Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Camera Bags

• 18-01-2009 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I just bought a Nikon D60 this weekend, my first camera, and I need to get a bag for it, just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a nice one "cheapish".

I done a bit of a search on the net and I was looking at the following:

http://vidego.productvideocast.com/player.php?p=t8353j52

Its worth about E100 but I found it online for about E35 from the US, what do yous think of it??? What bag would you use??? Whats the most important thing when your looking for a bag???

Thanks,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

most important things in a camera bag is dryness and space (IMO)

buy a bag suitable for the amount of gear you have an possibly space to buy a few bits more.

I have bought loads of bags over the last couple of years and the best one that I have been using for the last 2yrs is a crumpler champ XL - I can keep a body/70-200 and flash in top section ready for action - takes approx 2-3secs and I'm ready to shoot.

and theres space for a 300mm f2.8 and 16-35mm f2.8 in other areas of the bag, and spare batteries.

I got mine in a Shop in Dublin and it was €160....probably dropped in price since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

So I take it your looking at spending a bit of money on it then, which is fair enough because after spending so much on the equipment you don't want to be cheaping out on the bag.

And would a backpack be better than a sidebag, if you get me???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I got a lowepro nova 2 all weather for 16 sterling off 7dayshop.com bout 4 months ago. Recently went into camera exchange on georges street and the had the nova 1 non aw for 68 euro!

Fits my a200 (bigger than the d60) with a 75-300 on it and the kit lens and a 50mm in the side. Pocket in the front for several filters. Its totally rain proof too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

I'm also shopping for a bag at the moment, hopefully getting a D90 next week all going well :)

There seems to be some good prices here for some of the Lowepro bags :) Lowepro Slingshot 100 AW is only £40 / €44.50
    http://www.warehouseexpress.com/category/categorynav.aspx?cat02=2007
    Not sure about postage rates to Ireland tho :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I got the Lowepro Slingshot 200 on eBay about 6 months ago for approx €60 incl. postage (half what it would have cost in one store in Dublin). I particularly wanted a backpack type bag and I've been really pleased with it. Well made and plenty of room, I think the 200 is a much better option than the smaller 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Agree that the Slingshot 100 is too small for a D90. Throw in a flash and a nifty fifty and you've filled a 100, go for the 200 instead. I bought my 200 AW in Gunns for E90 which was 10 and 20 cheaper than the other main retailers in Dublin.

ollaetta wrote: »
    I got the Lowepro Slingshot 200 on eBay about 6 months ago for approx €60 incl. postage (half what it would have cost in one store in Dublin). I particularly wanted a backpack type bag and I've been really pleased with it. Well made and plenty of room, I think the 200 is a much better option than the smaller 100.

You haven't got a link for the ebay seller you used by any chance :)
    I'm still trying to decide on the 100 or 200, I'll only have a D90 with the kit 18-105 & a 70-300VR but will probably have the 70-300 attached to the camera when in the bag. Would the 100 be big enough or if I got the 200 are the dividers secure enough to keep the bag stable without the compartments full :confused:

Sorry to interrupt OP, I was going to start a new thread to ask this but this might also be of interest to you :)

No, this is helping me out too, don't worry about it.

I'm looking at the 200 really and I found one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/LOWEPRO-SlingShot-200-AW-200aw-CAMERA-BACKPACK-CASE-BAG_W0QQitemZ280302669215QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_BagsCases_JN?hash=item280302669215&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

It works out at about E51 with postage, however it is coming from Hong Kong, all the rest are a bit more expensive, but then again saying that they are much more cheaper than any Dublin Shop, according to the other posts here.

There is also a second-hand one there from the UK but bidding doesn't finish for another week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Alfie1 wrote: »
    You haven't got a link for the ebay seller you used by any chance :)
    I'm still trying to decide on the 100 or 200, I'll only have a D90 with the kit 18-105 & a 70-300VR but will probably have the 70-300 attached to the camera when in the bag. Would the 100 be big enough or if I got the 200 are the dividers secure enough to keep the bag stable without the compartments full :confused:

Sorry to interrupt OP, I was going to start a new thread to ask this but this might also be of interest to you :)

I'm sorry but I don't still have the link. Just did a search though and here's one from a UK seller for £45 sterling on a Buy it Now deal. Postage is another £12.50 but it should still only be just over 60 yoyo.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/LOWEPRO-SLINGSHOT-200-AW-UK-dealer-CAMERA-BACKPACK_W0QQitemZ250355745207QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CamerasPhoto_CameraAccessories_BagsCases_JN?hash=item250355745207&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

For anybody looking at Lowepro bags, go to Gunnes on Wexford Street. Bing you gear and they'll let you try them out and their prices are very competitive against the web.

Lowepro are the brand i'd recomend as they come with a lifetime warranty. I had a minor issue with a bag lately and they replaced it with no quibbles at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I'm a big fan of both of my Lowepro's; Mini Trekker Classic, and Vertex 200.

Had a Slingshot 200 or 300, and wasn't long in getting rid of it.

Have bought a few bags off Camera King on Amazon, and been happy with the service/price.

whyulittle wrote: »

Had a Slingshot 200 or 300, and wasn't long in getting rid of it.

Have bought a few bags off Camera King on Amazon, and been happy with the service/price.

What was it you didn't like about the Slingshot ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

mcgowaner wrote: »
    ]

It works out at about E51 with postage, however it is coming from Hong Kong, all the rest are a bit more expensive, but then again saying that they are much more cheaper than any Dublin Shop, according to the other posts here.

Might wanna factor in VAT and import duty if it's from outside EU. Both are based on combined value of goods + shipping costs.

Just found this site, lots of reviews & loads of pics of the different bags with different kit stored for an idea of the bag capacity :)

http://www.cambags.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lochaber

Alfie1 wrote: »

Went looking for a bag for my new D90 with 18-105 today and I can say that the Slingshot 100 is definitely too small! I got the 200 in the end, I find it comfortable to carry and I don't particularly like shoulder bags...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Have a Tamrac Cyber 6.

Takes a couple of bodies, one with the 80-200 connected plus a few lenses. Separate padded compartment for laptop and plenty of compartments for the accessories.

It can take a 300mm 2.8 but at the expense of a body.

You can pick them up mail order from UK including postage for about €80.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

My cameras and lenses has separate lightweight bags which I have managed to fit into a very light North Face rucksack for airline travel. I intend to carry a stronger bag, stored in my checked luggage, which is heavier and also safe for use in city walks. There are also fabulous strong polythene sacks which protect from moisture. Combined with bubble wrap, these should make shock-proof and very lightweight systems for putting into rucksacks:

http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/packables/packdown-sacks.html

I find the staff in the Snow and Rock shop in the Dundrum Centre extremely friendly and helpful. Rather than buy online I have been able to see anything I need before buying:

http://www.snowandrock.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I have the Slingshot 300 I find it's perfect for my needs I have room for another 2 lenses. I have a Crumpler Pretty boy XL as well which is fine if I only want to carry a body and two lenses (50mm and either 100mm or 16-35mmL) otherwise it's two small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Personally I am mainly using a LowePro Nova5 AW. At 50 euro delivered from Canada it's hard to beat value wise.

If you want something more backpack like I'ld suggest looking at the Flipside 300, though this doesnt have the AW cover.

I used to have a slingshot 200 AW and it was too small, uncomfortable and generally annoying to use, either with only the monostrap or with the stablising strap used also.

Well I found the bag I want to get but I have just run into another problem, this is the bag: (A Lowepro Primus AW in Arctic Blue)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Primus-AW-Back-Pack/dp/B000TWUR5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3GI79VBNSVFZI&s=generic&qid=1232464022&sr=1-1

Its at a pretty good price aswell, I was just about to place the order when I noticed that it can only be posted to the UK, down in the product details section.

Is there any way around this??? Can I post it to somewhere else maybe and then get them to forward it on to me??? Or should I just place the order and hope for the best??? What is the reasoning behind this restriction anyway??

By the way, I emailed cameraking themselves, as I couldn't get through to them on the phone, so I am just waiting for a reply from them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Its at a pretty good price aswell, I was just about to place the order when I noticed that it can only be posted to the UK, down in the product details section.

Is there any way around this??? Can I post it to somewhere else maybe and then get them to forward it on to me??? Or should I just place the order and hope for the best??? What is the reasoning behind this restriction anyway??

Unless you have friends/family in the UK who will accept it for you and then post it on, there's not much you can do. There are many restrictions like this for Amazon and such companies. Sometimes though, the third party company (cameraking) may just post it to you (to keep the business). Wait and see.

Paulw wrote: »
    Unless you have friends/family in the UK who will accept it for you and then post it on, there's not much you can do. There are many restrictions like this for Amazon and such companies. Sometimes though, the third party company (cameraking) may just post it to you (to keep the business). Wait and see.

The only thing is that they have it advertised on their website for 140.95 Pounds, and Amazon has it for sale at 47.95 Pounds, big difference, and I amn't sure why???

The only thing is that they have it advertised on their website for 140.95 Pounds, and Amazon has it for sale at 47.95 Pounds, big difference, and I amn't sure why???

In that case, you may be stuck.

As for the difference - bulk discount to Amazon who are able to offer such prices.

Sometimes it works to your advantage, and sometimes it doesn't.

Interesting thing just happened:

I sent cameraking this email:

" I am interested in purchasing the lowepro primus aw backpack in arctic blue from your amazon page for 47.95 pounds sterling, however just as i was about to pay for the product i noticed that it could only be delivered to the uk, is there anyway around this??? can i purchase and pay the extra delivery costs???"

And within a half an hour I get this email back:

"Hi,

If you buy from Amazon you can choose delivery anywhere in Europe.

There will be an option at the checkout

Thanks/Regards

CameraKing"

So what do I do, do I just buy it and hope nothing goes wrong during he delivery???

They have delivered to me no problem a few times. Came by signed delivery via GLS (I think both times).

Well, to finish up, thanks to "whyoulittle" I figured out that I could get it delivered, even if the delivery prices are expensive. So its on its way and worked out at about E63, at least half the price of any shop here in Dublin, and probably the cheapest you will get. So its the "Lowepro Primus AW Blackpack in Arctic Blue" that I got anyway, in case anyone else was interested in getting it.

So thanks a million to everyone who commented and helped me to choose a suitable bag, and sort out the problems with ordering it, all your help is highly appreciated.

Thanks again,
    All the best,
    Andy

I've an update also, Got my Lowepro Slingshot AW 200 today :) Now I just have to wait for the camera :pac:

Also thanks to all for the info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fecker2000

Hi mcgowaner, how did you get Amazon (Camera King) to deliver the primaus AW ? I ordered it, along with a tripod and simply set the delivery address for Dublin. It seemed to be ok for 3 o4 4 days - everyhting proceeding as planned - until I got an email today from Amazon saying the order has been cancelled. No reason given and it has disappeared from the "Recent Transactions" when I logged back into Amazon.

I assume they went to deliver and saw the Irish address.

Is there any way around this guys ?

Pity if there isn't - great price on that bag !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

wish i'd seen this!

ordered a lowepro direct from cameraking website last weekend.

received a mail straight away saying order confirmed - dispatch 24-48 hours. sweet.

so then yesterday i had a look at the confirmation e-mail again and i see that it has writing down the bottom saying they are awaiting a copy of my credit card statement before they process my order......

i mailed them yesterday morning and again this morning - no reply.

they've taken the money off my credit card anyway.

so - i suppose in a long winded way - my question is has anyone dealt direct with cameraking and do they post orders ok??

i've never been asked for a credit card statement before and would not be happy to give it out to be honest.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

i've never been asked for a credit card statement before and would not be happy to give it out to be honest.

That's not too uncommon. It's a way for them to confirm your address and also that the credit card is yours. Fairly standard safety measure. They want to limit credit card fraud.

thanks PaulW. i had never come across it before adn do a lot of on-line shopping.

i've no access to a scanner etc to send them a statement anyway so i'll just buy the stuff elsewhere - they wont reply to any mails either which isn't too helpful. although they've taken the money from my card now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,508 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The only time anyone ever asked me for a copy of my statement was when I asked for delivery to an address which was not my billing address. In most cases I tell them to p*** off because it's obvious from my office address that it's a bona fide address so I take my business elsewhere.

Tell your credit card company immediately that you were billed before the goods were dispatched and get them to credit your account, the trader is not supposed to debit the card before the goods are sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I just picked up a bag in fairyhouse market there at the weekend for €15
    Its a really good bag

thanks coylemj.

had typed up a reply and the door bell just rang.

i'm off to sit in the corner and hang my head in shame for wasting people's time...

lowe pro vertex here now...:D

so cameraking ok. would be nice if they'd sent me a mail telling me my stuff had posted though - or replied to either of my mails quering what was going on. all ended well though.

I've ordered a few things from Camera King and recommended them here a few times. I've had a couple of bags and monopod delivered without any problems.

EDIT: oops, missed the second page with the resolution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement