Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-Shedding Dogs

• 18-01-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'm thinking about adopting a dog, and have looked on dogsindistress.org, however i want to get a non shedding dog, or one with minimal shedding, as i don't want dog hairs allover the house. Does anyone know if Kerry Blue dogs shed, and what about small terrier x dogs?
    Thank you in advance for all help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rachel 999

Most Ters. do not shed a lot if any at all but remember they can be a bit firey as they were breed to rid us of vermin. A non shed dog will require regular groooming.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Poodles don't shed much so anything that's crossed from one should be ok. You'll often see Poodles crossed with Labradors (Labradoodles :rolleyes:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Some terriers do shed a lot but they are very fine hairs and stick to everything. No dog owner can afford to be overly house proud, can understand not wanting dog hairs when there's allergies but there are other issues like chewing, house training etc to take in to consideration before thinking of adopting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

We've got 2 terriers,

A Silky Haired Australian Terrier (Basically a Yorkie)
    & a Yorkie cross.

Both have hair more similar to a human's hair, and need to be trimmed regularly as they don't shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

We've 6 month old soft-coated wheaten terrier and they don't shed but you do need to brush them daily.

They're also meant to be hypoallergenic but as the BH found out they're not!!

o29

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,926 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've heard that Labradoodles are non shed. Also Bichon Frisse (sp) are non shedding if you're looking for something smaller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 quiteman

We have a Bichon Freise and these do not shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

00112984 wrote: »
    Poodles don't shed much so anything that's crossed from one should be ok. You'll often see Poodles crossed with Labradors (Labradoodles :rolleyes:).

The Poodle is a very old, well established breed of dog and no, they don't shed but it takes years of selective breeding to get a breed of dog that does not shed.

1st crosses often still shed their fur because of the genes of the shedding sire/dam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 araknie

We have a 10 month old standard poodle and she does'nt shed at all but we had to get her from the Uk as there does'nt seem to be many over here. she is kc registered in the uk and we will get her registered over here soon. anyone know od any standard poodle dogs over here as we would love to breed her in a year aor so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rachel 999

Go to an IKC champ dog show, if you ring the kennel club they will tell you when one is on. Meet some top class breeders there.:):):)
    araknie wrote: »
    We have a 10 month old standard poodle and she does'nt shed at all but we had to get her from the Uk as there does'nt seem to be many over here. she is kc registered in the uk and we will get her registered over here soon. anyone know od any standard poodle dogs over here as we would love to breed her in a year aor so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

i also have a bichon and they dont shed at all . . .gret temperment and a very good little dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

I have a minature black poodle and he doesn't shed at all, but requires regular professional grooming/cuts which can be expensive (€45 every 6 weeks) plus daily brushing and minimum of weekly washing. Well worth the effort though, he gorgeous :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I'm thinking about adopting a dog, and have looked on dogsindistress.org, however i want to get a non shedding dog, or one with minimal shedding, as i don't want dog hairs allover the house. Does anyone know if Kerry Blue dogs shed, and what about small terrier x dogs?
    Thank you in advance for all help
    old english sheep dog big and fun loving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

I have a Cocker Spaniel and they also are non shedders but they also need grooming every couple of months, they are the ideal family dog as they have a lovely temperment but they do need attenion. Well worth a look though!

Advertisement