Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subway !!

Options
  • 18-01-2009 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭

Went into Subway on the Tuam Road earlier today around 1pm and asked for the Sub of the day which happened to be spicy Italian.

I asked the girl that I'd like it without Salami if that was ok as I've done this on numerous occasions.

She refused and said she had to put the Salami and pointed at the display board and told me that Salami must be in the spicy Italian sandwich.:eek:

I tried to explain that it would actually be less work for her, no joy.

I left the shop actually laughing, mainly at her stupidity.

Drove down to the Subway beside Tesco and ordered the same and the girl there said no bother and loaded it with extra Pepperoni !:pac:

Eventfull stuff on a Sunday afternoon in Galway !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭swimgal08

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Went into Subway on the Tuam Road earlier today around 1pm and asked for the Sub of the day which happened to be spicy Italian.

I asked the girl that I'd like it without Salami if that was ok as I've done this on numerous occasions.

She refused and said she had to put the Salami and pointed at the display board and told me that Salami must be in the spicy Italian sandwich.:eek:

I tried to explain that it would actually be less work for her, no joy.

I left the shop actually laughing, mainly at her stupidity.

Drove down to the Subway beside Tesco and ordered the same and the girl there said no bother and loaded it with extra Pepperoni !:pac:

Eventfull stuff on a Sunday afternoon in Galway !

That would have to make you laugh as well as annoy you ... any bets the girl who served you in the one on the tuam road wasn't Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

They're probably told not to vary the sandwiches. "No this, extra that, etc..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

:), often had that "experience" in the Tuam road outlet. I don't eat pork/ham and have given up on asking for the Sub of the Day when its Turkey and Ham, No, you can't have Turkey only, it has to have the Ham.....(even though its costing them less as they don't have to supply ham:(). So they expect you to pay more for a regular Turkey sub which cost less on those particular days to make??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Can't remember what Subway it was in but I asked for Pepperoni instead of meat of Salami in one of they're Subs and I was told I would have to pay for extra meat!! Even though I was only swapping meat. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I will *not* succumb to tiredness/boredom/pure juvenile humour and make ANY reference whatsoever to hiding the salami.

Wait, did I say that in my outside voice:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Was she foreign? I only ask because one thing I've noticed is that foreign workers, particularly eastern Europeans, tend to have this obsession with doing everything by the book and not using any discretion/common sense.

And before the PC brigade attack, that was a comment on workers, not the people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Was she foreign? I only ask because one thing I've noticed is that foreign workers, particularly eastern Europeans, tend to have this obsession with doing everything by the book and not using any discretion/common sense.

And before the PC brigade attack, that was a comment on workers, not the people themselves.

You're commenting on how foreigners work. That's a comment on the people themselves.

Not that I'm surprised. Now I can say the Irish are backwards racists. (generalizations are fun, aren't they?)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I know Germans are sticklers for process, perhaps EEs are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's huge cultural stuff that comes into play with customer service and 'flexibility'. It can work both ways..look at our bus 'timetables' :)
    We are very good at the 'ish'. Not as good sometimes though as parts of India for example, where trains are days late.

The opposite can have as many pros and cons. I often use the following as an example of the 'by the book' ethic often found in some American corps;

A friend rang Greyhound bus and said "I need a bus to x and I needs to be there by y time, so do you have a bus leaving at 1pm?"

"No Mam"

"Really?" "No bus that leaves at 1pm? I thought I caught one at this time last month"

"No Mam, there has never been a 1pm bus"

"I need to get there by 5 pm, is there a 2pm bus?"

"No Mam, next one is at 3.15"

"C*ap, ok, what time is the one before that then?"

"The bus before the 3.15 bus leaves at 1.03 Mam"

"I thought you said there was no 1PM bus"

"that's right Mam. The bus earlier bus leaves at 1.03"

Jesus!:eek::mad::rolleyes::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Noticing alot more Irish people working in retail in the last few months...very sour lookin faces on alot of them!! Was in Dublin on the weekend though and there was very few Irish workin in shops or restaraunts there..saw 2 dudes workin in a foot locker and thats about it. It should be interesting to see how things will turn out when the recession really takes hold. I know some out of work that are too good to work in a shop or factory etc. Sink or Swim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,482 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yeah she was foreign but then so was the girl in the Subway beside Tesco and she was sound so dont think that mattered.

A lack of commom sense was definitely the case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

The thing about common sense is that its not too common!

I find the tuam road Subway are by far the best for filling up the sandwiches with loads of salad and even more meat in some cases. Some of the Subways around town just put in tiny bits of salad which really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I find the tuam road Subway are by far the best for filling up the sandwiches with loads of salad and even more meat in some cases. Some of the Subways around town just put in tiny bits of salad which really annoys me.

Ask for more, if they refuse you can just walk - Try it, the look on their faces is comical :pac:

I also find that the more overweight the person making the sandwich is,the more they put in it !

Xiney wrote: »
    You're commenting on how foreigners work. That's a comment on the people themselves.

Not that I'm surprised. Now I can say the Irish are backwards racists. (generalizations are fun, aren't they?)

What a class A mug. I'm not Irish for a start. I generally find eastern Europeans to be really sound people, the fellas anyway, I find most of the women to come across as pretty rude but I think that's just a language barrier thing. I like them as people, think a lot of them are hard workers, but they often refuse to use a bit of common sense. Like when my friend was refused alcohol in Aldi because he didn't have an AgeCard like the poster said.... but he had a passport.

What a class A mug. I'm not Irish for a start. I generally find eastern Europeans to be really sound people, the fellas anyway, I find most of the women to come across as pretty rude but I think that's just a language barrier thing. I like them as people, think a lot of them are hard workers, but they often refuse to use a bit of common sense. Like when my friend was refused alcohol in Aldi because he didn't have an AgeCard like the poster said.... but he had a passport.

Similar thing happened a mate of mine at a certain nightclub last year.

He produced a passport at the door but the polish bouncer refused,said he needed an age card ! He is also in his late 20's !

Certain nightclub? Name and shame mate. Although GPO seem to be the main nightclub with Polish bouncers, and they're sound guys.

Certain nightclub? Name and shame mate. Although GPO seem to be the main nightclub with Polish bouncers, and they're sound guys.

was in fact the GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He produced a passport at the door but the polish bouncer refused,said he needed an age card ! He is also in his late 20's !

Yeah, but that might have been a simpler thing to say than "You're drunk already and look troublesome, please go away".

I've had factory managers tell me that they like the Eastern European workers a lot more than the Irish they used to have: the EE's follow procedures, remember what you told them last week, and don't turn up late and reeking of drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Not that I'm surprised. Now I can say the Irish are backwards racists.
    And you'd be right too. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

While I would agree with you based on many observations from boards (e.g. a huge number of threads here and in After Hours), I don't think its really fair in this case, its just a cultural observation. Its not a matter of "all Eastern Europeans don't use common sense" its more like "the Irish tend to be less by-the-book than other nationalities". Which, less face it, seems to be true in many cases. In fact there was a discussion on our "chancer" culture on the radio this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

can't beat subway..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

can't beat vivo..

Fixed your post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

It's the Epos system limiting them to what they can do.

Sub of the day is a certain price, when they press the button on the till to sell it, it will take off the ingredients that make that days sub from their stock totals.

If they start mixing and matching for the customers it throws the stock out and they get penalised for having crap stock figures.

MattKid wrote: »
    It's the Epos system limiting them to what they can do.

Sub of the day is a certain price, when they press the button on the till to sell it, it will take off the ingredients that make that days sub from their stock totals.

If they start mixing and matching for the customers it throws the stock out and they get penalised for having crap stock figures.

He could have just thrown the unused salami away, or eaten it ¬_¬

Advertisement