's attitude is that in return for good pay, employees must not be in a union?

Unions in this country are bring companies such as CIE to its knees. I am all for the maintenance of workers rights and preventing worker exploitation but trade-unionism has been taken to the extreme in the last few years. A lot of individuals are using unions as a shield against getting off their ars*s and doing some work.

I dont know anything about Anthony O'Reilly so I cant comment on him.

Advertisement