Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buzzing noise comming from the back

Options
  • 18-01-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I Went for a drive in a 99 Peugeot 306 and noticed that there was a buzzing noise comming from the rear of the car .

It sounded like the petrol pump but I thought this should not be noising while driving the car ?

Your opinions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Wheelbearing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

bee hive in the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

is it a diesel?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My thoughts were on the fuel pump. Nothing else towards the back that could be buzzing unless you 306 is now rear engined!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

If it's petrol then you will hear the petrol pump running for 5-10 secs after you turn on the ignition but before you crank the starter. Is this the noise you hear ? I wouldn't think you could hear it when the engine is running unless it is faulty ?

Wheel bearing will be a rumble / whine and will vary as the road speed varies, for example would be the same when coasting or when engine is pulling under load. Unlikely to be described as a buzzing. Is the noise present when car is parked or moving ?

Radio off ? - to make sure it's not a faulty speaker ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Dodgy speaker?

EDIT: Oh, sorry, I see that lifer_sean suggested this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

lifer_sean wrote: »
    If it's petrol then you will hear the petrol pump running for 5-10 secs after you turn on the ignition but before you crank the starter. Is this the noise you hear ? I wouldn't think you could hear it when the engine is running unless it is faulty ?

Wheel bearing will be a rumble / whine and will vary as the road speed varies, for example would be the same when coasting or when engine is pulling under load. Unlikely to be described as a buzzing. Is the noise present when car is parked or moving ?

Radio off ? - to make sure it's not a faulty speaker ?

It sounds has if the petrol pump is comming on as the car is driving - Im assuming it should only come on before you crank the engine ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The petrol pump runs the entire time the car is running!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

kbannon wrote: »
    The petrol pump runs the entire time the car is running!

Yes it is, but you shouldn't be able to hear it over the engine noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

Is it only when the car is moving? is it at any particular speed - check if all the windows are closed (and sealed) properly and that there isnt any loose external trim that could start vibrating (in the draft) and check that there isnt anything stuck under the rear of the car which could make the noise when driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Duct-tape isn't tight enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Perhaps you have a bee in your bonnet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

com1 wrote: »
    Is it only when the car is moving? is it at any particular speed - check if all the windows are closed (and sealed) properly and that there isnt any loose external trim that could start vibrating (in the draft) and check that there isnt anything stuck under the rear of the car which could make the noise when driving

Its comming on while driving and is very audible - Must be faulty in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

id check the rear window heater is off aswell (if it has one),my car makes a weird buzzing noise sometimes when i switch it on,even saw smoke coming from it once!!

Advertisement