Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moore Street national monument row

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

There is merit in preserving somethings but not everything.

Now I grew up thinking that the Wood Quay preservation was a super duper world first in preservation even though the techniques used are standard practice in London, so it seems preservation and integration without impeding in development casn be the norm rather than the exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What Wood Quay preservation? They built stonking great Corpo offices on top of the site, and promised to have an internationally important museum of Viking Dublin in the buildings, which was never built!

luckat wrote: »
    What Wood Quay preservation? They built stonking great Corpo offices on top of the site, and promised to have an internationally important museum of Viking Dublin in the buildings, which was never built!

They built the building in a way that it would prererve the maximum underneath it or so they told us. Myself I think they could have put the offices on the Ballycoolin Industrial Estate and it would make very little difference to the services they offer.

Money gets spent on supposed preservation etc and its a finite budget.

Archaelogists get jobs etc and it becomes an industry and it soaks up the budget,

It probably should be the case that the funding and administration of such things should be more inventive. Could they be preserved in the structure like Powerscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The Eyre Square shopping centre in Galway incorporates a section of the 14th century wall within it. I dont know how authentic it is and obviously its easier to merge a wall than a row of houses but there should be a way for the two to coexist.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    The Eyre Square shopping centre in Galway incorporates a section of the 14th century wall within it. I dont know how authentic it is and obviously its easier to merge a wall than a row of houses but there should be a way for the two to coexist.

The Irish Life Mall incorporates some stuff in the car park.

So it can be done.

I dont think they will ever be a tourist draw any more than Georgian Dublin is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

The Moore Street houses will make a wonderful museum commemorating the GPO garrison in 1916, if the developer agrees and the OPW does the work. At the moment, though, this is not part of the developer's plans.

I'm not for "preserving everything". But I'm not for knocking everything down and replacing it with glass and steel. And these houses in Moore Street are a special case.

Remember when Kilmainham Gaol was just a derelict building? It was turned into a museum *by volunteers*, against the massed disapproval of the establishment, and it is now the second most visited place in the country. Schools, tourists and Irish people flood into it.

I'm not for "preserving everything". But I'm not for knocking everything down and replacing it with glass and steel. And these houses in Moore Street are a special case.

Remember when Kilmainham Gaol was just a derelict building? It was turned into a museum *by volunteers*, against the massed disapproval of the establishment, and it is now the second most visited place in the country. Schools, tourists and Irish people flood into it.

Kilmainham Gaol was almost derelict anyway at the time of the executions anyway.

Really -while I disagree with you there is nothing into integrating it as a feature but only if its possible.

Its been almost a century since 1916 and there are so many commemorations around the place its unreal. The GPO has lots of offices in it etc and was the place and is a public building. The Four Courts is also a significant site and is a public building. Dublin Castle is in public ownership as is the gatekeepers lodge in Stephens Green where Countess Markevitz took tea with the Groundskeeper.

So if you cant make do and commemorate and do visitor center's and tours with what you have I really don't see the point of putting more resourses in to put conditions on the preservation of buildings the state doesnt own and has not been concerned with until now.

The development could regenerate and drag up that area of Dublin City center and provide employment etc to the area. The Northside of O Connell Street has always been neglected and its about time something was brought in as a centerpiece to Dublin's mainstreet. It should be booming like Oxford Street in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The Moore Street houses will make a wonderful museum commemorating the GPO garrison in 1916, if the developer agrees and the OPW does the work. At the moment, though, this is not part of the developer's plans.

Couldn't agree more. In terms of tourism benefit and of preserving the heritage relative to the birth of our nation in our recent past and also for the educational value it is a bit of a no brainer in my view. The main opposition to this that I can see would be mercenary developers or or the anti-republican elements who wish it had never happened to begin with.

Morlar wrote: »
    The main opposition to this that I can see would be mercenary developers or or the anti-republican elements who wish it had never happened to begin with.

So to disagree with the proposal is to be non-patriotic.

Thanks a bunch.

I wont be voting for you next election:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

This has now been given planning permission - though the press release at (5.20pm Friday afternoon nice !) is scant on details as to what exactly this means to the Moore St heritage location ;

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/900m-carlton-cinema-redevelopment-gets-go-ahead-451552.html

26/03/2010 - 17:22:45
    A €900m redevelopment of the former Carlton Cinema site on O'Connell Street in Dublin has been given the go-ahead by An Bord Pleanála.

The 800 thousand square foot scheme will cover the area between Parnell Street on the north and Henry Street on the south and will create 3,500 construction jobs and 4,500 permanent jobs.

The developers Chartered Land had been involved in lengthy discussions with Dublin City Council over the site, amid concerns over the height of some of the buildings and for the historical Moore Street, which forms part of the site.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/900m-carlton-cinema-redevelopment-gets-go-ahead-451552.html#ixzz0jJ8CiZRT

• Advertisement
Advertisement