Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Figurative sculpture planned for Liffey scrapped

Options
  • 18-01-2009 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭

THE DUBLIN Docklands Authority has said it will not be going ahead with the 46m (150ft) steel sculpture of a human figure in the river Liffey because of the cost of the project.

The authority had estimated last year that the sculpture by British artist Antony Gormley would cost up to €1.6 million to build.

An Bord Pleanála granted permission this week for the sculpture, which would have been almost the same height as the Statue of Liberty.

The authority said yesterday it was “very pleased” to have got planning permission for the sculpture, which was an important element of its arts strategy, but would not be erecting it.

“The sculpture is an important element of the Docklands Arts Strategy as outlined in its recently adopted 2008 master plan aimed at ensuring that arts and culture become part of the Docklands identity,” a spokeswoman said.

“However, given the current economic environment, the Docklands Authority will not be proceeding with this development.” The project would be kept under review, she said.

The steel-lattice figure was to have been erected in the water at City Quay, 30m (100ft) to the east of Seán O’Casey Bridge and 12m (40ft) from the quay wall.

At exactly 46.2m (151.57ft) above the water, based on the river’s mid-low spring tide level, the sculpture would have been just 30cm (11.8 inches) shorter than the Statue of Liberty from her foot to the top of her torch.

Gormley is most famous for his Angel of the North in Gateshead, England.

An Bord Pleanála had granted permission for the Liffey sculpture to stand for 10 years, after which it would either be dismantled or new planning permission obtained.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Understandable why they're not going ahead with it but its a shame none the less. Dublin could do with a few more instantly recognisable buildings / artwork as it give's it a chance of developing an iconic skyline which can only be good for tourism and the like.

I quite like some of Anthony Gormleys other prejects so it would have been good to have 1 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

what will the spire do on its own !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I can't say I'm disappointed. While I've always been a fan of the equally controversial Spire, I never liked Gormleys Liffey Sculpture. Not where it was located anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Sure they wasted millions on other projects like CHQ, and a square in Grand Canal Dock that they had to dig up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

jdivision wrote: »
    Sure they wasted millions on other projects like CHQ, and a square in Grand Canal Dock that they had to dig up afterwards.
    Sure that was when we were rich

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭johnmahon010186

Anyone know if there's a picture or sketch available of what the sculpture would of looked like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone know if there's a picture or sketch available of what the sculpture would of looked like?

Here ya go..

attachment.php?attachmentid=70853&stc=1&d=1232408837

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

gormley2.jpg
    Image links to better/bigger version

I'm a little sad at this, a Gormley statue in Dublin would have been good and it definitely would be more iconic than that yoke on O'Connell St

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I was hoping they would build this, we need stuff like this in Dublin. As far as I know, DDA were paying for it, it's not like taxpayers were. They wanted something you could associate the area with. Looks like they'll just repaint the poolbeg chimneys then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it would have only ended up with a bra and knickers on it every saturday morning, like the figures in Blackrock :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Sad to hear that they are not going ahead with this. I like Gormleys stuff. The 'Angel of the North' is magnifficent and I went to see another installation of his in the Wirrell where there are 100 lifesize casts standing on the beach that gradually get revealed as the tide falls. Strange, bizzare even, but it made the walk a lot more interesting as I tried in vain to explain to my kids why the naked rusting men were 'art'.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I was hoping they would build this, we need stuff like this in Dublin. As far as I know, DDA were paying for it, it's not like taxpayers were. They wanted something you could associate the area with. Looks like they'll just repaint the poolbeg chimneys then

Well the taxpayers were not footing the bill, but that money is for "regeneration" of the docklands area.. So it would be built instead of projects/facilities etc for the youth, eldery in the docklands area.. I don't know about others but I would like to see that money go towards what it was intended for, building a statue of a guy that seems to be pissing on the quays ain't art IMO and does little for the area??

And it still maybe built, its just on the back burner for the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Good, tbh. Horrible plan, horrible sculpture. Hope nothing like it ever defaces the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's an awful looking thing anyway, if it ever does go ahead I say we generously give it to Cork city to put in the Lee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

‘Delay’ to 46m Liffey Leviathan was a tall story

Suggestions that the DDDA has scrapped plans for a giant wire man sculpture are nonsense, claims its creator Antony Gormley
    Colin Coyle

IT appears to be a giant misunderstanding. Antony Gormley, the creator of the proposed sculpture of a 46m wire man in the Liffey, claims the project has not been postponed and could begin as early as this summer.

Gormley said that the €1.6m set aside for the “Liffey Leviathan” has been ring-fenced by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) to be spent on a landmark art project.

He will be meeting with the authority next month to finalise tender documents. “There’s no delay,” he said. “The international art world is watching Dublin and it would be foolish not to go ahead.”

It was recently reported that the DDDA had postponed the project because of the cost. In a statement the authority said that, given the economic environment, it would not be proceeding with the development but would instead keep it under review. The DDDA now claims its position was misinterpreted.

Gormley said tender documents would be issued by the DDDA in mid-February. The authority has exhibited a “bold and brave act of patronage” by selecting his vision for the Liffey after an international invite-only competition, he believes.

“I would be surprised and disappointed if the project didn’t go ahead as planned. I have every confidence that they will complete their vision,” he said. “The project should stand apart from financial values.”

The sculptor has already invested a “huge amount of time” on the work and is confident that construction can begin as early as July. Mary McCarthy, the authority’s arts manager, said that the DDDA’s statement was misunderstood.

“We said that we were reviewing the timeline of the project but it certainly hasn’t been scrapped. We have to decide whether it will be financed out of this year’s budget or next year’s but the money has been ring-fenced,” she said.

McCarthy said the project is only one month behind schedule. “We are hoping to go to market with tender documents in March and we would like to have a contractor by summer. We can then decide when to commence the build,” she said.

“Dublin needs to present a positive image to the world and show we’re progressive, ambitious and open for business.”

Gormley, best known for the Angel of the North, a giant sculpture in Gateshead that has become a symbol of the north of England, believes that the steel figure could become similarly emblematic of Dublin.

He hopes to erect the steel-lattice figure in the water at City Quay, 40ft from the quay wall.

Gormley said the economic downturn could benefit the project as contractors are cutting prices and the cost of stainless steel and fuel have dropped. “There’s a very different financial climate now but that should increase the likelihood of finding an affordable Irish contractor for the project. Conditions are more favourable now.”

The sculpture still needs a foreshore licence. “Once that has been granted, it’s full steam ahead,” Gormley said.

An Bord Pleanála granted planning permission earlier this month, which runs for ten years. After that, the DDDA will have to apply to retain the sculpture or dismantle it.

When completed, it will be just 10m lower than Liberty Hall.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5581152.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Balls.

*rings Lord Mayor of Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I like it and glad it's going ahead.

Advertisement