Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schnauzer

Options
  • 18-01-2009 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Im thinking about getting a schnauzer but I don't know of anybody who has one so I was hoping someone here might be able to help me and offer some advice on what I have written below.

Im looking for a dog who is fairly placid, kind, and good with children. I would prefer a dog that doesn't need alot of exercise and doesnt mind being inside for alot of the day. And finally, I want a dog that sheds very little or not at all. Does the schnauzer fit this profile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Ellie I posted here re schnauzer before, this was exactly what I was looking for but I think my problems were due to backyard in-breeding rather than the actual schnauzer.

I was recommended a breeder through the schnauzer club so I thought all would be ok, dont buy just because of recommendation. They are extremely smart dogs and I noticed this very very quickly, he tested me in every possible way. He could open doors at only 4 months old.

Shed wise, he did not shed too much and I groomed him myself, I bought the razor and trimmed his beard and legs with a scissors and comb so he was pristine looking, I did this maybe once every 8 weeks.

Unfortunately mine did not like the baby but was good with all other kids. His bark was very very loud and he was a very vocal dog but again not due to the breed as I have seen some very quiet schnauzers.

I do think though that the minature schnauzer may suit you better, after my research this is what I had decided on but wanted a bigger dog as I was living in a large country house and wanted a family dog which I also thought may be a useful enough guad dog. For us it wasnt to be, as he did not get along with the baby! I wish you luck though, like I said be carefulo of breeder and I am almost sure I saw a minature on donedeal recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

We got a minature schnauzer about 2 years ago. Great dog that doesn't mind staying indoors long spells (as myself and the wife both work). He doesn't shed but needs grooming about once every 2 months. You can do this yourself of course - but we prefer to give the job to somebody else.
    He's very good with kids but that's because we've introduced him at a young age. Very gentle and from good stock. I recommend you talk to the kennel club re a good breeder - getting a puppy would be better than an adult dog as they'll get used to your routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ellie19

Thanks for the advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 guess

hey ya,

i just saw your post, i have a female stan[SIZE=-1]dar[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d schnauzer. She will be a year in feb. She is a very social [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dog, likes to be in the centre of everything. You have to be very persistant in training them. She is very smart, learnt tricks very quickly as a young pup. Shes a goo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d gaur[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dog alrea[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dy. We got her from a very goo[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d bree[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]der in [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dublin. Stock from Englan[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d, papers shown an[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d was talke[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d through with us. She takes a trip to the groomers every 2half mts about. I prefer to have her short hair with bear[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d & eyebrows, easier to keep. Besi[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]des that [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]does not she[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d once brushe[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d through [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]during the week. She is a very strong [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dog alrea[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]dy..She was very easy to house train..Although i live in a house with 4 frien[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ds, she got really attatche[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d to me, will sit outsi[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]de my be[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]droom for hours when im gone out..[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]She hasnt figure[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d out how to open [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]doors yet though, thank go[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d!!
    Any other q's please PM. I am happy i chose this bree[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]d.[/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 guess

this is herself, Jess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Now I hope this post will not discourage you from getting a schnauzer as they are lovely dogs in general.
    I had a female medium schanuzer when I was a teenager that was bought from a very good breeder ( daughter of champions with papers etc.) The lady has strongly stated that the pup go to adult or family with older children only- and she was right to do so. Our Mora hated babies and little children to the point we had to be very careful if she was around them ( on the leash and controlled). Nothing ever happened, but then again we were extremely cautious. I dont really think it was the breed, I think it was just this dog and the breeder was aware of what the dog disliked. Otherwise she was ( passed away a few years ago) an absolutely lovely, very much loved by all of us, dog. She required regular grooming but did not shed any hair, was sooo smart to learn new tricks and playful, very clean, loved our company, lazy as hell ( did not require much exercise, just happy lying in the garden all day in the sun, or in front of the fire in the winter, and two 20 minute walks were usually more than enough, providing she had an access to the garden if she needed to go). She lived for 14 years ( apparently very long for her breed ? ) and we all still miss her!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

ellie19 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a dog who is fairly placid, kind, and good with children. I would prefer a dog that doesn't need a lot of exercise and doesn't mind being inside for a lot of the day. And finally, I want a dog that sheds very little or not at all. Does the schnauzer fit this profile?

Hi,

If temperament is the most important factor, which it should be if there are children involved, I wouldn't worry too much about champions in the bloodlines.

Don't get me wrong here, excellent breeding with good temperament would be the best.

The problem sometimes with so called reputable breeders is that they breed for the show ring and the important things like temperament are sacrificed for appearance.

Ideally if you could buy a pup where you could see both parents and some of the grand parents would give some indication of the temperament.

Advertisement