Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Eircom Netopia 2247 router get higher speeds than 12mb?

Options
  • 18-01-2009 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I should be getting 24mb on eircom but the max speed i get is 12Mb when i check the DSL statistics on the router i get following results
    Line State- Up
    Modulation- ADSL2+
    Data Path - Fast
    ........................................Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps)............20474...... 1023
    SN Margin (dB)..........................10.70........8.80
    Line Attenuation (dB).....................3.80.......0.60
    CRC Errors......................................43..........15

I have the most up to date firmware on the 2247 (7.8.0r2) but i can still never get over the 12mb.
    at the moment a speed test will give me
    391408564.pngthis is wireless but its about the same cabled.

Any help would be much appriciated

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You are sync'd to your exchange at 20Mbps.

20Mbps over Adsl2+ is excellent. I take it you live very near to the exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Download this, select HeaNET.ie and tell us what speed Your getting after a minute or 2. Speedtest is a little inaccurate as it may be limited by the connection speed to the speedtest server itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

jmccrohan wrote: »
    You are sync'd to your exchange at 20Mbps.

20Mbps over Adsl2+ is excellent. I take it you live very near to the exchange?

Id say less then 100 metres. Im happy getting the 10mb but would like to see the 20mb or 24mb working. I will try that other speed test later as im not at home now

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Id say less then 100 metres. Im happy getting the 10mb but would like to see the 20mb or 24mb working. I will try that other speed test later as im not at home now

You snr is pretty dire for the speeds you are trying to get and I think too that your wireless even if it is 'g' standard may limit the maximum speed on your network. Even where the g standards claims 54Mbs most reviews of g standard routers say that wirless performace is nowhere near this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Eh :eek: !!??!!

When did eircom allow synching at 20mbits ??? what package is the OP on ???

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    You snr is pretty dire for the speeds you are trying to get and I think too that your wireless even if it is 'g' standard may limit the maximum speed on your network. Even where the g standards claims 54Mbs most reviews of g standard routers say that wirless performace is nowhere near this.

Ok Thanks. So you think the SNR is causing the poor speeds? should i ring eircom about this or is it something that just cant be fixed?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ok Thanks. So you think the SNR is causing the poor speeds? should i ring eircom about this or is it something that just cant be fixed?

Have a read of this article it will give you a fair bit of information:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Might be worth checking your internal wiring too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

But he's syncing at 20mbit, snr isn't his problem. He wouldn't sync at 20mbit if snr was 2 low.

Can You dl Ubuntu from that link I gave You in an earlier post? Its a much better method of measuring speed.

Also do another speedtest from somewhere else
    http://speedtest.smarttelecom.ie/
    http://speedtest.magnet.ie/
    http://www.irishisptest.com/runmyspeed.php
    Also as dub45 says, don't use wireless. Using wireless would be limited to your wireless card (of which I've seen some max at 5mbit).

I'd also like to know what Eircom package You're on, I've not come across Eircom 24mbit before, there's no mention of it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Eh :eek: !!??!!

When did eircom allow synching at 20mbits ??? what package is the OP on ???

Was just thinking the same thing myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

he-he, i guess some local eircom engineer helped him out to get such a synching lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

Thats odd the fastest current package is 12mb.

The modem is capable of it as i use one and can download a file at close to 20mbps.

my upstream also syncs at 1023 which is odd, i though it should be 1024

Thanks for all the replys. Called eircom today and was advised there was a fault on they line and they will be looking into it so hopefully this will help. For anyone wondering its a 24mb trial. I dont know anthing else about the trial only that im on it and someone living a few doors down are also on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This trial down in Sandyford is it ??

eircom obviously don't know the difference between a synch and a port it seems or else have minged the experimental profile for the trial , I can imagine how bewilderd BB support must be look at that synch speed :D

Smart are the only carrier who synch at max irrespective of the port size . Normal eircom profiles synch at the port speed or sometimes less if the profile is unstable and you contact support about it .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that 24meg adsl2+ trial also has fast path enabled. Really puts my 5meg (ment to be 7.6meg) and ultra high interleving package to shame:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

For anyone wondering its a 24mb trial
    i thought it is a DSLAM hack :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

more information needed OP ! Please enlighten us !

nuxxx wrote: »
    more information needed OP ! Please enlighten us !

Id love to but i dont have any other information. I live very close to the Eircom exchange. Got a call asking do we want to take part in a trial for 24mb - Was put on a pack for 15mb D and 2mb up for a few weeks and then got changed to the one im currently on. Was happier on the 15mb because i have never got over 12mb but had 2mb up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Eircom have been trialling this for a while now, don't hold your breadth for it to be released as a package.

Advertisement